Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 12:09:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 1231
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 111425 times)
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10875 on: December 05, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/report-mueller-subpoenas-trumps-deutsche-bank-records.html

Mueller Subpoenas Trump's Deutsch Bank Records.

Bloomberg reported on Tuesday morning that Special Counsel Robert Mueller issued a subpoena to Deutsche Bank, Germany’s largest lender, several weeks ago. The bank agreed to submit documents “on its relationship with Trump and his family,” which go back almost 20 years, according to an anonymous source.

The move is significant on multiple levels. For one thing, it shows that Mueller has succeeded where Democratic lawmakers have failed: getting Deutsche to cough up details about the roughly $300 million Trump owed the bank for real-estate dealings before he ran for president. Democrats like Congresswoman Maxine Waters had questioned whether those loans had any connection to Russia, but the bank had rebuffed all requests until now, citing confidentiality laws.

The $300 million includes a $170 million loan Trump took out to complete a hotel in Washington, two mortgages against his Trump National Doral Miami resort, and a loan against his tower in Chicago.

Deutsche’s connections to Russia aren’t merely hypothetical: The bank has previously paid $670 million to U.S. and U.K. regulators over its role in a Russian money-laundering scheme, but a Department of Justice inquiry into a $10 billion scheme has stalled for unclear reasons.

Drip...drip...drip...

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10876 on: December 05, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »

RNC follows Trump and goes all-in on Moore, because since separating themselves from him after he was credibly accused of child molestation, evidence has emerged that has cast doubt on those accusations polling has been released that shows the race tightening.

2018 is going to be fun.

Yep

Got my eye on Michigan, with John James or Robert Young vs the incumbent Stabenow

Even Jersey might be a hoot.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10877 on: December 05, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/report-mueller-subpoenas-trumps-deutsche-bank-records.html

Bloomberg reported on Tuesday morning that Special Counsel Robert Mueller issued a subpoena to Deutsche Bank, Germany’s largest lender, several weeks ago. The bank agreed to submit documents “on its relationship with Trump and his family,” which go back almost 20 years, according to an anonymous source.

The move is significant on multiple levels. For one thing, it shows that Mueller has succeeded where Democratic lawmakers have failed: getting Deutsche to cough up details about the roughly $300 million Trump owed the bank for real-estate dealings before he ran for president. Democrats like Congresswoman Maxine Waters had questioned whether those loans had any connection to Russia, but the bank had rebuffed all requests until now, citing confidentiality laws.

The $300 million includes a $170 million loan Trump took out to complete a hotel in Washington, two mortgages against his Trump National Doral Miami resort, and a loan against his tower in Chicago.

Deutsche’s connections to Russia aren’t merely hypothetical: The bank has previously paid $670 million to U.S. and U.K. regulators over its role in a Russian money-laundering scheme, but a Department of Justice inquiry into a $10 billion scheme has stalled for unclear reasons.

Drip...drip...drip...

Yep

No "there" there.
NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10878 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »

My irony meter broke some time ago, given that the party that has sold itself as defenders of morality is now backing Moore.

Good piece in the NYT this morning on why impeachment of #45 makes more sense than prosecution. 

Meh.  Yoo mostly makes the same faulty arguments most conservatives are making (basing your judgment on Trump's misdeeds only on what is currently known makes some sense, I suppose, but then admit that those judgments could change tomorrow) and makes a presumption that Comey's firing was unrelated to a desire to end the investigation based on what I think is an entirely false assertion (The President can just order the FBI to end an investigation into his associates?  Pretty sure that is not true.)  

Mostly, what is the argument, really?  Does a presupposition that a sitting President can not be charged mean that crimes he committed before or during his tenure not be investigated?  Wouldn't any argument that a President be impeached be bolstered by the knowledge that he committed a crime?
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10879 on: December 05, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-pol-essential-washington-updates-white-house-spokesman-refuses-to-answer-1512431536-htmlstory.html?utm_source=Communications&utm_campaign=071dcc6c98-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_12_05&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c67d07604c-071dcc6c98-247956409&mc_cid=071dcc6c98&mc_eid=0c98b215d0

When asked why the change in policy, the spokesman refused to answer on the record.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10880 on: December 05, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »

Drip...drip...drip...

Yep

No "there" there.

Pure coincidence.

He was just curious.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10881 on: December 05, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »

This is just dumb: https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/938092843494793216?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10882 on: December 05, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »

Needs,

Did we read the same article (by Yoo)?  He isn't saying there isn't evidence of criminality, nor that it shouldn't be investigated, just that it's much easier to prosecute said high crimes and misdeeds in the Congress than in court.  He was making the point that sharp lawyers can punch holes in the tweet narrative, or the Comey firing narrative, or what have you.  I took him to mean, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  The good, in this case, is the expeditious removal of Trump from office.

That said, I think there will be some juicy stuff in the Deutschebank angle, as detailed in Utley's post today.  Get the guy impeached, and I think there will be plenty of causes of legal action against the Huckster-in-Chief.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10883 on: December 05, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »

Needs,

Did we read the same article (by Yoo)?  He isn't saying there isn't evidence of criminality, nor that it shouldn't be investigated, just that it's much easier to prosecute said high crimes and misdeeds in the Congress than in court.  He was making the point that sharp lawyers can punch holes in the tweet narrative, or the Comey firing narrative, or what have you.  I took him to mean, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  The good, in this case, is the expeditious removal of Trump from office.

That said, I think there will be some juicy stuff in the Deutschebank angle, as detailed in Utley's post today.  Get the guy impeached, and I think there will be plenty of causes of legal action against the Huckster-in-Chief.

By "impeached," I presume you mean "impeached, tried, found guilty, and removed from office?"

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10884 on: December 05, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »

Elizabeth Warren votes NO on Powell nomination to chair Federal Reserve

heh

22 for

1 against
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10885 on: December 05, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »

HEH!!!!!

I hope your brother's El Camino runs forever.....
NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10886 on: December 05, 2017, 01:10:02 PM »

Needs,

Yeah, same article.  Knowing who he is, I went into it with some skepticism, so saw the attempts to downplay the case against Trump largely in line with the arguments being made by Trump allies.  Which they were…no one is going to prosecute based on a tweet, obviously.  Its what the Tweet points to.  And the side conversations with Comey aren’t the basis of the case, but context for his firing.  Of course, if someone wants to know why Trump fired Comey, well, there is an interview, on air with Lester Holt, which Yoo didn’t mention.

I just don’t get the point of the argument.  Yes, impeachment is easier, and the chances of impeachment are much higher than jail time.  We know this before looking at any evidence.  But impeachment is also political, and isn’t going to happen with Republicans in control full stop, but what little chance there is would likely need criminal, prosecutable actions to back it.  Hence Mueller.

And I'm still curious at Yoo's assertion that the President has the power to stop an criminal investigation into his associates.  I'm pretty sure that is loud wrong.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:11:54 PM by NeedsAdjustments » Logged
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10887 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sexual-misconduct/john-conyers-announces-retirement-congress-endorses-son-amid-harassment-scandal-n826616

Conyers is gone.

There may be two Conyers running for his seat.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10888 on: December 05, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »

RNC follows Trump and goes all-in on Moore, because since separating themselves from him after he was credibly accused of child molestation, evidence has emerged that has cast doubt on those accusations polling has been released that shows the race tightening.

2018 is going to be fun.

Yep

Got my eye on Michigan, with John James or Robert Young vs the incumbent Stabenow

Even Jersey might be a hoot.
Yeah, put your money there.

Real eyes will be on Arizona especially if, as most here think but will not say, there are two senate seats up for vote.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10889 on: December 05, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-03/u-s-house-republicans-prepare-contempt-action-against-fbi-doj-jaqegooo?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=bd&utm_campaign=headline&cmpId=yhoo.headline

U.S. House Republicans are drafting a contempt of Congress resolution against Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and FBI Director Christopher Wray, claiming stonewalling in producing material related to the Russia-Trump probes and other matters.

Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes and other committee Republicans, after considering such action for several weeks, decided to move after media including the New York Times reported Saturday on why a top FBI official assigned to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe of Russia-Trump election collusion had been removed from the investigation.

Republicans, including the president, pointed to the reports as evidence that the entire probe into Russian meddling has been politically motivated.

Lying lap dogs for the shameless POTUS. Banana Republicans Part I.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:00:32 PM by MrUtley3 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 1231
  Print  

Jump to: