Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 05:11:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 151
  Print  
Author Topic: Creative Writing  (Read 27054 times)
Eva

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1770 on: August 29, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »

Not to be outdone, or more precisely over-done, Gordon suggested to Chloe that they leave the soupy matrix (otherwise known as Venice, having left Lucky roamin' in his own stew ) and with nothing more than each other they headed for Naples, where among the bustle of working-class italianos they knew they could at the very least find a decent (pizza) pie or maybe even Luca Spaghetti (Chloe's first husband, who still had her jewelry and her favorite dog) and there even the score once and for all.  But first there was that small matter of...
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1771 on: August 29, 2007, 06:01:22 PM »

shedding the desire to categorize people into classes.

"Everybody comes into this world in pretty much the same manner. We all land on our feet eventually. Those lucky breech babies get there first though." Gordon laughed.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1772 on: August 29, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »

Whereas...

"Oh dear me," said Gordon.

"Whereas?"

"Fuck, it sounds like a manifesto or something..."

"Not very creative...rather bourgeois I think, my dear."

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1773 on: August 29, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »

[re "shedding the desire to categorize people into classes" -- Ponderosa, I hope you are a real newbie and not the reincarnation of an erstwhile pest who called himself "Learn..."  -- I'm not going to assume anything, but I hope you will use your cyber anonymity wisely in your quest for, well, whatever it is you are questing for...]

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Eva

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1774 on: August 29, 2007, 07:59:32 PM »

"My, my someone is jest itchin' fer a fight...nitpickin' o'er nuttin'...must be that time o' the month.  Jest settle yourself there a bit, it'll git better."  "Maybe."  The one-legged whore then lit her pipe and settled back in her rocker to just set a spell, see if things improved any for her dear old gramps aka Pugee.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:01:15 PM by Eva » Logged
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1775 on: August 29, 2007, 08:24:55 PM »

[re "shedding the desire to categorize people into classes" -- Ponderosa, I hope you are a real newbie and not the reincarnation of an erstwhile pest who called himself "Learn..."  -- I'm not going to assume anything, but I hope you will use your cyber anonymity wisely in your quest for, well, whatever it is you are questing for...]

Learn was a hanger-on over in Urban Haiku.

Her name back then was l.e.a.r.n.

Here’s one of her tacky haikus:

l.e.a.r.n.-6:59 PM ET July 18, 2006 (#7228 of 7233)

Children are sponges
Others actions are absorbed
Is the water clean?

Sound familiar? Puke

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1776 on: August 29, 2007, 08:56:30 PM »

Speaking of crummy émigrés coming over to Elba from the NYTimes:

Another winner over there in Urban Haiku was this lady from Tennessee who was quite the pill. In fact Eva kind of reminds me of her. Same syntax and attitude. Words don’t lie…

Her online name was fwtho—and she hated my guts. She and seagullpie & electraglide were some of the worst queer-bashing trolls I’ve ever met. Most of the other haikuists were fun to be around—but fwtho was the Wicked Witch of the West.

Fwtho posted in the NYTimes Creative Writing forum too—Eva sure does sound a lot like her. Same cranky old storylines. Here’s one of her tacky haikus:

fwtho-12:02 AM ET March 23, 2007 (#9551 of 9566)

hypnotic clicking
counting stitches, pulling yarn,
knit-wit therapy

Fuck me. Talk about crummy déjà vu puke…

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1777 on: August 30, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »

No, not learn, not pickin' a fight, but more like a time of the month thing. I'm saddened over the Owen Wilson story. Bright kid, coming from a well to do family, with what seems like a bright future ahead. Hollywood can eat at one's soul. He's not the first and probably not the last to have trouble coping and I'm not even a big fan of him personally but do like some of his work. His episode struck a chord. That's all.
Eva

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1778 on: August 30, 2007, 09:18:38 AM »

[ for puge -- no -- let me assure you -- fwtho I am not -- no soup for you ]

As Chloe and Gordo meandered toward Naples the suggestion was made that one of them should try writing an adventure story, you know, try writing about a real hero type...

He was a dark and stormy knight...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1779 on: August 30, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »

[Pondy -- glad to hear you are not our former bane!  Welcome, and good luck figuring out our past tattered storyline!  Re OW:  I've liked Wilson's ironic postmodern dufus ever since Bottle Rocket, and am sorry that his comic talent hasn't provided solace to him during a depressive patch.  Feel better, Owen!]

[Puget -- Eva didn't strike me as gut-hating or queer-bashing; it is easy to mistake cyber prose styles (as I just did recently)...re haiku -- does it strike you as one of those forms where you can write something that you think is fine one day and then retch when you reread it the next?  Of course, that applies to most of what I write...]

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1780 on: August 30, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »

(smile) No, I'm that other bane (chauncey/burnzy). I had to cut loose and go work on that adventure story. Took a break and either the full moon or the Owen episode or both and everything else led me back here. Focus and discipline are my weak points so I can't participate here and work on my stuff at the same time.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1781 on: August 30, 2007, 04:44:58 PM »

It was a dark and stormy night…

Eva was bored as usual…plus she was constipated.

She smoked her cigarette...her leg itched.

Then a miracle happened…

She cut a fart…a nice juicy one.

Everybody around the pool got outta her way.

“Oh gawd,” she said.

“That felt so good…”

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1782 on: August 31, 2007, 10:55:27 AM »

There were days when Bart longed for a name with a completely different rhyming scheme.  Or perhaps, a lack thereof, "Humberto" maybe, or "Rupert."  Sitting by the natorium (consultation had revealed the extra "at" to be spurious!), lounging by the pool, watching the sepia clouds of methane and digestive residues settle over the sad group of felons and jailers, "Bart" felt more of a liability than an asset.

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1783 on: August 31, 2007, 03:58:51 PM »

It was a dark and stormy night…

Barton was blue—the methane mauve.

Actually sepia—but did it make any difference?

It was like being a guest at the spa.

No Exit—the patients come & go.

The fetid natatorium pool…

Ennui and boredom…

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1784 on: September 01, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »