Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 15, 2018, 03:10:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Fitness and Nutrition  (Read 5567 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:54:55 PM »

Share your opinions on exercises and diets.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:59:11 PM »

Recommend several almonds in the afternoon to keep the mind limber.

Jumping jacks, as well as isometric excercises and other mild calisthentics keep the constituition sound.

Keep a variety of friuts and vegetables as close friends:  Do not heed their advice.
JL...W

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »

Genes Take Charge, and Diets Fall by the Wayside

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/health/08fat.html?ei=5070&em=&en=d01b636a50af5ba2&ex=1178769600&pagewanted=all

Interesting article there from an excerpt of Gina Kolata's new book Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss — and the Myths and Realities of Dieting

From the article:

There is a reason that fat people cannot stay thin after they diet and that thin people cannot stay fat when they force themselves to gain weight. The body’s metabolism speeds up or slows down to keep weight within a narrow range. Gain weight and the metabolism can as much as double; lose weight and it can slow to half its original speed.

The experiment that demonstrated this was apparently a "one off".   If the naturally thin people had been put through successive trials of gaining weight, would they become more successful at remaining fat? I suspect so. There's something especially insidious about yo yoing.

According to the Amazon review, Kolata's book takes on the weight loss industry:

In her final—and perhaps most surprising—chapter, Kolata blasts those in the obesity industry—such as Jenny Craig and academic obesity research centers—who are invested in promoting the idea that overweight is unhealthy and diet and exercise are effective despite a raft of evidence to the contrary. This book will change your thinking about weight, whether you struggle with it or not.

Too bad the NYT didn't pick that one to excerpt.

JL
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 05:37:25 AM »

I guess not too many people keeping up on fitness and nutrition.  I love the GAIAM yoga DVD's, especially those with Rodney Lee.  I can sure feel the difference.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 09:28:22 PM »

I can't knock yoga, haven't tried it, but I can't express the relief that isometric excercise gives me around the office.  In combination with a light regimen of push-ups, sit-ups, unsalted nuts, and the occasional apple, one can find the waistline more trim and the mind limber for late afternoon commerce.  When space is available, a number of sucessive somersaults tend to reset the sense of balance and create a healthy dizziness, which might be remedied by a smart vodka soda to reset the limbic system and general vigor.  Use the stairs when the destination is fewer than four floors, do the crossword to deter intellectual ambivalence:  Take pride in one's posture and stand closer to the business adversary than comfortable for he or she, after a mild retreat suggest that a cocktail may be in order.  Inquire about University and familial ties, a short nap after Cheeseburger Day is recommended.
pontalba

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:27:38 AM »

There was an article on strength training on CNN yesterday that was pretty interesting.  I've read something along these lines before, but this article really laid it out.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/05/25/strength.training.reut/index.html

I hope it's ok to quote part of the article?
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Strength training may not only make older adults' muscles stronger, but younger as well, a small study suggests.

It's well known that resistance exercises improve muscle strength and function in young and old alike, but the new research suggests that strength training also affects older muscles on the level of gene expression -- essentially turning back the clock on muscle aging.

The study, published in the online journal PLoS One, looked at whether strength training affects the "gene expression profile" in older adults' muscle. Genes hold the instructions from which the body manufactures proteins; gene expression refers to the processes that translate these instructions into proteins.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 02:49:41 AM »

Short quotes are usually acceptable and you're more than well documented...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 11:51:02 PM »

Intellectual fitness may be augmented by the occasional word-jumble; to vary the regimen of isometrics and jumping-jacks, throw in the occasional somersault to quicken the gymnastic reflex.  At parties introduce your guests to all strangers, demonstrate the shoulder roll after 10:00PM.  Martinis keep the mind nimble but may be too salty for those with high blood-pressure.  Never turn down any offering of food unless determined for unrepentant intoxication and ridicule.  Try to complement the female of the species by commenting on various items of couture:  "I really like your dress, that's a nice color on you..." is a pleasant parting remark while you feed vodka to the more reptilian senses.  One good retort when a male of the species is talking about a car he admires is to say "Yeah, I test-drove one of those but I thought the handling imprecise and the styling dated...but, nice car..."  It's never polite to fire up a cigar or marijuana cigarette in mixed company.  For cigars, you may ask the host:  "Is there somewhere I could smoke this cigar, is the garage OK?"  For marijuana cigarettes, show the host the joint, look pointedly into her eyes and say:  "Is it cool?"  Either way, the host should you proper direction.  As an icebreaker offer to be the first one to drink directly from the vodka bottle, or demonstrate a proven stretching routine.  Claim to have invented calling "Target" "tar-jay" and slur your words.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:41:59 AM »

A strict regimen of whole grains, lentils, and multiple reps of the abdominal crunch earn you the right to ice cream in the evening.   That's my footnote.

Oh....and most brands of bottled water are tap water.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 01:36:04 PM »

Dance, dance, dance...

Enough to sweat, sweat, sweat

Then you can eat, eat, eat and also

drink, drink, drink!

Cheers!

Don't dance on a volcano...
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 12:52:30 PM »

KITIN, this is the newest on nike dancing in Iraq:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czlVpKgOAmQ

I warmly recommend it.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »

Martin!
You are too funny...love it!  I move a bit more traditionally classical, which is nowhere as amusing (most of the time).

Don't dance on a volcano...
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 01:40:15 PM »

Wow, can she ever bust a move!!! Shocked
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 02:15:34 AM »

Execute a brief shoulder roll before shaking hands with sales associates:  Not only will they know you are all about business, but that you are in business for hard late-night partying.  Try making unusual oevertures to their presumed guests, and grab somebody's ass.  It's a party, shit gets broke.

But, if it's not a party, don't do that.  Rub on your goatee, and say something like:  "I'm going to have to get back to you on that, Charles," whether or not you are good with numbers, and whether or not his name is Charles.  Propose a toast and pass out on the island in the kitchen in your own vomit; or, more subtly, pee into your own mouth and leave in the host's Acura TL and wrap it around a tree.

Either way:  You've partied and made new friends.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 02:17:50 AM »

I fucking hit 300 like arod and those guys from that thing from that medieval thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: