Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 27, 2018, 12:48:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Home  (Read 1618 times)
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »

I have a separate shower in my bathroom, donot.  It is a fiberglass shower - not the most impressive thing, but it looks pretty good - it has some sort of coating on it that makes it look like ceramic.  Anyway, getting one of those installed might not be that expensive.  It doesn't have a door or anything, which I like.  I just bought a pretty white curtain for it and there it is, with my green background.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 03:19:50 PM »

I've thought about one of those, Des.  I need to take some measurments to see if one would fit.  That way I could build shelves down at the other end.  I have shelves in the bathroom, but they are so deep it's hard to get stuff from way in the back.  Sheesh.  I have too many towels and stuff anyway.  I rotate them to keep them reasonably fresh.  I have always purchased thick, high end bath towels, wash cloths, and hand towels.  They last forever.  They might even outlast my daughter when she inherits them.  Smiley  If I did that I could enlarge the closet in the front bedroom, which it sorely needs.

Oh me, Des, this is getting to sound like "a project."
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »

Well, donot, I really like my shower because it is big enough to accommodate one of those shower stools in case I ever get sick or (gasp) old.  It is also very easy to clean.

I have just a tiny little closet in my bathroom, only about a 18" deep but plenty enough room for my sheets and towels. 
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 08:16:07 PM »

My wife noticed that one of the interior walls in the living room was damp and soft recently.  We suspected that there might be a leak in the upstairs bathroom plumbing.

We called out a home warranty repair person and he could not find the source and suggested that it may be coming from out side the house like from the sprinklers.

But the stucco appears sound so the mystery continues.

Any thoughts?
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 04:42:57 AM »

Trojan, is the whole wall damp or just near the ceiling of just near the floor?  Water not only drains down, it also wicks up.  Soft and damp is moisture.  Is your central air conditioning unit in the attic?  Is the condenser water collection pan overhead near where you have the moisture proplem?  Is the problem new?  Only intermittant?

If the outside of your house is stuco, the sprinkler water hitting the walls is a good thing in prolonged hot weather--unless you've got hairline cracks. I wouldn't let the water hit the outside walls as a everytime thing, though.

Good luck on finding the source.  Try to think of all that was going on during the time of the soft wet wall.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 04:47:14 AM by Donotremove » Logged
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »

A word of advice for people shopping for new living room furniture:

No matter what you do, don't purchase furniture upholsetered in ultra suede microfiber.  I was seriously considering buying a sofa out of the stuff.  Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately), I ordered an inexpensive chair and ottoman out of the stuff and it's terrible.  It's like a grit magnet - little hard pieces of dirt and grit all over it all the time no matter what you do.  It's awful and weird.  And I do keep a clean house.  It got like that by the time we had had it for about a day - at first I thought it was debris from the packaging it came in, but alas, that is not the case.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 05:03:48 PM »

Des, any chance you can send it back?  For a refund?  Did you talk to customer service?  What company sold it to you?  Sheesh, sweetie, that's awful.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »

Well, Doug, that's the thing about ordering furniture over the Internet - guess it was pretty stupid of me.  The chair and ottoman came unassembled so you get the dang thing put together and your packaging is all messed up so how the heck are you going to return it?  And what are you gonna pay for shipping?

I've decided to put it in my master bedroom where perhaps I can get it clean and keep the animals away from it - seriously, though, that fiber is really appealing and soft but you just can't keep it clean.  You can try brushing it off til you're blue in the face and the gritty stuff just clings to the fabric like crazy.  I'm assuming it's coming from my cat, who thinks I bought the thing for her, but I'm really not sure because it's just so weird.  It's like little tiny chunks of stuff - I can't even adequately describe it.

I got it on Target.com - it was pretty cheap, although after shipping and handling it was approaching $400 bucks.  Like I said, not very smart of me - oh well, you live and learn I guess.

Also, another warning - a lot of the new accent chairs they're making these days are not well-proportioned - they look really cool but the seat may be way too deep for everyone but very tall people, that sort of thing.  My chair sits way too high - I'm 5/6" and my feet barely touch the floor, and the armrests are too low.  I've notice lots of chairs in stores since then that have the same type of design issues.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2007, 04:10:39 AM »

Des, cats do not leave grit on furniture.  They leave hair, hairballs, dead things, and stuff like that (outdoor cats leave paw prints on your car--front to back, right over the top.)  Does that material have a smell?  Any tags left so you can Google the material it is made from?  I bought some sheets one time that after I washed them they had little balls of lint all over and I had to cut them up for cleaning rags (shortly after that I went to 100% cotton and have never wavered since.)  Seriously, we need to know what that material is.

I too have noticed that some furniture today doesn't seem to be designed for any real person that I know of.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »

Trojan, is the whole wall damp or just near the ceiling of just near the floor?  Water not only drains down, it also wicks up.  Soft and damp is moisture.  Is your central air conditioning unit in the attic?  Is the condenser water collection pan overhead near where you have the moisture proplem?  Is the problem new?  Only intermittant?

If the outside of your house is stuco, the sprinkler water hitting the walls is a good thing in prolonged hot weather--unless you've got hairline cracks. I wouldn't let the water hit the outside walls as a everytime thing, though.

Good luck on finding the source.  Try to think of all that was going on during the time of the soft wet wall.

thanks for the thoughts...
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 03:54:29 PM »

I just purchased my first place. Its a condo apartment.  I was reading this thread and became very happy that I didn't try to paint the place myself.  I just had the place repainted Monday and Tuesday and it looks professional and there are no messes to fix!

Of course... it cost me a ton.  But what else is new?  After buying the place i've spent nearly 10k just to make "improvements".  It never ends does it?  I can easily see spending about another 25k to redo the kitchen and both bathrooms as well as get a new forced air system AC and furnace.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 12:33:14 AM »

Kam, if you can get all the renovations you mentioned in your post for $25K, WOW, I'm impressed.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2007, 12:48:51 PM »

Kam -

Believe it or not, I've gotten to the point now where I really enjoy painting, and I've gotten quite good at it.  My son and I did the other bathroom within a matter of days, and it came out perfect.  I need to go back and redo the trim in certain areas now, but that's not a big deal.

I'm deciding on what color I want my accent walls and hallway in right now.  I love agonizing over paint color, etc. 
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2007, 01:16:04 PM »

We had a Wild Kingdom scenario in the backyard last night.  A raccoon wandering onto the property around dusk, so my son and I went outside to get a better look.  We were tiptoeing around and trying not to frighten it until we realized how tame it was.  It spent about an hour out there just puttering around - it would walk up to me and sniff my leg and rub right up against me - it was so beautiful.  We were very careful not to try and touch it, but it was tempting.

I hope he comes back for a visit every now and then - what a treat it was to meet him.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »

So Kam -

What is your color scheme?  Are you going for a modern look, traditional, deco, or what? 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: