Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 10:04:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81
  Print  
Author Topic: Latin American Literature  (Read 16426 times)
Beppo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

What could they be saying?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:47:24 PM by Beppo » Logged
S2B

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 01:56:14 AM »

"It often seems that I have only typical and common things to say..." - JD

well then,

"Don't talk unless you can improve the silence."  -JLB

not bad for actual quotes from the men themselves Wink
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 12:02:48 PM by S2B » Logged
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »

S-2-B, Cheesy,that´s Gabriel Garcia Marquez arriving at Aracataca (Macondo) on the "yellow train" with his wife on the 40th. anniversary of the first edition of  "Cien años de soledad".That is the first time he goes back to Aracataca.

I :)t´s great seeing so many of you here.

I am reading  Saramago´s Ensayo sobre la Ceguera.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »

Martin!

So happy you are here, where's junior?  I am over in immigration being a nuisance.  Settle in. Much love and besas
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 04:02:06 PM »

MADUPONT, I don´t know where Bocajunior  is. My best enemy and co-patriot surely got lost when we were all  kicked out of the NYT.Being an Argie ,like me. I bet he´ll find his way in here back from exile.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 03:22:04 AM »

Martin, my Brother.  Praise the gods you are found.  And The Firey Pen is still singing Mozart and Greeks are buying lots of plates for weddings?  Is any of the new Argentinian political "darkness" I'm reading about affecting you or your family?  I, too, hope Boca finds his way here.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:24:29 AM by Donotremove » Logged
S2B

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 12:43:17 PM »

M&M&D...glad you stopped by  Smiley

real life has interfered with my reading lately, though I am mid-way through "the movies of my life" by Fuguet and "Delirio" by Restrepo has found its way back to the next in line on the stack to read...didn't you read this a while ago MB3 ?

currently we're in the midst of relocation...to Singapore...and I'm gathering as many titles as I can find to bring along with me as I have no idea what it will be like sourcing LAL there...though I will be close enough to Australia to make a visit to the land of the Junior  Wink  and that International Bookstore near QVB in December...

"Movies" is easy enough to put down after reading each chapter, each 'vignette' which means I'm easily distracted...

keep in touch ! I'll be here as often as I can.
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 12:12:04 PM »

Does any of you know where the rest are lurking? Who created this site? How did you all get here?

I don´t have Bocajuniors´mail so I don´t know how to contact him, I´ll try and get him through what´s left of the NYT forums.

He should be very happy our Boca Juniors Fútbol Club got The Cup.

You do know that in Arg. *fútbol* is soccer? Don´t you?

http://www.tea.edu/Archivos/DamePelota/bocareydecopas.jpg
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 01:47:10 PM »

Martin re:#22

Oh, they are all at the usual places(and I do mean all). Although several have popped in recently and then popped out again.  We came by word of mouth, through the grape-vine; and you are in a sense asking the same question about which I wanted an answer, so I therefore lurked, as donotremove says,and for the longest time, without getting a concrete answer, although -- because some of the pseudonyms have been altered to protect the characters, I have had insights that this may have been an original offshoot from a much earlier period of time when there was a definite rebellion against the idea of Meander being turned into a Lounge.

With the closing down of that hang-out, perhaps their liquor licence was revoked(?) because of two many owners owning too many places, you know, kind of like the Mafia has to find enough relatives to keep things in the syndicate as places to conduct business,

I was afraid that eventually that would happen without people having direct connects by e-mail,etc.  I mentioned that at one point that discouraging people from around the globe being in connection with each other during an age of globalization was tantamount to a mortal sin; of course the importance of the underlying implication was pooh-poohed. By one who didn't give a snap, oft said, what you thought about mortal sin or communications if it wasn't all about him. My how the mighty have fallen on their knees to complain about being there.

Others are happy as tartes and harangue artists overseas at the UK --although they all claim to have been here and they didn't say that they didn't like the place so maybe they get away with more over there?  There are a lot more of their kind where they came from which I imagine was the basic problem to begin with, why they colonized the world, but they are still complaining and want to take over France next. Sarkozy beat them to it.

Whisqe has not mentioned noticing boca around about what's left.  I continued around but in other nooks and crannies as well as writing for the overseas trade under a nom-de-plume (which reminds me, how is the Fiery Pen? the writing classes, the plummage,etc.); although he did say that he missed you guys (plural, I think?)

A number of people traipse over there for esoteric rituals, by the book, but as I'm in the dark, I have no word of the level of the eyes wide shut initiates; although I did eavesdrop once through a crack and was truly unimpressed, when I  had recalled Colburn's directions about how to drop down a rabbit hole and walk through the looking glass, by standing on a friend's shoulders. The usual people were pontificating and then she dropped me back to street level again because she is usually in a hurry to remain out of the country as much as possible.

That reminds me, I should hurry overseas, myself,to report to the Paris Bureau of Naught But Sightings (otherwise known as Non-BS).  But lately, I just hang out in the Immigration area here if I have anything to say which I usually do.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 04:27:06 PM »

Martin, the fellow with the ID LiquidSilver is the one who set this site up.  I don't know anything about him.  Some thought he was Mick Sussman (or a computer wise pal of his) but I personally haven't a clue.  Drat.  I wish we had some way to contact Bocajunior.

You can see who all is registered here (by their ID name) by clicking on "members" at the top of each page--you know, along with "home" and other choices.  The ID names are in alphabetical order.
Beppo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 09:35:48 AM »

Howdy Martinbeck - Bocajuniors should know about this place as it was linked quite a few times on the NYT before it went down. If not and you would like to take a chance on alerting him you could fire a message up on to the NYT forum boards which is currently being held to ransom by Lifeline - it couldn't do any harm.

You said you were reading Saramago - me too. 'The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis', the translation into English. I'm taking it slowly but I do like Saramago - his little wise asides. I was wondering if you got a chance to read that book by Bioy Casares on Borges?

BTW - its Jorge/Catto/PM here just in case you was wondering...good to see you  Wink

There are some posters who as yet have not been seen in these parts - maybe if an outbreak of reading happens they may drop in.

Liquidsilver as yet has no bank account for the "fees". Perhaps you should send him some from your one in the Caymens - maybe buy you some posts - shift you forward from the most honourable "Junior Member" status... Grin

martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »

Thanks everybody for yor warm welcome.I´d love to know how you can place a picture below your profile.In case anyone wonders what I look like,I look like Russell Crowe in Master of Land and Sea (so says my aunt Ely and sundry ladies)

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0311113/Ss/0311113/MC-37R.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0311113

Well, back to this:

Catto,Jorge,Beppo:great to see you here,too.The book you  mention is a recollection of the conversations JLB had with Bioy over the years and Bioy faithfully registered in a sort of diary that was now published. I can´t remember the exact name,nor can my librarian(!) -over the telephone- and he´s the *good one*.

Don and Madupont:thanks for asking about the fiery Pen.She´s fine now singing with a professor. Undecided live and learn.The extended family is going through a crisis-after the summer holidays- Sebastian,the oldest divorced sweet Carolina and has got another one.The FP says she´ll never meet her.Meanwhile he´s living in our *exteded loft* in a sort of tent the FP has put up for privacy and his two kids (Tomy and Fran 3 and 4) spend every other weekend with him here and every Friday nite.So now our calm and cool  loft looks like a gypsy tent.Thank goodness business is great and new politicians -a new breed of them- have won the last electio.Kirchner trembles.   

I hope Mick is around in any shape.I like him very much and I was  sure he must have fought bravely for us against the Philistines.I also suspect Admin could be him,too.

S-2-B, where are you going to? Sing-a-pore.My goodness!!! and I wouldn´t go live in Chile just across the Cordillera de los Andes! 
Beppo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »

Martinbeck

I've checked out the book on Amazon - it's very long and looks like a great read but as yet no translation into English by the looks of things.

Been thinking about Bocajuniors - in the end he may just have decided that the time differences between Australia and the Americas were such that it wasn't possible to keep turning on to the forums just as most people were preparing to switch off. I'm minimum five hours ahead (or nineteen behind) and it can be difficult to keep motivated when there's only a small window for 'live' communication. I suppose it's even more obvious here since you get to see who is logged in at the same time. To be up and energetic and to see your name down there as the sole poster might be difficult to take.

I don't know - maybe this is all bullshit and he's sunning himself on Bondi.

martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »

BOCAJUNIORS: BOLBÉ TODO STÁ PERDONADO

martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »

BEPPO, if the above line from Borges Wink doesn´t bring Boca back nothing will.(*)

As you know I am reading Saramago´s "Ensayo sobre la ceguera".I´m not saying anything knew but it´s a page turner.It´s written without any "full stop, into the next line" (like my English teachers used to say) but the trick works very well because it reflects in the way one reads it,like you can´t stop until you get to the next chapter,then and only then,you can catch your breath.

I am wondering how he will end the story.I just can´t imagine how S. will get out of this plot he´s got himself into.

Both Saramago and Borges say blindness is not black but white,like a cloud over the eyes. I wonder if it´s black when they go to sleep.

SUNDRY LURKERS:
yes, I know Saramago is Portuguese but he was adopted at the LatAmLit forum some two years ago.Apparently his great grandfather on his cousin´s side had been born in Brazil and taken as a baby back to Lisboa.

ANYBODY remembers Myriam, the Lit Prof from Israel who wrote great posts on Saramago 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81
  Print  

Jump to: