Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 05:02:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiction  (Read 25178 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:46:18 PM »

Share your thoughts on your favorite works of fiction.
Newkid

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 04:32:30 PM »

Share your thoughts on your favorite works of fiction.

Anyone interested in Harry Turtledove's works?
Newkid

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:51:08 AM »

i can't say that I've picked up Nabokov since 'Lolita' in my high school days.  I did read 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' as research for a newspaper column I'm writing.  Just as charming now as it was in the 1940s.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 12:28:25 PM »

Most people seem to think "Lolita" when Nabokov is mentioned, perhaps because of the scandalous idea behind the novel, perhaps because it was made and re-made into a movie.  But Nabokov's works offer so much more..."Lolita" is Nabokov's most famous, but it isn't his best.

"The Gift" is wonderful...Sadness, longing, the power of memory, laugh out loud scenes...Nabokov writes them all. 

http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Vladimir-Nabokov/dp/0679727256/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-4620779-7320800?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179246330&sr=8-2

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 08:22:19 PM »

I found I couldn't get into "Prodigal Summer", but "Poisonwood Bible" sounds very good.  I know there are other fans of Kingsolver here, too. 

And as far as Ovid, I love anything old.  And as to Ovid, I don't have a very good edition...any suggestions out there?
kitp

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »

I have been a longtime lurker on NYT. Now, I wonder if you will be choosing books to read or just discuss any book one is reading.
KitP
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »

Kitp...It seems that right now people are discussing what they are reading, except on the American History forum where they decided on a specific book to read. 

Probably as this site evolves, the discussions will become more organized. 

Is there a specific book you are wanting to discuss? 

Maybe some of the people who wanted to read "Journeys Without Maps" will discuss it here.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 04:08:45 PM »

Reader...I've looked at that one.  I like the side-by-side translation, but I was hoping to find one in verse form.  Maybe Metamorphosis is one of those texts where keeping the translation in its original form sacrifices too much in meaning.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »

Yes!  I vote for The Poisonwood Bible, too.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »

I would like to give "that person's" novels another chance, but I won't have the chance to read "it" before June.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 02:26:17 PM »

Last night I ordered The Poisonwood Bible, and wondered by the author's name was a no-no on this forum. I look forward to reading some fiction for a change. I usually read books on history. But with such an intriguing title, it looks worth the time. I was also going to order The Sot Weed Factor, but it was too expensive even in used version for my budget.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 03:16:24 PM »

and wondered by the author's name was a no-no on this forum.
It's bad luck, like saying Macbeth to an actor.  It goes back to the NYT Books forum, where it was widely believed that the mention of "The Scottish Author" would bring about the present death of the forum into which the name was interjected.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 10:41:49 AM »

Funny to hear Kingsolver mentioned, as I just inherited a copy of Prodigal Summer and a friend informed me that one of its characters has an inner ear problem similar to my own.  This fact was not initially compelling enough to make me want to dive into it, but perhaps these postings here constitute some kind of sign or omen or what have you.  I greatly enjoyed The Bean Trees, but I haven't read any more of her works since.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Charles

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »

Might as well try out the mechanics of this forum with a first post and a lost vote for The GiftCool
Nabokov, of course.
charlesroy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 08:32:30 PM »

Babs is always a great choice for me. Did y'all know she has a new book out, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of food life? It looks great, but it's nonfiction.

So The Poisonwood Bible gains my vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98
  Print  

Jump to: