Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 10:10:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1486
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 165062 times)
evvie and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
samiinh

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 06:26:24 PM »

Thanks for the correction on the law school...it must be said, however, that it is difficult to distinguish between Robertson and Dobson...white? [check] beady-eyed & negatory? [check] misogynist? [check] Born Against anything that isn't one of the above? [check-check-check].  I'm not copping out on my mini-me error, pilgrim...I'm just saying that if you've seen one, you've seen the other.  If you see them both on the same podium...head for the woods.

Agreed.  Not much difference between any of them.  Falwell is fatter than the rest.  Tony Perkins is younger and hunkier.  James Kennedy has the whitest hair, I think.  Then there is that charmer from Kansas, Rev. Fred Phelps.  They're all the same.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »

Although it dismays two of my sisters, I turned away from the Catholic church that I was raised and educated in, was when the ruling bishop in Richmond announced that you couldn't be a "good Catholic" if you believed in the right of women to choose how their bodies would be used. I immediately resigned from teaching a CCD class. Since I found protestant churches unsatisfying and rather inclined to pettiness, I remain unchurched to this day.

samiinh

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 07:29:59 PM »

Although it dismays two of my sisters, I turned away from the Catholic church that I was raised and educated in, was when the ruling bishop in Richmond announced that you couldn't be a "good Catholic" if you believed in the right of women to choose how their bodies would be used. I immediately resigned from teaching a CCD class. Since I found protestant churches unsatisfying and rather inclined to pettiness, I remain unchurched to this day.

There are many of us who are "unchurched" today.  You are not alone.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 10:39:51 PM »

Sami,

Let me express my profound sadness for the loss of your son.

Anne
thecap0

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 06:43:44 AM »

Sam,I do find it unsettling to have 5 members of the Roman Catholic Church sitting on the SCOTUS.  How many are Opus Dei?

At least two - Thomas and Scalia.  Thomas was also a seminarian in his younger days.

Like most sensible people, I have no objection to any 5 members of the SCOTUS being of any sect whatsoever.

I remember the wise words of John Kennedy's confessor, Richard Cardinal Cushing of Boston.  It was he who stated that any faith which requires the force of law for support does not deserve to be called a faith at all.

I'm just afraid that in 2007 the question the West Virginia coal miner asked Kennedy in 1960 now has an answer different from the one Kennedy gave at the time.

YES, I'm old enough to remember it! <GRIN!>
samiinh

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 07:02:07 AM »

Sami,

Let me express my profound sadness for the loss of your son.

Anne

Thank you.   I appreciate that.
samiinh

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 07:03:24 AM »

Sam,I do find it unsettling to have 5 members of the Roman Catholic Church sitting on the SCOTUS.  How many are Opus Dei?

At least two - Thomas and Scalia.  Thomas was also a seminarian in his younger days.

Like most sensible people, I have no objection to any 5 members of the SCOTUS being of any sect whatsoever.

I remember the wise words of John Kennedy's confessor, Richard Cardinal Cushing of Boston.  It was he who stated that any faith which requires the force of law for support does not deserve to be called a faith at all.

I'm just afraid that in 2007 the question the West Virginia coal miner asked Kennedy in 1960 now has an answer different from the one Kennedy gave at the time.

YES, I'm old enough to remember it! <GRIN!>

Me too.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 08:02:26 AM »

Here is another indictment of the Bush admininstration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/washington/25osha.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

More deaths to attribute to capitalism. More sickness. More people unable to work due to workplace illnesses. The capitalists aren't happy unless they can kill their workers, and Bush is leading the way!
samiinh

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 10:36:25 AM »

Here is another indictment of the Bush admininstration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/washington/25osha.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

More deaths to attribute to capitalism. More sickness. More people unable to work due to workplace illnesses. The capitalists aren't happy unless they can kill their workers, and Bush is leading the way!

I would love to see impeachment proceedings, but it won't happen.  But it might be better leaving  Bush in the WH as a lame duck for the next 18 months or so and watch him continue to implode.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 11:00:41 AM »

Lame duck or not, Bush still has the capacity to wreak a lot of havoc on the nation. I would prefer to see him impeached, but then Cheney would take over, and that isn't a good situation either.

The event at Virginia Tech seems to be prodding even the gun enthusiasts to revamp the applications of the law:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/24/AR2007042402524.html?referrer=email

The laws to protect the mentally ill from discrimation are working badly to prevent their insane actions against themselves and innocent victime. It is time to tighten up the laws. Charlton Heston be darned!
samiinh

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 11:06:37 AM »

Lame duck or not, Bush still has the capacity to wreak a lot of havoc on the nation. I would prefer to see him impeached, but then Cheney would take over, and that isn't a good situation either.

The event at Virginia Tech seems to be prodding even the gun enthusiasts to revamp the applications of the law:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/24/AR2007042402524.html?referrer=email

The laws to protect the mentally ill from discrimation are working badly to prevent their insane actions against themselves and innocent victime. It is time to tighten up the laws. Charlton Heston be darned!

I believe Articles of Impeachment are being introduced by Dennis Kocinich against Richard Cheney.  Whether it will go anywhere is anybody's guess.
samiinh

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 11:09:11 AM »

Both Jessica Lynch and Pat Tillman should be recognized as heroes who served their country in time of war.

Instead, they became pawns in a far-bigger war: a conflict of lies used to sell an invasion launched for fabricated reasons and fought - to this day - for political reasons that have nothing to do with the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 or any actual threat to the peace and security of the United States.

Like all soldiers who have died, come home maimed or face a future of haunting nightmares from an insane war, they deserved far better.

Doug Thompson.

These young people were used as pawns in the Pentagon's propaganda mission.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 08:30:44 PM »

It was so sad to see how disinterested the press was in Jessica Lynch when the learned she had not been abused by her captors, but was treated with respect.

It is totally inexcusable that Tillman's family was not told immediately about the circumstances surrounding his death. The cover-up was America at its worst! How can we point fingers to other country leaders who "lie" to their citizens, when we do the same here?

samiinh

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 09:37:38 AM »

It was so sad to see how disinterested the press was in Jessica Lynch when the learned she had not been abused by her captors, but was treated with respect.

It is totally inexcusable that Tillman's family was not told immediately about the circumstances surrounding his death. The cover-up was America at its worst! How can we point fingers to other country leaders who "lie" to their citizens, when we do the same here?

Facts aren't important in this administration.

Time to get out
Margaret Landsman, Concord

printicon Print article
mailicon Send to friend
Letter to the editor Letter to editor

For the Monitor
April 26. 2007 8:00AM

Unfortunately, facts do get in the way of your April 24 editorial criticizing the Democrats for not listening to General Petraeus explain the so-called turnaround in Iraq. Who is not listening?

The "surge," or addition of U.S. troops, started in February. Through April 23, 247 American soldiers died. (See "Iraq Coalition Casualty Count" online.) Last year, 162 died in those same three months. When you add in "coalition forces," the figures are equally alarming: 264 in 2007, 173 during the same months in 2006.

Either way you cut it, that's a 65 percent increase in deaths. For Iraqis, the increase is 62 percent.

The Monitor has criticized the wrong group. It's George Bush, Gen. Petraeus and their followers who are not listening. It is time to get out of Iraq and end this tragic war.
ngc321

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 09:55:33 AM »

a conflict of lies used to sell an invasion launched for fabricated reasons...

If you are referring to WMDs, here IS what blows that arguement right out of the water...

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear.
We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from USA but, what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological
weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program.
He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members.  It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

Did bush make these people lie?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1486
  Print  

Jump to: