Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 06:49:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 78290 times)
barton (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13785 on: Today at 05:05:45 PM »

Thanks for the link.

You post this response frequently.  I have no idea what that means.  Does it mean you read the article and agree with the facts as presented?  Or is this some kind of content-free snark?  If you disagree with the findings, why?  What sort of evidence do you have to support your contention? 

See what I mean?
Quote from:  Who? Itz ME!
(Please to note: The Cheesy fellow is meant to indicate that the post is intended to be whimsical, tongue in cheek. I propose that the:

Grin= Sarcasm (if the post is designed to be sarcastic, give a head up)
Sad = Bad News (D'er) especially good when the entirety of a post is a single link with only its gobbledee goop to explain what it is.
Angry+ The Above
Smily= Good News (from your POV)
Wink = a Limbaughsity. Limbaughsity is when Temerity is used sarcastically.as in "How DARE people be upset that Lighthouses are being washed away by Global Warming? We don't use light houses anymore any way!" (A wink let's it be known that you don't really mean that you're ok with evidence that what was once considered "Far enough away from the water." is now  NOT!) )

With Kid, I'd settle for a few words in plain English that reflect actual reading of the linked article followed by a thought process.  As for my original post, was hoping I didn't need a bad news emoji to convey that Monsanto runoff killing streams and oceans might be sorta not so good. 

Now I go back and check on some of lower profile but important news stories that Josh and Rembee are alertly alluding so ably. 

There will be more Capetown type water crises, for sure.  As Mark Twain noted over a century ago ( he was talking about his impressions of S. California ): "whisky is for drinking and water is for fighting over.".

Cheers!

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13786 on: Today at 05:09:15 PM »

While posturing (by both sides) over the government shutdown continues, a number of other issues draws my attention.

You forget the FISA MEMO!  The worse than Watergate smoking gun that shows the whole Russia thing is a witch-hunt, that the FBI is in bed with the DNC and should be purged and Obama and Hillary will be sent to jail.

That's kind of a big thing to leave out, josh.  How is it that this issue of national importance has escaped your purview?

Just kidding, of course.

North Korea outmaneuvering the US to become the next to join the list of nuclear armed ballistic missile countries (I guess technically its on the list right now, but the US would like to remove it) while Trump ineffectually rages is indeed a story that will be much, much bigger in the future than any CR vote.

But...how about that FISA!

Fisagate is nothing compared to pizzagate.  So many young lives ruined!  (mostly by rancid olive oil and too many anchovies)

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
NYKnicks12

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13787 on: Today at 05:15:24 PM »

I guess some in the Democratic Party are starting to get a clue...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/21/us/women-march-cecila-richards-trnd/index.html
NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13788 on: Today at 05:20:54 PM »

And you favored shutting down the Government to come away with THAT?

A few things to note here:  One, the assumption that I favored the shutdown. 

Two, that now instead of arguing that Democrats got nothing! you are saying that what they got was not worth the price of the shutdown.  To that, at least politically speaking, you would need to elaborate on what price the Democrats paid.  It’s possible that had things gone too long public sentiment would have turned against them, but as it is I’d say its inarguably zero.  And paying zero for reauthorization of CHIP and a clear path toward an up-down vote on DACA, while maintaining bargaining power over the next three weeks…yes, I’d say those things are well worth that price.
luee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13789 on: Today at 05:26:00 PM »

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Tuesday released a report attempting to link immigrants to terrorism, presenting statistics showing that the vast majority of people convicted of international terrorism charges in the United States over the past 15 years were born in foreign countries.

---The report actually concluded that three out of four individuals convicted of “international” terrorism or terrorism-related charges were foreign-born.

“This report shows, once again, that our current immigration system jeopardizes our national security,” said a White House fact sheet promoting the findings, which were compiled by the Departments of Justice and Homeland Security.---

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/us/politics/trump-immigration-terror-convictions.html

facilitatorn

remember when the knicks were fun?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13790 on: Today at 05:31:31 PM »

We did a little tap dance on that report and it’s jinned up figures when it came out. There may even have been some speculation that it was designed specifically to get your panties in a twist by stoking your tribalism.

Into the shattered ruins stepped the Don
NYKnicks12

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13791 on: Today at 05:39:05 PM »

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Tuesday released a report attempting to link immigrants to terrorism, presenting statistics showing that the vast majority of people convicted of international terrorism charges in the United States over the past 15 years were born in foreign countries.

---The report actually concluded that three out of four individuals convicted of “international” terrorism or terrorism-related charges were foreign-born.

“This report shows, once again, that our current immigration system jeopardizes our national security,” said a White House fact sheet promoting the findings, which were compiled by the Departments of Justice and Homeland Security.---

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/us/politics/trump-immigration-terror-convictions.html

Lord...
NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13792 on: Today at 05:51:33 PM »

We did a little tap dance on that report and it’s jinned up figures when it came out.

And since then, we know even more.

Like the report, which claimed to be the product of DHS studies, was not.  No such studies exist:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/team-trump-bypassed-dhs-analysts-to-produce-bogus-terror-report

Politically motivated hackery of the highest order.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13793 on: Today at 05:58:49 PM »

Schumer Schurrender

heh

There's your few words, Barton.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13794 on: Today at 06:02:08 PM »

Everything in Kid's life is a sports scoreboard.

I'm a pretty good cook sitting on my groceries. Come up to my kitchen. I'll show you my best recipe
REDSTATEWARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13795 on: Today at 06:24:22 PM »

Schumer says “ Uncle”

Schumer cried "uncle" weeks ago when it was clear the Democrats were offering Republicans major concessions in order to enact legislation Republicans claim they want.
Wrong, by a mile. The debate on Immigration was always going to happen but it makes no political sense to most  Americans to tie the funding of t he Government to  illegal immigration. Schumer’s ploy came away with nothing the democrats didn’t already have.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/01/22/democrats-caved-to-end-the-shutdown-just-ask-them/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_fix-demscave-2pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.d725b3c8d84a

It does look like Schumer and the Democrats are in a better position, though, than they were last week.
The dems did nothing to enhance their position by shutting down the Government.  

Did you say, "Schumer says Uncle"? 
YES.  Do you even attempt to read the news?
Obviously not.

josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13796 on: Today at 06:34:58 PM »

"Today, in an effort to skew the data, the Trump administration put out a report on international terrorism, which oddly enough involved countries outside the United States. The report did not cover domestic terrorism and when the administration was asked bout that, the were not available for on-the-record commentary. Off the record, they explained that they were not permitted to discuss it."

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13797 on: Today at 06:42:45 PM »

We did a little tap dance on that report and it’s jinned up figures when it came out.

And since then, we know even more.

Like the report, which claimed to be the product of DHS studies, was not.  No such studies exist:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/team-trump-bypassed-dhs-analysts-to-produce-bogus-terror-report

Politically motivated hackery of the highest order.

I'd missed that!

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13798 on: Today at 06:46:55 PM »

Schumer Schurrender

heh

There's your few words, Barton.

CHIP funded for 6 years and a promise of a vote on DACA, with a chance to repeat the dance in 3 weeks and you think Schumer surrendered?!

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/22/16920532/shutdown-deal-democrats

3) We also don’t know what the implicit Democratic position is here. If Democrats get a fair vote in the House and Senate on an immigration deal and it doesn’t pass, will they shut down the government again in three weeks? Put differently, is this a deal about a fair process or about a particular outcome? If Democrats don’t get a deal and they shut the government back down in three weeks, it’s hard to see what was lost here.

REDSTATEWARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13799 on: Today at 06:48:21 PM »

And you favored shutting down the Government to come away with THAT?

A few things to note here:  One, the assumption that I favored the shutdown.  

Two, that now instead of arguing that Democrats got nothing! you are saying that what they got was not worth the price of the shutdown.  To that, at least politically speaking, you would need to elaborate on what price the Democrats paid.  It’s possible that had things gone too long public sentiment would have turned against them, but as it is I’d say its inarguably zero.  And paying zero for reauthorization of CHIP
which the GOP already agreed to but you are still as clueless as THATsME

and a clear path toward an up-down vote on DACA, while maintaining bargaining power over the next three weeks…yes, I’d say those things are well worth that price.
Maintain bargain power? What does that even mean?

Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920]
  Print  

Jump to: