Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 10:40:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 98
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiction  (Read 25201 times)
Charles

« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

They are much smaller and pussy cats compared to here.  Still interested?   Cool
johnr60

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »

reader

Thank you.  I was going to do that but still think it a waste of time and energy.  In the meantime,

queer queer queer
polock polock polock
jesus jesus jesus
Charles

« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2007, 09:05:24 PM »

I'm sorry I started this.

I promise I won't be deterred by any words if I decide to read the book.
I promise I won't complain if anyone uses words during a discussion.
I promise to stay on-topic during a discussion if that is not too utterly boring.

Lips sealed
Charles

« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2007, 04:44:59 AM »

Reader, I'll put together a PM.  You might find something of interest.
Charles

« Reply #334 on: August 04, 2007, 11:05:23 AM »

Reader,
I have found great rewards in rereading books that have any complexity at all.  I think Nabokov said it was the only way to read.
As for "shelf."  Don't even ask!  I know the problem.  Right now I'm reading The Brown Plague by Daniel GuĂ©rin, so I can at least finish one of my "partials."
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: August 04, 2007, 01:48:03 PM »

I can see that Absalom is going to deserve at least one re-read.  Chapter Seven and I'm finally getting that the reason it's so hard is that Thomas Sutpen doesn't really exist as Thomas Sutpen.  He exists only as perception.  The question becomes whose perception gets it?  None? All? 

Also finding interesting Faulkner's depiction of the feminine role.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:51:45 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: August 04, 2007, 06:14:24 PM »

Charles, re:#487

Are you reading the paperback or the original?  I've heard that there was a lot of rewrite in which he cleaned up passages that had less to do with what he found in Germany than with whom he found available, before the paperback could go to print. 

Are you interested in any of the aspects that became another book re: the relationship of business/capitalism to nazism/facism in light of today's resemblence to the period of correspondence directed to German business corporations prior to the election of the Reichs-chancellor of the writer who sent the correspondence?

I knew the name Guerin was familiar and thought at first he might have been a  Falangist but then recognized his identity from photographs taken in the decades before his death in '88. So, in that sense of one who marched as late as the 1968 Paris riots, he was actually  Libertarian-Anarchist who is kind of a rare-breed but sometimes pesky if you have to learn their identifying metier by arguing with one of them week after week for a year or so as a practice run.  His rough-trade posed photographs are amusant.
Charles

« Reply #337 on: August 04, 2007, 08:49:51 PM »

Maddie. I'm aware of there having been a rewrite to clean up the content.  It will take a reread to pin down which content I have.  As for correspondences between then and now, thanks, but I don't get involved in those analyses on public fora.
Charles

« Reply #338 on: August 07, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »

Reader,
Definitely interested now!  Going to look into that and his previous, Pattern Recognition.
Charles

« Reply #339 on: August 07, 2007, 08:53:11 PM »

Reader, The first few pages of PR look just fine, and even I can recognize Neuromancer, so that doesn't hurt my interest either.  Nothing against SciFi; I read it selectively.  In between all the other reading.  Roll Eyes
Charles

« Reply #340 on: August 09, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »

Yes, as it is frequently said, "We are all adults here."   Smiley
rmdig

« Reply #341 on: August 09, 2007, 02:13:08 PM »

This thread regarding "bad words" seems to have taken on a life of its own. 

I have no objection to reading and discussing books that employ words and/or characterizations that we now consider offensive, nor do I think such books should be banned or bowdlerized.  My only contention was that some readers here might find the frequent appearance of the N-word in Absalom, Absalom! offensive and objectionable, and I wanted to alert those who have not read the book about this.  That's all folks.

martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2007, 11:45:21 AM »

NYTEMPSPERDU, this is a free K/SF service-part of my work as Apossell:

I have published this before in the nyt days but apparently you have paid no notice to it and you really need it.Thy lack of swearing words shows the poverty of thy anger language:

http://www.museangel.net/insult.html
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2007, 02:35:27 AM »

I seem to recall that Shakespeare insult generator some years ago in the NYTimes forums(Meander?) was a hoot.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2007, 09:17:09 PM »

That the WASP Nathan too is not a pollinator?  That because he does not grow and can't be expected to garden?  (especially when the thing to be gardened is souls)

As a pollinator of souls, Nathan can only fail.  His own soul is corrupt.  His faith has been undermined by fear.  The fear and corruption can only produce mutations of the original, the only faith is is capable of engendering would necessarily be offshoots of his own distorted soul.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 98
  Print  

Jump to: