Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 03:13:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiction  (Read 25160 times)
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1410 on: March 20, 2008, 08:22:17 AM »

Arthur C. Clarke, 90, Science Fiction Writer, Dies

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/books/19clarke.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Arthur C. Clarke, a writer whose seamless blend of scientific expertise and poetic imagination helped usher in the space age, died early Wednesday in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where he had lived since 1956. He was 90.

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1411 on: March 20, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/books/20clar.html?_r=1&ref=books&oref=slogin
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1412 on: March 20, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »

Clarke novels fondly remembered....

The Sands of Mars
Rendezvous With Rama
Childhood's End
Light of Other Days (w/ Stephen Baxter)
2001 (the whole series, through 3001 is solid SF)
The Hammer of God

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1413 on: March 21, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »

Barton, you've got to talk to martinbeck3 in Latin American Literature forum.

He can show you where the best posts on Borges are located; there is a considerable discussion there from earlier in the year, kind of battling our way through Borges, which was sometimes more dis-agreement than dis-cussion. (When you add a few picky people to the mess, who cannot think outside the box.)   You will find nnyhav is a great help for extra-curricular materials .
Cornelius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1414 on: March 23, 2008, 12:57:34 PM »

re #1395:  First time that actual contemporaneous knowledge of anything has explicitly excused me from participation anyplace.  But I'll stay out. 'S OK.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1415 on: March 23, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »

Cornelius, I had to track back to comprehend what you had said in your own post but, I'm on your side in this because when I reread the bottom line, I recalled reading it when posted and thought to myself that leaves out those of us who were really affected for life by what we saw and therefore knew as the truth of what had taken place.

In other words, it put into context all those little daily things in our childhood that had gone before the day, in my case, when I opened the latest copy of Life Magazine as usual(my father was a physician who regularly subscribed to things like Life, and Holiday Magazine, and maybe several women's magazines that my mother really did not have a lot of time to peruse, and then when we had read through them --he took them downtown to the office so the patients could read something better in the waiting-room than the usual  pharmaceutical or AMA literature).

Just as we had followed the war at the front through the photography of those photo-journalists who accompanied the men as they progressed across Europe (and Asia) dressed just as they were, living in the same conditions, eventually they arived at the end.

I opened Life Magazine and there were the concentration camps.

Over time, the releases of confiscated documentation that the Nazi high-command and military administrators of camps, and particularly the SS Einsatzgruppen assigned to village detail and clear out forests covering refugees in Eastern Europe, revealed the films and photographs of their daily activities  and they were published.  In fact quite recently the nytimes.com. ,via International Herald Tribune, it may have been
R. Cohen, really not sure, placed the column from IHT into a blog for commentary on the photographs released at a well known Tyrolean
(r and r; what we call "recreation and rehabilitation") spot  at the time, where emotionally and psychologically stressed out  SS could relax and recuperate from their horrendous duties, in the company of various maedchen, office-help no doubt, who dressed in the standard regulation like advanced girl graduates of the  Bund Deutscher Mädel !

This particularly offended the readers/posters, how smilingly unaware these young ladies seemed to be partying in the vicinity of Berchtesgaden, to gladen the severly depressed men  who ordinarily drank extremely heavily as they were issued extra rations of alcohol by the SS in order to be able to do their duty.  It bothers me today that our own countrymen do not see the parallel of what was done then and we have done now by preferably looking the other way.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:28:47 PM by madupont » Logged
Cornelius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1416 on: March 24, 2008, 05:57:07 AM »

Well Maddie,  I guess you too are excused from posting.
Strange feeling isn't it?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1417 on: March 24, 2008, 12:33:12 PM »

Oh, I've been excused on previous occasions; some think of that as historic around here. I just call it "generation gap".
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1418 on: March 24, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »

All the talk about The Ladies' Detective Agency and I had to take a look for myself.  About half-way through book one, and Mma is such a wise woman!  Although, she takes her losses with a grain of salt, too, as in the boyfriend Jack story. 

But, any of you know how you might pronounce "mma" and "mme"?  Is it pronounced nasally? or perhaps in the back of the throat?  I have always had a problem when reading, that when I come across a name I can't pronounce, I have to stop and re-figure it each time I see it.  Annoying, but years and years of reading, and it's something I've never been able to overcome.
qpowellx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1419 on: March 24, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »

Oh, Hoffman, I am so glad you took a look. I always love your take on stuff.  of course, I took to the books because I love detectives who are different(squinty eyed and waxed mustouches and all) and had never encountered someone of my skin color solving crimes and finding people. I decided to pronounce it "Ah-Ma", because some American blacks use that term, usually for a grandmother though.  Be curious what other people think.  Q
qpowellx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1420 on: March 24, 2008, 02:30:20 PM »

"Ah Ma", emphasis on the  Ma. Don't know how to do it naselled.  Wondered about a tongue click. Q
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1421 on: March 24, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »

Qpowellx, and all others interested in the pronunciation of "Mma," here is a site that might help, besides the fact that all the replies are interesting to boot.  People from all over the world are reading about Precious Ramotswe and JTL Matekoni, at work at Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, and at home on Zebra Lane.

http://www.africaguide.com/forum/botswana/203.html

From what I gather, I've been pronouncing Mma right: mmMah ( mm being a short humming sound before saying Mah.)

There's a new one coming out in April.  That's probably in the UK, though.  And the UK editions often have different titles.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:02:56 PM by Donotremove » Logged
qpowellx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1422 on: March 24, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »

Thanks, Donotremove.   From the horse's mouth. Q

"... Mma is pronounced "mah" (that is, with a long a), and rra is similarly pronounced "rar". The double m and the double r slightly strengthen the mo and r sound, but only slightly. I hope that you enjoy the fourth book in due course!

Very best wishes,
Alexander McCall Smith"
(from http://www.randomhouse.com/features/mccallsmith/ask2.html)

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1423 on: March 24, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »

Thank you Qpowellx and Donotremove....most helpful!
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1424 on: March 24, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »

Qpowellx....I enjoy the more unusual detectives, too.  One of my favorites is MC Beaton's Hamish MacBeth.  I think I like him because he reminds me of the stories my father would tell us about his father growing up in a small Scottish town. 

Along with her adventures, one of the things I am enjoying about Mma R is her unapologetic love for and pride in her country. 
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98
  Print  

Jump to: