Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 15, 2018, 02:57:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Fitness and Nutrition  (Read 5566 times)
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 10:43:50 AM »

Artificial exercise is unnecessary.  Just walk places, do aforementioned shoulder rolls, and occasionally reach down with knees only slightly bent, to adjust one's laces or buff the shoes with a small cloth carried for that purpose.  When out and about, engage in understated pilates-like movements of the torso and pick up objects for no reason, as often as possible, holding them with the arm at an angle until a slight burn is felt.  If you own a medium-sized dog, pick it up and carry it around every so often.  A child is an okay substitute, though it may present hygiene issues.  Finally, achieve orgasm once or twice a week, for boosting the immune system and keeping the head from being bolted on too tightly.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 12:15:21 AM »

That explains it; it is so much clearer now why you said that you didn't get the point in my review of outstanding points in The Good German. Different strokes for different folks.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »

:-)

Was it the dog toting, the sex, the shoe buffing, or the shoulder rolls that you believe led me astray in my search for meaning, Mad?

Mainly, I was recovering from an ill-timed nap.  Today, rereading your thoughts on TTG, I had less difficulty getting your general drift. 

Maybe all health regimens rest on the foundation of proper doses of rest.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 01:34:09 PM »

That's okay, what I sent you today was a  critical acclaim straight out regarded as spoof which has all the same criteria as TGG. I have a distinct feeling that Soderbergh couldn't make up his mind whether what he had was a drama or a spoof derived from the sources he was emulating although he is just the latest experimenter with the technology of this film genre.  Looking back it is periodical:2006,1992, and Orson Welles(TTM) had to be in the early Fifties? Welles had however effected this look from the point where he gave up theatre(and radio!)and began shooting film. Still and all, I don't think he was as serious about The Third Man as some people would like to think  when they are pulled into the mood he is projecting, as most often he has a very tongue in cheek attitude about the humor that he picks up in the work he undertakes.

They are all directing productions in order to approximate the early concepts of German Expressionist film-makers, Fritz Lang, Murnau, even dare I see it --if you ever get the chance to see them, Leni Riefenstahl's output as propaganda in praise of the Third Reich.

Lang in particular provides more clarity in his stark lighting contrasts than Soderbergh can achieve, for the latter is more taken in by Orson Welles and the film-makers of the 1940s with the Casablanca ending, I kept thinking, what is he doing?(Soderbergh) giving not inadvertent praise to a film classic while allowing dialog to be put in the mouth of Blanchett that is going to be considered unforgivable out in L.A.?

The Orson occasional fuzzy effect, used around some of his actors in TTM which was otherwise notably stark lighting, Soderbergh decides to use in his crowd scene at the end where Cate collapses over the body of her husband, Christian Brandt, who has just been assassinated by the former Gestapo policeman we first met in the stacks when Clooney checks with the American (but Jewish) officer in charge of following down these cases of trapped Nazis and collaborators. George does a double take,at the presence of the big ugly German, and the American officer responds, "That's okay, he doesn't understand a word of English."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 10:52:11 PM »

Consider that post,"Food for thought".  Considering the length, however, it is a bit much liking pigging out.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 09:44:15 AM »

It's sort of a given, when a character says of another, "[pronoun/name] doesn't understand a word of English," that that character is completely fluent in English.  In a way, it's become a sort of clanker, because it now tends to make you think the writer has pulled his line off of a dusty old shelf.

I love it when people find clever ways to digress.  Food for thought --- ha, ha!  I especially enjoy digressions in the film forum, where someone is completely off the subject of cinema, but finds some obscure film reference to tie in with whatever they're chattering about.  Or one can do as Oilcanbody has been doing for years, which is to connect any digression to an excerpt of dialog from The Big Lebowski.

desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »

I thought of you, Barton, as I toted my 17 lb mini schnauzer up the steep hill to my house yesterday when he rat to greet a woman trying to walk her dogs.  I could fell the burn!
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 10:14:13 AM »

17 lb. is a good starting weight.   If the dog is not available, a  large jar of pickles from one of the huge discount warehouses will also serve.  The cumbersome shape and the necessity of not dropping ensure a solid training session.

My daughter actually used to do this to me -- part of her unique sense of humor.  When we were in the grocery store to just get a couple staples, she would go and find the largest jar of pickles possible (none of us eats pickles, you see) and pretend that this was to be our principal purchase.  After walking a short ways with it, she would feign exhaustion and demand that I carry the pickles the rest of the way.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 06:22:56 PM »

Intellectual fitness may be augmented by the occasional word-jumble; to vary the regimen of isometrics and jumping-jacks, throw in the occasional somersault to quicken the gymnastic reflex.  At parties introduce your guests to all strangers, demonstrate the shoulder roll after 10:00PM.  Martinis keep the mind nimble but may be too salty for those with high blood-pressure.  Never turn down any offering of food unless determined for unrepentant intoxication and ridicule.  Try to complement the female of the species by commenting on various items of couture:  "I really like your dress, that's a nice color on you..." is a pleasant parting remark while you feed vodka to the more reptilian senses.  One good retort when a male of the species is talking about a car he admires is to say "Yeah, I test-drove one of those but I thought the handling imprecise and the styling dated...but, nice car..."  It's never polite to fire up a cigar or marijuana cigarette in mixed company.  For cigars, you may ask the host:  "Is there somewhere I could smoke this cigar, is the garage OK?"  For marijuana cigarettes, show the host the joint, look pointedly into her eyes and say:  "Is it cool?"  Either way, the host should you proper direction.  As an icebreaker offer to be the first one to drink directly from the vodka bottle, or demonstrate a proven stretching routine.  Claim to have invented calling "Target" "tar-jay" and slur your words.

Rules for a successful life J?   

Sounds good to me...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 06:24:46 PM »

Oh....and most brands of bottled water are tap water.

when so they are additionally filtered however -- so buy a filter
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 06:30:52 PM »

I thought of you, Barton, as I toted my 17 lb mini schnauzer up the steep hill to my house yesterday when he rat to greet a woman trying to walk her dogs.  I could fell the burn!

Presumably you meant you could "Feel the Burn"

"Fell the Bum" is what you were no doubt planning to do with the aforementioned Schnauzer and therefore the Freudian slip is completly understandable
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »

multiple reps of the abdominal crunch earn you the right to ice cream in the evening.   That's my footnote.

most of us have some sort of treat we give ourselves I suspect...

When I complete my morning run by 6am, I treat myself to a small, non-fat, 2 pump Mocha on the way into work.   The calories are approximately equivalent to the first 20 minutes of the run.   

No Run...no mocha
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 11:10:56 PM »

A bannana provides both elecrolytes and betrays a Freudian sex-ambivalence to co-workers, while the apple keeps the doctor away, the daily bannana keeps them guessing.  Isometrics and a few raw nuts keep the mind limber.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 10:09:17 AM »

Only two nuts are sufficient to keep the mind occupied.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »

I think that rule applies mostly to men. 
Sorry, couldn't help it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: