Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 17, 2018, 07:08:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1488
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 165502 times)
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10815 on: December 04, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »

Dictatorship?

Come on.

C’mon, son! Trump and the GOP are literally using the game plan from the authoritarian playbook.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10816 on: December 04, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »

If there had been a Senate candidate with as clear a record and as lame a response as Moore's running for a seat during the years in which Obama was president, I suspect he would have called for the man to step aside.
   And just today that paragon of decency with the United States Senate—Mitch McConnell—announced that he is walking back his earlier statements about opposing seating Moore should he win to a position of “We will let the voters of Alabama sort this out”. This weak, pasty-faced coward (along with his equally spineless pal in the House, Paul Ryan) is the exact reason why there is no longer a ‘real’ Republican Party left in America, but is instead only a shell of what used to be the Republican Party, which is now dominated by the Tea Party faction or the Trumpistas.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:38:31 PM by Driver125 » Logged
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10817 on: December 04, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »

Dictatorship?

Come on.

Why is this hard to follow?  The only barrier between Authoritarianism and Democracy is our Constitution, and the only way to ensure that the Executive Branch adheres to the Constitution is Congressional oversight and the threat of removal.

If Congress is unwilling to use those tools (and certainly, it would appear that is the case) then how is a decent into authoritarianism (even if temporary) so far-fetched?

I'll repeat the examples:

- The President's lawyer has given a window into the planned defense of the President; that he has the authority to oversee law enforcement and use it as he pleases.  Has any Republican in Congress responded to this?

-  Observers believe there is little doubt the President will respond to the ongoing Mueller Investigation by firing him if it gets to close to him.  Has any Republican in Congress responded to this, outside of the milquetoast "the investigation should be allowed to reach its conclusion."

-  The Trump has signaled strongly that he will pardon any associates (including family members) found guilty of wrongdoing on his behalf.  Has any Republican in Congress responded to this?

This isn't about me getting my way (really, whatever the fuck that was supposed to mean) You either think a President can hold himself and his allies above the law, or you don't.

And if you don't, you look to Republicans in Congress to do their jobs.  They have given no indication thus far that they have any intention of doing that.

yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10818 on: December 04, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »

I think the President has authoritarian tendencies.  I also think he would like to be a dictator, but until he outlaws competing parties and cancels elections I'm not going to call him that. 

The judge said "son what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't to have to die."
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10819 on: December 04, 2017, 04:47:27 PM »

And ultimately, the best indication that we have become a banana republic?

If a Republican Congress with a 13% approval rating, protecting a President with a 35% approval rating, actively trying to seat an accused child molester that only 16% of Americans feel should stay in the race, all so that they can pass a tax law with 25% approval and make cuts in spending approved of by 30% of Americans manages to retain power after 2018.

And thanks to anti-democratic measures Republicans have spent years putting into place, it could happen.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:50:42 PM by NeedsAdjustments » Logged
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10820 on: December 04, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »

I think the President has authoritarian tendencies.  I also think he would like to be a dictator, but until he outlaws competing parties and cancels elections I'm not going to call him that. 

Only the most extreme possible outcome would prove the case?  Bullshit.

The President has "authoritarian tendencies."  Ok.  So who is putting a check on those tendencies?
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10821 on: December 04, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »

By then it would be too late...

yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10822 on: December 04, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »

I think the President has authoritarian tendencies.  I also think he would like to be a dictator, but until he outlaws competing parties and cancels elections I'm not going to call him that.  

Only the most extreme possible outcome would prove the case?  Bullshit.

The President has "authoritarian tendencies."  Ok.  So who is putting a check on those tendencies?
Bullshit? I've given you pretty much what a "dictator" does.  You want to change the definition of the word? Go right ahead.  I don't.  Trump can and eventually will be controlled by democratic means.  Elections control authoritarian tendencies. Tell me what the turnout was in the last election before you start spouting "bullshit" at me.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:59:18 PM by yankguy » Logged

The judge said "son what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't to have to die."
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10823 on: December 04, 2017, 05:04:26 PM »

Trump tops quite a few world leaders on approval rating within their own nations

Everyone thinks they (or their guy) can do it better.

Tough job - and DT WINNING at it right now - which is really what irks so many of you
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10824 on: December 04, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »

Bullshit? I've given you pretty much what a "dictator" does.  You want to change the definition of the word? Go right ahead.  I don't. 

What is bullshit is the distinction.  "Putin isn't a dictator, just merely has authoritarian tendencies that no one in government is empowered to stop."  There is no meaningful difference, only a definitional one.

Trump can and eventually will be controlled by democratic means.  Elections control authoritarian tendencies. Tell me what the turnout was in the last election before you start spouting "bullshit" at me.

Assuming that his authoritarianism can be controlled via election has two obvious problems.  A) It may not.  Republicans may still retain both the Senate and House.  What then?  And B) Trump would almost certainly use those unchecked "authoritarian tendencies" to try to retain power.  If he does so, who will stop him?  The Republican Party that benefits electorally from Trump sending the Justice Department after Democrats, and from shielding (and thus enabling) Russian contacts and interference in elections?

You think that's overheated, right?  Far fetched?  Tell me why you think that.
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10825 on: December 04, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »

Trump tops quite a few world leaders on approval rating within their own nations

Everyone thinks they (or their guy) can do it better.

Tough job - and DT WINNING at it right now - which is really what irks so many of you

No President since WWII has had approval ratings this low at this point in office, or sustained a period of sub-40 ratings for as long a period of time.  Its not even close.  Not even Gerald Ford was this bad.

That's winning only by the definition of toady who would define "winning" as anything Donald Trump does.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10826 on: December 04, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »

Have it your way. That you believe that Trump is Putin is enough for me not to bother anymore.

NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10827 on: December 04, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »

Have it your way. That you believe that Trump is Putin is enough for me not to bother anymore.

That you believe that I said "Trump is Putin" is enough for me to do the same.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10828 on: December 04, 2017, 05:19:02 PM »

You said my saying Trump  had authoritarian tendencies but was not a dictator was the same as saying that about Putin. I understand you're not too bright and don't write well so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Hint: Trump wishes he could be Putin. But he can't be. For many reasons.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:22:10 PM by yankguy » Logged

NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10829 on: December 04, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »

You said my saying Trump was had authoritarian tendencies but was not a dictator was the same as saying that about Putin. I understand you're not too bright and don't write well so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

And I'll assume you are unable to answer the simple question I asked because you aren't bright enough or articulate enough to support your own argument.

That really advances the discussion doesn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1488
  Print  

Jump to: