Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 01:38:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 164
  Print  
Author Topic: Meander Where You May  (Read 37904 times)
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2400 on: June 13, 2008, 03:28:38 PM »

What's gray and usually comes in quarts?

......an elephant!

ZZZZZZZZZ    Grin Grin Grin Grin

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2401 on: June 13, 2008, 11:41:29 PM »

I could never argue with any conviction that it is easy to read a novel in which three of the principals...two of them sympathetic characters...end up dead at "Finis".

I am certain that this is the reason that I am dragging my heels so slowly through the pages of Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris.

The only salve to my wounded feelings comes from knowing that Djali, the goat, does survive the catastrophe.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2402 on: June 15, 2008, 02:05:54 PM »

Why is that someone is always eager to blame the earthquakes, floods and firestorms that hit San Francisco or New Orleans on God's wrath because we are too liberal? I never hear anyone say that the floods and tornados that ravage the South and Midwest are a sign that God is angry at the people for being homophobic and self-righteous.

Gore Vidal's final memoir

http://www.news24.com/News24/Entertainment/Abroad/0,,2-1225-1243_2047942,00.html

Los Angeles - Gore Vidal bats a large purring cat off his lap in the living room of his home in the Hollywood Hills as he argues, whiskey in hand, that America's Puritan attitudes on sex has made it "the dumbest country on earth."

At age 81, Vidal is not known as the national scold for nothing. There are few fights the famed novelist, playwright and polemicist has shied away from over the last 50 or 60 years and in this case, it is hostile American attitudes toward homosexuality that draws his ire.

He has been open about his sexuality for years but refuses to be defined by it.

"They say sexual activity is the equivalent of human identity. What a crazy notion. If you are a vegetarian, does that mean you are the enemy of all meat eaters. Does that mean that every time a vegetarian sees meat served, he kills butchers or smashes up restaurants?"
An attack on homophobia morphs into a tale about the 19th century British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli and then into a warning that the US economy will collapse.

A collector of people and wicked or revealing tales about them, Vidal can sound like he knew someone even if a century separates them as when his talk about how homosexuals are demonized leads him to think of the troubles Disraeli had as the biggest outsider ever named prime minister of Britain.

"He was a Jew who converted to the Church of England but was still a Jew as far as the Archbishop of Canterbury was concerned. Disraeli was visited by the Archbishop who told him 'We are a bit disturbed about your religion. You were born a Jew but were confirmed an Anglican. You will be appointing bishops, so may we ask you what your personal religion is?'

"Disraeli replied, 'All wise men have the same religion. As to what it is, all wise men never say.'"

That is Vidal's way of saying he will only go so far in revealing his personal life and no further.

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2403 on: June 16, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »

Summer reading list, anyone?

Don't dance on a volcano...
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2404 on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:31 PM »

Recommendations for others or my own list, K?

I'm just starting Rabelais.

Then as we move toward Bastille Day I'll be reading Hilary Mantel's historical fiction A Place of Greater Safety and Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France

On July 8th the new translation ofLes Miserables comes out and I can read about the July Revolution of 1830.

In August, I can go back to Chartres catherdral, Balzac's The Black Sheep and Eugenie Grandet.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2405 on: June 17, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »

Elementary Beaches
—for Nnyhav & Raymond Queneau

http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php/topic,112.msg96089.html#msg96089

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2406 on: June 17, 2008, 05:29:36 AM »

The Doll, Boleslaw Prus

What does it matter?  All is grace.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2407 on: June 17, 2008, 09:25:30 AM »

Poisonwood Bible.  Kingsolver.  There, I said it.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2408 on: June 17, 2008, 10:05:13 AM »

Darwinia, by Robert Charles Wilson

Best speculative/fantasy/metaphysical novel of the last decade, imnsho.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2409 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »

So far -- great suggestions...thank you!   By the by -- anyone read Rushdie's latest The Enchantress of Florence?

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2410 on: June 17, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »

Of course, you're just looking for a rise, right, Becky?  Or not?

desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2411 on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:41 PM »

I actually have the book right here in my hot little hand, kit!  It was in a small public library where I work, so I borrowed it after trying out a Sue Grafton novel, which I hated.

I haven't read Rushdie at all. 

For those of you who are ordering with BarnesandNoble, Borders is MUCH cheaper now.  They give out free membership cards at their stores (Waldenbooks including, which is apparently owned by Borders now) that you can use online for significant discounts. 
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2412 on: June 17, 2008, 12:29:08 PM »

Rushdie's writing really shouldn't be missed -- read at least one -- Midnight's Children -- for starters.  I doubt you'd be disappointed.  Kingsolver I've had some pleasure reading, Bean Trees, but PWB's subject didn't hook me, at all.  But, timing is everything, no?

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2413 on: June 17, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »

For those of you who are ordering with BarnesandNoble, Borders is MUCH cheaper now.  They give out free membership cards at their stores (Waldenbooks including, which is apparently owned by Borders now) that you can use online for significant discounts. 

Barnes and Noble (and perhaps Amazon) are looking at buying Borders; so depending how that shakes out, you might want to use the Borders cards sooner than later.   Here's a story with detaisl - http://crainsdetroit.com/article/20080616/SUB/806160306/1069
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2414 on: June 17, 2008, 02:32:13 PM »

Thanks, harrie.  I had heard about that a few weeks back, but I couldn't remember who was buying whom.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 164
  Print  

Jump to: