Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 02:24:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Home  (Read 2211 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:55:32 PM »

Are you a handyman or looking for home repair tips?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »

I think this is officially the loneliest spot in Xscape
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »

You could just talk to your self for hours...
chauncey.g

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 06:05:20 PM »

You could just talk to your self for hours...

I do enough of that already.

If home is where the heart is, this is a good a place as any to mention a book I picked up at a used book store up in Denver recently. "I ain't much, baby - but I'm all I've got." by Jess Lair. I'm in a fixer upper mode. Hope it helps.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 06:17:39 PM »

oooohhh... you'e soo close chauncey...

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 02:51:31 AM »

were you thinking 200 was the magic number also?
chauncey.g

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 04:29:35 AM »

okay, we'll stick with 199. it's a nice round number. well, one side is nicely rounded.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 04:24:23 PM »

Do we consider pools   Home or Garden?

I'm looking for some serious pool care discussion if anyone knows more than I do...
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 12:27:28 PM »

Trojan, is that pool in ground or . . .
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 11:13:25 AM »

Trojan, is that pool in ground or . . .

Cute...

I mean for the purposes of discussion...and I guess it was an ill conceived attempt at humor on my part...

But seriously, pools are a lot of work, and I'm a true novice so I have a lot to learn...
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 11:26:59 AM »

Okay, I just bought my first house, so I have several questions.

First, I painted my bathroom this weekend and accidentally got a smudge of green paint on my white plaster ceiling.  (I am SO bad at this stuff - never painted before.)  What is the best way to remove this offending smudge?  Also have a few spatters on the tub.  Anything I can use that won't damage the fiberglass or plaster?  I keep get the paint on the grout and then having to scrape it off - getting scared about all that scraping.

Thought I'd do it the way I watched my grandfather do it many years ago - instead of taping, I used a straight-edge painting tool - didn't work so hot around the tub.  Now I've wised up and done my taping to finish the final touches of the first coat.

Man, my bathroom is so green.  At first I hated it, but now it's growing on me.  I'm trying to decide is I was to use a similar green for the second coat that is just a little bit drabber.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 12:06:23 PM »

Trojan, seriously, my previous home had an inground pool.  I had a filtration system, traps (both on the sides of the pool and in the area around the pool) and I kept close track on the ph factor.  I bought my clorine by the bucket, and every year something went wrong.  Also I was on the downslope of a watershed and had to worry about being gone when it rained a lot (no one home to let water from rain out of the pool, which would otherwise pour right into the back livingroom).  When everything was working right, with the underwater lights on and Moonvine trailing/reflected at one end, with bougainvilla spilling from pots, and moody jazz coming from outdoor speakers, why I just loved it.  My neighbor's tree leaned over my pool and every Fall let loose damned leaf it had right into my nice clean water.  Pool vacuums don't work as well as they should.  So, no, I don't miss the pool as much as I thought I would.  Find a good pool store and make acquaintance with the personnel there.  Some of them actually know what they are talking about.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 01:12:03 PM »

First, I painted my bathroom this weekend and accidentally got a smudge of green paint on my white plaster ceiling.  What is the best way to remove this offending smudge?  Also have a few spatters on the tub.  Anything I can use that won't damage the fiberglass or plaster? 

What kind of paint were you using?  That would tell you what to use if it's still wet.

If water based, you can usually scrape it off with your fingernail for a day or two off of hard surfaces like tile or tub -- because it doesn't seem to get very hard for awhile.  I can't think of much on the cieling after it has dried other than to paint white over it. or lightly sand to see if you can get it without going through the existing white paint.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 01:14:47 PM »

Trojan, seriously, my previous home had an inground pool. 

ok...thought you were joking on the home or garden issue.

I have a salt based chlorine gernator system that went on the fritz and within a week or so the pool was green from algae.  I'm getting conflicting stories on how to get that totally cleaned up.   There are so many different types of algeacide that it's getting confusing...
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 01:53:05 PM »

Trojan, swimming pool algae is one of three colors, green, yellow, or black.  If it's pink it's a fungus.  Google the color you've got, like, "green algae in pool" (without the quotes.)  Your generator/filter system is back working again?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: