Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 21, 2018, 12:29:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 164
  Print  
Author Topic: Meander Where You May  (Read 36700 times)
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1845 on: January 12, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »

even worse...maybe they'd teach us all to speak foreign languages with a bad accent....
nnyhav

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1846 on: January 12, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »

Like everything else the Talking Heads on TV get ahold of they have become a dreadful bore.
Judy's in the bedroom
Inventing situations
Bobby's on the street again
Scouting up locations ...

http://www.talking-heads.net/lyrics_more.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:11:29 PM by nnyhav » Logged
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1847 on: January 12, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »

I want to sound like the newsreaders on BBC news.
nnyhav

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1848 on: January 12, 2008, 11:32:15 PM »

I want to sound like the newsreaders on BBC news.
Anthony Burgess titled one of his apocalyptic entertainments based upon the signoff of the BBC Overseas service: "This is the end of the World News."
teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1849 on: January 13, 2008, 12:01:44 AM »

Greetings to long-lost and much-missed teddy and very happy New Year to your own self!

Kid (then aged 9 or 10 maybe?) and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the first of the Pullman series together--loved Lyra, the daemons, etc. Probably much of what we liked was the anti-authoritarian 'tude. We tried listening to taped reading of vol. 2 but didn't get far.  Nothing here is known of Wicked except that other daughter saw and enjoyed the musical some years back.

However, The Phantom Tollbooth is not to be surpassed by either of those.  Kid just finished a reread prompted by finding it in a box of books we moved up out of the water coming into our garage during a storm.

A fave C'mas treat was seeing Forever Hollywood by the Abridged Shakespeare Company, consisting of 3 (only 3) performers in a comic pastiche referencing some 175 Hollywood movies (not 175 greatest--as the Playbill notes "actual greatness may vary." )  Several many thumbs up.

nyt - Hmm - the Phantom Tollbooth -- have never read that.   Didn't know there'd been a musical made of Wicked.   Forever Hollywood - hope to catch that one day.

Have just received two books ordered via Amazon for Christmas - Alice Munro's "The View from the Castle Rock" and "Rules for Renegades - how to make more money, rock your career, and revel in your individuality" -- the latter might sound a tad strange, but I heard the author interviewed on morning radio business program and it intrigued.  (This keyboard is driving me crazy -- it's a wireless, given to me by nephew, but it's very clunky and keys seems to stick every once in awhile.  The actual feel of the keys and space bar is slightly greasy -- but I've sprayed and wiped and washed and not much improvement.  I'm thinking of just re-installing the old one.)

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1850 on: January 13, 2008, 10:07:26 AM »

nyt - Hmm - the Phantom Tollbooth -- have never read that.   Didn't know there'd been a musical made of Wicked.   Forever Hollywood - hope to catch that one day.

I loved The Phantom Tollbooth as a child, just reread it a couple years ago, and still love it. (As a beloved kids' book, not as a literary challenge or anything.) On the other hand, I knew Wicked as a musical (starring Kristin Chenoweth! sorry, I love her), but didn't know it was a book 'til I stumbled across a copy a little ways back.   Picked it up, but haven't read it yet.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1851 on: January 13, 2008, 01:23:46 PM »

Ny, I admired Burgess's all-too-few trips into science fiction genre -- The End of the World News, though I haven't read it for 20 years, I remember as compelling and pretty disturbing.  Burgess had a way with dystopias.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
nnyhav

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1852 on: January 14, 2008, 08:15:15 AM »

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=83550&in_page_id=2
via jwz & pharyngula
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1853 on: January 14, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »

The poor Mr. Potato Head reminds me of Henry James and the clinging octopus reminds me of Constance Fenimore Woolson:

“Then apparently, in some way, Fenimore had made him feel that she made claims on him—claims he had not been prepared to meet. The final “arrangement” that he would visit her once a year in Italy had apparently been an ultimate compromise. Yet in the end she had performed an act of horror. She had possessed herself: she had arbitrarily cut herself off from him. Fenimore had asked for too much: and her legacy was an eternal secret.”—Leon Edel, Henry James: A Life, New York: Harper and Row, 1985, 499.
     Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:25:20 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1854 on: January 16, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »

Edel is so dramatic, in his pursuit of being in on the deal by being the ultimate scholar.  With his choice of diction,he perpetrates this b.s.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1855 on: January 16, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »

30 April-1 May

“Still, I always think my style, such as it is,
is a compound of all my deficiencies, but
maybe that’s what style is anyway.”
—Alan Bennett LRB, “What I Didn’t Do in 2007,”
3 January 2008

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1856 on: January 16, 2008, 12:35:08 PM »

Pug, and others with some film knowledge -- interested in replacing the Holiday Films thread with a Film Trivia thread?   It was a fairly active thread at the old NYT, before they deleted so many of the forums.  Someone poses a q, whoever answers it first then has the floor, and so on.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1857 on: January 16, 2008, 07:09:45 PM »

Sure, let's do it. Sounds fun.

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1858 on: January 17, 2008, 04:52:12 AM »

The New York Times  

“turning wearily,
as one would turn
to nod good-bye
to Rochefoucauld…”
—T. S. Eliot

Cousin Harriet—
Reads her New York Times…

She gave up a long time ago—
The Boston Evening Transcript…

Now she’s more like cute—
Cousin Nancy riding the hills…

Cynically embedded there—
With the hounds of war…

Aunt Helen watches TV—
She’s a shock and awe girl!!!

Propped up on the sofa—
Dead like her caged parrot…

Watching FOX-News—
Such an informed lady…

Meanwhile Prufrock—
Oh my gawd, that’s me!!!

desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1859 on: January 17, 2008, 08:58:31 AM »

Well, it snowed here for about 4 hours yesterday evening - we got about an inch at my house.  It's all melted away now, but was fun while it lasted.  It is such a novelty here that people at the AIRPORT were running outside to take photos, etc.

Got into a mild snowball fight with my son, who I smashed in the face with a huge snowball, close range, as he stood there smoking a cigarette, in return for a more feeble attempt on his part earlier.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 164
  Print  

Jump to: