Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 04:31:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 1485
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 164868 times)
NYKnicks12 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11625 on: December 15, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/12/15/democrats_see_young-voter_surge_growing_in_2018_135798.html

Here's hoping this is both an accurate read of things and a continuing trend going forward.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11626 on: December 15, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/364921-trump-in-2010-obama-very-smart-to-seat-scott-brown-before-final

Seat Doug Jones.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11627 on: December 15, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »

Think Little Marco will hold out for what he wants, or capitulate? I'm guessing the latter.
Marco Rubio—Limp Noodle of the Senate? Capitulate—almost certainly.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:58:43 PM by Driver125 » Logged
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11628 on: December 15, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »

My wife is Catholic.  I am told the seal of the confessional cannot be broken for any reason, including criminality or future criminality.  The most that a priest taking confession can do is to require that the penitent turn themselves into the law.  If that doesn't happen, then he can withhold absolution.

Sorry, Oz cops.  

Making celibacy voluntary sounds like a sensible move, however.  

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11629 on: December 15, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »

This fellow is from the Kid Carter School of Government.
Isn’t that the place where you attend seminars, pick your nose, and watch replays of Michigan football on your iPhone?
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11630 on: December 15, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »

GOP strategy:  Garlandize, Garlandize, Garlandize! 

facilitatorn
Superhero Member

remember when the knicks were fun?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11631 on: December 15, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »

If Marco gets his child tax credit, they have to cut someone else's pet component or run over 1.5 trillion or run over the deficit by 10 years getting back to the 60 vote threshold. Or the bill just gets worse. Should the miserable package ever become law, it will be a fixed text subject to all manner of rigorous analysis and it will become widely known how much worse the turd is than what it was sold to be. This factual narrative will propagate during the months when new Trump brand espionage, obstruction, conspiracy, emoluments, fraud, obstruction revelations will reinforce how terrible the Republican Party is, depressing voters on the right and energizing those in the center and on the left. No wonder Paul Ryan has shadow quit. He's seen the future and it isn't him.

McCarthy and Scalise firming up their respective coalitions should just add a touch of extra spice to the smooth functioning of the republican congress.

It couldn't be happening to a nicer party...

Into the shattered ruins stepped the Don
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11632 on: December 15, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »

RUBIO CAVES!
The Limp Noodle of the Senate is back onboard with the tax plan after he gets a 15% bone tossed to him on the child tax program. The rest of the bill? Huh? Whaaaaat? Well, let’s give him credit…..He held out for almost 24 hours. Now he will have his big issue in place for his next election. Why, in his mind, this probably makes him presidential again. Uh, no Little Marco. The Orange Führer put that notion to sleep—probably forever……
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11633 on: December 15, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-12-15/rubio-threat-on-child-tax-credit-puts-bump-in-gop-tax-path

John McCain of Arizona, who is 81, is at a Washington-area military hospital being treated for the side effects of brain cancer treatment, and 80-year-old Thad Cochran of Mississippi had a non-melanoma lesion removed from his nose earlier this week. GOP leaders are hopeful they will be available next week.

So, just wondering... if say, due to mysterious circumstances a few of these GOP Senators disappear before the vote...I guess that delays the whole gig for a while.

I'm not suggesting anyone here or elsewhere do anything untoward, just speculating as to what might occur, if, say...some one of this wealth-are managers took  a little ride down near the Potomac, or in Rock Cree Park, and did a Chandra Levy...

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11634 on: December 15, 2017, 03:55:48 PM »

http://wfla.com/2017/12/15/scientists-keep-eye-on-1st-interstellar-visitor-which-some-say-could-be-an-alien-spacecraft/

CAPE CANAVERAL, FL (WCMH/AP) — A strangely-shaped asteroid caught the attention of astronomers as it zoomed past a collection of telescopes in Hawaii last month.

The oblong shape was dubbed ‘Oumuamua, which means “scout” or “messenger” in Hawaii, Slate reports.

Oumuamua is the first known interstellar object to pass through our solar system. It is different than other asteroids for several reasons, NBC News explains. Oumuamua has an unusual shape and a hyperbolic trajectory, unlike the elliptical orbit that objects born in our solar system usually follow. It also came into our solar system at a blistering pace.

“I’m surprised by the elongated shape — nobody expected that,” said astronomer David Jewitt of the University of California, Los Angeles, who led the observation team that reported on the characteristics.

This undated photo made available by the University of Hawaii shows the Pan-STARRS1 Observatory on Haleakala, Maui, Hawaii at sunset. In October 2017, the telescope discovered an object from another star system that’s passing through ours. It was given the name “Oumuamua,” which in Hawaiian means a messenger from afar arriving first. (Rob Ratkowski/University of Hawaii via AP)
It came from the direction of the constellation Lyra, which is 25 light-years away. Some scientists with Breakthrough Initiatives are scanning the object in search of any transmission signals in case this strange visitor was sent by an outlying alien civilization.

This may explain Trump. They're coming to bring him back home.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11635 on: December 15, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »

My wife is Catholic.  I am told the seal of the confessional cannot be broken for any reason, including criminality or future criminality.  The most that a priest taking confession can do is to require that the penitent turn themselves into the law.  If that doesn't happen, then he can withhold absolution.

Sorry, Oz cops.  

Probably best priests and the Catholic Church don't test the Oz cops resolve to protect children and punish criminality....if new laws are passed.

bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11636 on: December 15, 2017, 06:01:28 PM »

Sorry, Oz cops.  

Probably best priests and the Catholic Church don't test the Oz cops resolve to protect children and punish criminality....if new laws are passed.

I am all for resolve and protecting children, but I think the blowback from forcing a violation of the confessional would damage trust between the public and law enforcement.  That kind of move comes perilously close to a police state.   Also consider this:  when people have a place to confess bad thoughts, and confidence in the security of such disclosures, that may serve as a safety valve on acting out on such thoughts.  So the confessional may help to prevent many sorts of heinous crime by helping many people deal with their darker emotions.  In any case, good luck trying to actually enforce a law demanding priests break the seal of the confessional -- do you think many priests will cooperate? 

bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11637 on: December 15, 2017, 06:12:37 PM »

This factual narrative will propagate during the months when new Trump brand espionage, obstruction, conspiracy, emoluments, fraud, obstruction revelations will reinforce how terrible the Republican Party is, depressing voters on the right and energizing those in the center and on the left. No wonder Paul Ryan has shadow quit. He's seen the future and it isn't him.
  -- F'torn

Sounds about right to me.  Some of these dropouts may come back in another life as libertarians.  They've seen that the inner sausage-making of federal government is so horrible that they will  reappear at their state level as advocates for Balkanization of the country.  Settle interstate issues (e.g. pollution drift) by treaty rather than by law. 

FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11638 on: December 15, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »

Marco Rubio is still Presidential....

Why I’m Voting Yes on Tax Reform

MARCO RUBIO·FRIDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2017

On December 2nd, when the Senate passed our version of tax reform, I voted yes with one reservation: that while the bill contained pro-growth reforms making American businesses more globally competitive, that version did not give enough relief to hardworking American families.

This week, as we have worked our way through the last steps of the tax reform process, I have been a consistent advocate for ensuring meaningful tax relief for working families is included in the final bill. I am happy to report after negotiations with my colleagues, the child tax credit has been significantly expanded to enable more lower-income workers to keep more of the money they earn.

For far too long, Washington has ignored and left behind the American working class. Increasing the refundability of the Child Tax Credit from 55% to 70% is a solid step toward broader reforms which are both pro-growth and pro-worker. But there is still much more to do in the months and years to come.  The progress made on the Child Tax Credit would not have been possible without the support of Senators Mike Lee and Tim Scott, and Ivanka Trump.

This change, along with the strong pro-growth, pro-American jobs provisions already contained in the legislation, makes me an enthusiastic yes vote for the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. This tax reform legislation is now a historic win for American working families.

I look forward to the vote next week, and for President Trump to sign the bill into law as an early Christmas present to the American people.

We also need to support tax breaks to help with student loans.

And we need approaches which seek to keep the fathers involved in the lives of their children. Too many children are being raised without fathers. And we need more good programs like the Big Brother / Big Sister program, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11639 on: December 15, 2017, 08:55:05 PM »

Marco Rubio is still....
a spineless empty suit.

Fixed it for you.

What does it matter?  All is grace.