Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 08:54:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 908
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 76875 times)
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10845 on: December 04, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »

You're far too young to remember Nixon who was a far smarter Trump. Read "The Plot that Failed".

I am.  But I know some history.  Including that Nixon faced a Democratic Congress.  And he did not enjoy the same structural changes to our democracy that Trump does.

Thanks for the book rec.  I have a long list of books ahead of it, but I’ll add it.

You know why Nixon faced a Democratic Congress don't you?

Vietnam, would be my guess.
People voted for Democrats. Even imperfect, horror-show Democrats. The last gap of the Roosevelt coalition. And even if that coalition is gone there are still more Democrats than Republicans and even with anecdotal, or more serious accounts of voter-supression, there is no reason that Democrats should be run over.

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone. Somebody must change. You are the reason I've been waiting so long. Somebody holds the key. But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time. And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.
NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10846 on: December 04, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »

I have no doubt people will vote for Democrats.  But not in the numbers they should, for many of the reasons already noted.

And when it will take about an (estimated) 58% national number for voters to turn the House, its an uphill battle from the start.
NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10847 on: December 04, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »

Btw.

except for the not bright part-sorry I got carried away

Let me acknowledge this and say its appreciated.  And say I'm sorry about the "bullshit."  I use the term conversationally unfortunately and it reads harsher in this format than it was meant.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10848 on: December 04, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »

Btw.

except for the not bright part-sorry I got carried away

Let me acknowledge this and say its appreciated.  And say I'm sorry about the "bullshit."  I use the term conversationally unfortunately and it reads harsher in this format than it was meant.
Thanks. We're good.

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone. Somebody must change. You are the reason I've been waiting so long. Somebody holds the key. But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time. And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10849 on: December 04, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

Trump tops quite a few world leaders on approval rating within their own nations

Everyone thinks they (or their guy) can do it better.

Tough job - and DT WINNING at it right now - which is really what irks so many of you

That was surreal.  You really are one of the pod people. 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10850 on: December 04, 2017, 07:05:09 PM »

Trump tops quite a few world leaders on approval rating within their own nations

Tough job - and DT WINNING at it right now - which is really what irks so many of you

Look around, and you will see this argument making the rounds in conservative media.  That Trump's numbers don't look so bad compared to the three Ms (Merkel, Macron, May)

But what sounds like an argument isn't one.  None of these folks are easy to equate on the ideological spectrum.  If anything they are getting killed for their politics being too conservative, which doesn't make kidcarter8's case, I think.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10851 on: December 04, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »

Yeah, kid views politics about the way most people view a horse race.  But in this case, he thinks the trailing horse wins.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10852 on: December 04, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »

Look around, and you will see this argument making the rounds in conservative media.  That Trump's numbers don't look so bad compared to the three Ms (Merkel, Macron, May)

But what sounds like an argument isn't one.  None of these folks are easy to equate on the ideological spectrum.  If anything they are getting killed for their politics being too conservative, which doesn't make kidcarter8's case, I think.

Also, multiparty parliamentary systems are more fractured than the US and naturally produce lower numbers. 

What does it matter?  All is grace.
NYKnicks12

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10853 on: December 04, 2017, 07:13:50 PM »

You're far too young to remember Nixon who was a far smarter Trump. Read "The Plot that Failed".

I am.  But I know some history.  Including that Nixon faced a Democratic Congress.  And he did not enjoy the same structural changes to our democracy that Trump does.

Thanks for the book rec.  I have a long list of books ahead of it, but I’ll add it.

People voted for Democrats. Even imperfect, horror-show Democrats. The last gap of the Roosevelt coalition. And even if that coalition is gone there are still more Democrats than Republicans and even with anecdotal, or more serious accounts of voter-supression, there is no reason that Democrats should be run over.

Nixon and George Wallace greased the skids for the South's exodus from Dem to GOP. The Southern Strategy set the stage for the politics of white resentment culminating in the era of Trump.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10854 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »

Nixon and George Wallace greased the skids for the South's exodus from Dem to GOP. The Southern Strategy set the stage for the politics of white resentment culminating in the era of Trump.
True enough. What's also true is the demise of "bossism" "smoke-filled rooms" and long in place party rules that were part-and-parcel of the FDR coalition. This, in turn, led to the rise of, for better or worse, identity group politics in the Democratic Party and the disastrous nomination of George McGovern.

REDSTATEWARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10855 on: December 04, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »

Dictatorship?

Come on.

Why is this hard to follow?  The only barrier between Authoritarianism and Democracy is our Constitution, and the only way to ensure that the Executive Branch adheres to the Constitution is Congressional oversight and the threat of removal.
And your point is what?
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10856 on: December 04, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »

No, Kid.

It is what would irk YOU in our situation and you make the common mistake of assuming everybody operates from the same limited morality that you do.

But no, I the wish Trump were winning and doing wonderful things. I wish his tax plan were valid.

But I am irked because he is causing unnecessary pain to so many with such long term consequences.

And I am irked at having dolts like you and RSW and Bambu and sometimes Luee who demonstrate cluelessness about law, taxation, economy, education, health, and criminal justice akin to our president's, but without any of his redeeming features.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10857 on: December 04, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5145245/U-S-court-lets-Trumps-latest-travel-ban-effect.html

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday handed a victory to President Donald Trump by allowing his latest travel ban targeting people from six Muslim-majority countries to go into full effect even as legal challenges continue in lower courts.

#####

Looks like Americans are finally understanding what's required to keep them safe.

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10858 on: December 04, 2017, 11:04:19 PM »

WaPo inaccurate? No way!

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/937879368814284801

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10859 on: December 04, 2017, 11:15:23 PM »