Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 10:30:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Home  (Read 1100 times)
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »

The paint is water-based, Trojan.  It was dry before I noticed it.  I was wondering if mineral spirits will remove it and if it is safe to use them on the tub as well.  The sand paper idea sound like it might work.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »

Trojan, swimming pool algae is one of three colors, green, yellow, or black.  If it's pink it's a fungus.  Google the color you've got, like, "green algae in pool" (without the quotes.)  Your generator/filter system is back working again?

it's green.   I think I have the chlorination system working again - meanwhile I supplemented with Liquid Chlorine.  MOst of it is gone and I'm sweeping, sweeping sweeping, but there's all the little details like am I supposed to competely clean out my filter now ...and so on...

The pool is not green now, but the water is still a little cloudy...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »

The paint is water-based, Trojan.  It was dry before I noticed it.  I was wondering if mineral spirits will remove it and if it is safe to use them on the tub as well.  The sand paper idea sound like it might work.

I don't think that would hurt .. but what is your tub made out of?  I would try the fingernail trick first in any case.    with your fingernail you are not likely to scratch a plastic tub, and  you can often scrape off all but the hardest paint -- especially if it's just a few small drops...
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »

Okay - thanks for the advice, Trojan.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 03:14:04 PM »

Trojan, you have backflushed your filtration system?  If you've never done this, Google for explicit instructions.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »

I had backflushed...but didn't realize you are supposed to add back DE after backflushing--now I know...

I completely serviced the pump weekend before last (apparently your supposed to do that every 6 months also).  Shocked, added some algicide and clarifier, brushed, brushed brushed...  and it is a thing of beauty now. 

Crystal clear...
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »

Praise the gods, Trojan.  A clear pool is a thing of beauty, especially on clear nights with moonflower vines trailing the water's edge in one corner, some soft jazz playing, and whatever you like to drink at one hand and a good woman at the other.  Smiley 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 04:07:01 PM by Donotremove » Logged
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 02:10:36 PM »

Does anyone watch the home improvement shows on DIY Network and the HGTV channel?  I am an addict even though I haven't done any real work on my house since 2000.

I especially like the Canadian contractor Mike Holmes and his show Holmes on Homes. on Discovery Home channel.  He comes in to redo bad construction done to hapless homeowners who didn't have a clue about the people they hired to do building/remodeling for them (I understand that.  I hired a bad contractor once, myself.)

But the main reason I dropped by today was to tell you about the "green" Ed Begley, Jr. and his show, Living With Ed, which is starting it's second season (13 weekly shows) Monday, August 27 at 10:00 PM Eastern on HGTV.  There will be two preview shows, 1) August 26 and, 2) September 2, at 10:00 PM (both are Sunday) Eastern.  I think, but am not sure--I can check--that these times are the same for Pacific Time also.

Mr Begley (St Elsewhere, among many others) has long been a "live green" advocate and has turned his modest two-bedroom home into a showcase for "green" projects that make him and his wife and daughter "eco friendly" and energy independent.

Tune in if you've a mind to, and enjoy--Begley has a lively sense of humor even though he doesn't smile all that much.

While I'm on the subject, the Sundance channel has "green" documentaries on Tuesday nights.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:50:14 AM by Donotremove » Logged
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »

Can we discuss knitting here? One does knit at home and usually for home folks, so I thought a discussion of needlework might be appropriate here.

Are there any other knitters in the house?
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 04:35:39 PM »

Furphy, I don't see why knitting would be outside the box here at the Home discussion.  Home is, after all, a very large box.

I want to buy a larger gas stove.  One with either 6 burners or 4 burners and a grill.  But I can't afford the $10,000 or so that such a stove costs--Sub Zero, Wolf, etc.  Also I'm considering buying a used restaurant stove.  Has anyone had any high end stove buying experience they'd like to share?
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 05:44:12 PM »

The restaurant where I do books just bought two new stoves...six burners each, for less than $5,000.

This should give you some hope of picking up a good used restaurant stove for a tidy little price, Donot.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »

Sorry, I only crochet.

I finally finished my first painting project this weekend - my master bath in my new house.  What a fiasco it was - I made SO many mistakes.  Speaking of DIY and HGTV, donot, I love those channels too but they sure do make everything seem so easy. 

Anyway, I am feeling pretty much like an expert now that I did my bathroom - in the end, it came out gorgeous.  It's a pastel, soothing leaf green with white trim.

Now it's on to the next bathroom.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 12:30:03 PM »

Des, congratulations on the successful finish to bathroom #1, no matter how poorly it started out (like me--a long while back--painting a bathroom ceiling LAST kind of thing??).

Tee hee, yes those shows truncate the projects to fit the time slot.  Gives the DIYselfer the wrong idea if you're not careful.  But once you learn "by mistake" you NEVER forget it.

I want to change my bathroom bathtub over to a shower but i don't have the physical strength to do it myself.  But those shows ARE teaching me how to hire a good contractor.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 01:15:11 PM »

donot -

I was watching an episode last week where they tore EVERYTHING out of the bathroom and did tiling, stone flooring, a glass partition - geez, it was really a MAJOR deal.  Anyway, do you have tub with a shower head already, or just a tub?
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »

Des, yes that's what I'd like to do but I don't know that I can afford it.  Yes, I have a tub with the shower head  coming out of the wall at about my shoulders.  My problem is my bathroom is very small.  The clearance between the side of the toilet and the tub is--well, if I get any fatter from not smoking some of my butt will be resting on part of the tub edge when I sit down.  So, I want a custom shower built.  No tub at all.  I can no longer safely use a tub.  For old men, falling and breaking anything is a death sentence.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: