Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 08:56:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 922
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 78475 times)
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12420 on: January 01, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/29/16677002/progressives-america-local-elections

The Democratic Party is doomed. I know because RSW said so.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12421 on: January 01, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »

Some things to think about this new year...

We need to support good human rights in China, and around the world. And we need to support the workers in China the same way that we all supported Solidarity in Poland. By supporting good human rights in China we will help to make the world a better place.

And we need to support women's rights in the Middle East and around the world, including in Iran. We also need to support equal pay for women, equal pay for equal work. Women's rights are human rights, and we need to fight for good rights for all human beings.

Happy New Year!

Salute,

Tony V.
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12422 on: January 01, 2018, 06:38:36 PM »

Once they let the first wave of European immigrants in the place went right to hell and never recovered. Countries send their worst and they’ve been buggering themselves in Australia for centuries.

Time for countries to send their best instead.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12423 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »

For your bemusement, temperature log from north of Franconia Notch in NH, comparing the last week of 2017 with the last week of 2018. The blue horizontal line is 0*F.

josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12424 on: January 01, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »

http://mainepublic.org/post/thursdays-cold-sets-record-atop-mount-washington

FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12425 on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »

On the issue of Puerto Rico...

As people work to rebuild Puerto Rico, people need to make Puerto Rico environmentally friendly, Puerto Rico needs to be rebuilt to use wind, solar, hydro, and geothermal, etc, to power Puerto Rico in the future. Puerto Rico needs to go with clean energy. And guys like Elon Musk can help to make Puerto Rico environmentally friendly. 

As Puerto Rico rebuilds, Puerto Rico also needs to build a fiber optic network for communications. 

Link... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber-optic_communication 

And they can also use the money from a recycling program to have free Wi-Fi for everyone, as some other areas have done. Bottles, cans, etc, can be recycled, with the money going for free Wi-Fi for everyone. 

There are several things which could be done to improve Puerto Rico as they rebuild. 

On the issue of unemployed coal mine workers, they can help Puerto Rico, and others hurt by hurricanes, etc... 

We can put a tariff on imported oil to pay to train the coal mine workers to do the jobs of the future, such as making solar panels, and wind power generators, etc. 

We do not want to put a tax on the local, native oil, because that would hurt the USA, but what we can do is to put tariffs on the oil from the Middle East, etc, and use some of the money from the imported oil tariffs to train the workers in the coal areas to do the jobs of the future, and we need to give them business loans to create the companies of the future, etc. 

The coal jobs will not return, and we need to train the coal workers for the jobs of the future. 

The coal mine workers can help to build solar panels for Puerto Rico, and for Texas and Louisiana, etc, as those areas rebuild they need to go green and use clean energy, such as wind, hydro, geothermal, solar, etc, etc, etc, and the former coal workers can help to build the solar panels for them, etc, they should get tax breaks for buying American products as they rebuild. 

Salute, 

Tony V.
oilcan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12426 on: January 01, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »

Once they let the first wave of European immigrants in the place went right to hell and never recovered. Countries send their worst and they’ve been buggering themselves in Australia for centuries.

Anatomically, a bit of a challenge.  Happy 2018. 

Get out the vote, whatever else you do!
facilitatorn

remember when the knicks were fun?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12427 on: January 01, 2018, 10:07:12 PM »

Time for countries to send their best instead.

You have zero capacity to make the distinction.

Into the shattered ruins stepped the Don
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12428 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:04 AM »

The Democratic Party is doomed. I know because RSW said so.
Well, if Dead Head Red said it it HAS to be true.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12429 on: January 02, 2018, 07:11:32 AM »

Must reading for about 95% of you:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/01/opinion/the-retreat-to-tribalism.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fdavid-brooks&action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection

Abandon your tribal instincts, professional victims.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12430 on: January 02, 2018, 07:16:48 AM »

Happy New Year

No evidence Popadopolous shared anything with the Trump campaign

- MSNBC
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12431 on: January 02, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »

I like Brooks and have quoted him here FTtT.  Agree, but I don't believe Elba is the worst manifestation of tribalism...we are all talking to each other and several of us have spoken against partisanship and slavish adherence to party lines.  In 2017, opposition to GOP policy (shredded EPA, anyone?) was not just a spasm of tribalism.   And one thing I do know:  trolling members by constantly calling them professional victims doesn't foster real dialog. 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12432 on: January 02, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »

I like Brooks and have quoted him here FTtT.  Agree, but I don't believe Elba is the worst manifestation of tribalism...we are all talking to each other and several of us have spoken against partisanship and slavish adherence to party lines.  In 2017, opposition to GOP policy (shredded EPA, anyone?) was not just a spasm of tribalism.   And one thing I do know:  trolling members by constantly calling them professional victims doesn't foster real dialog. 

Well, let's see.

We have RSW and Josh and you and Driver and kid screaming each day "hooray for our side" and "your side sucks", and we have plenty of folks here, such as you, claiming to be deeply offended by the other side, but there are no "victims" here?

Denial ain't a river, barton. It's your M.O.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12433 on: January 02, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »

You really are losing it.  How does expressing disagreement with the ruling party make someone a "victim."  Nor have I been "deeply offended."  I live around plenty of people who go around spouting ignorant drivel and I just smile and let them run their mouths. 

The only side I've said hooray for is the side of democracy and the freedom and dignity of the individual.  I'm not big on large government, though my liberal social positions in some areas seem to lead some to assume that I am.  If the GOP had actually floated a tax plan that reduced the deficit, consistent with the GOP platform, I would have had more good to say about it.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12434 on: January 02, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »

You really are losing it.  How does expressing disagreement with the ruling party make someone a "victim."  Nor have I been "deeply offended."  I live around plenty of people who go around spouting ignorant drivel and I just smile and let them run their mouths. 

The only side I've said hooray for is the side of democracy and the freedom and dignity of the individual.  I'm not big on large government, though my liberal social positions in some areas seem to lead some to assume that I am.  If the GOP had actually floated a tax plan that reduced the deficit, consistent with the GOP platform, I would have had more good to say about it.

I guess you aren't connecting the dots too well. Go back and read the piece again. Maybe think about it a bit before you make any other comments.

Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 922
  Print  

Jump to: