Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 23, 2018, 09:20:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 163
  Print  
Author Topic: Meander Where You May  (Read 30449 times)
teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 08:50:37 PM »

Is it still possible to reply to a particular post?  I wanted to greet donotremove, a familiar name, but find no "reply" on his/her post.

You can use the quote button which will dump the post that you are responding to in the editor as a quote.

You can also click the 'messages icon' to the left of the subject.  This works best if someone else has called their message by a different subject as it will put a 're:' in front of the subject of your post's reply -- if that makes any sense.

Liquidsilver -- thanks again!  This is an amazing achievement -- the whole thing.  I only hope you're not psrain -- but Whiskey assures me you're mainly a denizen of the Sports forums = by the way, the Vancouver Canucks seventh game against Texas Stars (Donotremove -- that's your team) tonight and the way they've been playing, may well lose in this first battle of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 08:53:30 PM »

Liquidsilver -- by the way, were you ever known by another name on the old Meander?  Thanks for link to old Exiles.

whiskeypriest

Group: Members
April 20, 2007 @ 12:30 PM
QUOTE:
On the whole, a slow reader as always.
By the way, how you coming on A Frolic of One's Own?

Whiskey -- a quick search indicates it remains on my shelf. 
liq was always liq, but he pretty much was confined to the sports forums, I think.

Oddly, Frolic is in one of the boxes of books in my basement, the bookmark firmly implanted at page 47.

Ha -- just where you left it.  To re-cap -- inspired by your moving eulogy to the writer and that book, I began it thinking you'd long since finished -- only when I painfully stalled and shamefacedly fessed up, did you mention you'd never finished it either.

teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 09:00:33 PM »

woweee wow!

Des -- reading you is always a very moving experience.

Next post will be literature oriented or I won't post at all.

teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 09:13:20 PM »

woweee wow!

Des -- reading you is always a very moving experience.

Next post will be literature oriented or I won't post at all.

Happy Birthday VN.
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 10:35:15 PM »

Hey there,Teddy,Whiskey,Donot,Des and other old timers.Thanks Jenn!

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »

Hey there,Teddy,Whiskey,Donot,Des and other old timers.Thanks Jenn!

Ahoy, Bo -- Welcome aboard! .. (Canucks 1 - Star 1)
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 10:54:38 PM »

How does one come in on the last post viewed.One of the things I missed most in my exile was The monthly book nomination with Whiskey.I longed to post"The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America" as a non-fiction choice.

teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 11:29:54 PM »

How does one come in on the last post viewed.One of the things I missed most in my exile was The monthly book nomination with Whiskey.I longed to post"The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America" as a non-fiction choice.

Re coming in on last post, I don't know how to do that either Bo -- there's a "last" button that will take to you to last, but I find when I post it goes back to the main board and have to click Meander and then last I think it is.  Liquid Silver may be able to answer.

Ever read anything by Kingsley Amis? 

Cheers and back to the game.
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 11:47:08 PM »

Just Martin his son.I got into this series by Alan Furst who writes these very atmospheric pre WW2 novels that take place in Europe.Not deep in plot but wonderful in settings and mood.I turned Eireman onto them in another forum.Also just finished up the more obscure Edith Wharton Novels.Since leaving the NYTimes forums I joined a Yahoo and Google group.Started a Yahoo group for my male high school buddies and started a Blog .Read some WW2 flyboy history "Masters of the Air" a collection of H.P. Lovecraft per eiremans reccomendation.Also read the whole"Flashman Series" which is is a warped way to read British History but wicked fun and  I still have a large pile of unreads.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 12:06:46 AM »

Hey Bingle! I was wondering what happened to you in Yahoo.Yes there was one Flashman movie made that  was based on one of the early books where Bismark blackmails him into impersonating The Crown Prince of Denmark.As I recall the actor who portrayed Flashman I thought an odd choice.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 12:15:20 AM »

Bingle the movie was "Royal Flash" from 1975 and I'm pretty sure that was book 2.Malcolm McDowell played Sir Harry Flashman.I have never seen it.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 02:05:55 AM »

Howdy, Bo.  I'm a Furst fan, too.

Teddy, what was the score?  I was watching the "Planet Earth" series re broadcast on the Science Channel (playing catchup from not getting to see it Sunday night on the Discovery Channel since I was watching "Bleak House" on PBS, which has a thousand characters and I can't keep track of hardly anybody.)
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 02:32:43 AM »

It was 4-1 Vancouver and from the pics I saw online it looks like they wore the retro original Canucks uniform with the blue/green and just the hockey stick as the logo.Another old NYTimes poster Anna turned me onto Siegfried Lenz recently.She read his novel "The Good German" in german but my used bookstore had a collection of his short stories in English"The Selected Stories of Siegfried Lenz." It's divided into sections the first being formulatic stuff about life under one man rule.One or two of those were okay but the other three sections are more traditional stories of village life and life at the end of WW2.Some are slyly humorus some very beautiful.After reading the short stories I want to read the novel which looks like it is from the view of the son of a Nazi Official in Northern Germany in a smaller town.The son is not as enamored of the Nazi way as his father and some others are.

desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 08:52:52 AM »

Good morning, everyone, and howdy, bosox.  I'm experimenting with the various formatting options.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »

Would anyone be up for a discussion of something by Gunther Grass, now that it looks like we can actually talk books in Meander again?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 163
  Print  

Jump to: