Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 18, 2018, 08:56:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1042
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 87826 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14880 on: February 07, 2018, 10:16:20 AM »

Anyone being critical - I'd like to know where they are coming from with their thought process.

You can skip this part if you like.  Whisk will take care of it (or Needs, I am sure)

I think "Leni Riefenstahl" was an obvious clue.

Knicks and ItzYou, thanks.  I just got to the post first and saw low hanging fruit.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14881 on: February 07, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »

Wow.  Opposition to Trump makes strange bedfellows!  The bed is getting really full these days. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14882 on: February 07, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »

Anyone being critical - I'd like to know where they are coming from with their thought process.

You can skip this part if you like.  Whisk will take care of it (or Needs, I am sure)

Knicks and ItzYou, thanks.  I just got to the post first and saw low hanging fruit.
I assume Kid had no idea what I was talking about with that reference.

I don't know what happens when people die. Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try. It's like a song I can hear playing right in my ear. That I can't sing. I can't help listening and I can't help feeling stupid standing around.
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14883 on: February 07, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »

2 B fair, it is said that Trump wants a military parade like the one he saw on Bastille Day in Paris.

That he doesn't understand the logistics of such a parade in the US of A is unsurprising.

What is also unsurprising is that the Texassholes aren't sphincter tightening over a military operation in the capitol. After they were losing their shit (mix metaphors much?) over the military operations in Texas when it was obvious to them that it was the deep state getting ready to confiscate their guns!

I look at it thusly. Trump knows he is not long for the job. So he might as well fulfill all of his fantasies while he's there.

The job does not have the perks he thought it was going to have (dismissing all investigations and tax audits against him and his, in perpetuity.) But it does have some, and he's going to take full advantage, regardless of how embarrassed the rest of us are for the global display that we elected a 9 year old boy to be President.

But then, we ought to be used to it by now. How long was our government tied up by legislators that signed on to the idea of an 11 year old Grover Norquist?

God, I am so embarrassed! The same country that is the home (if not the birthplace) of a man who sent a car into space to drive for a billion years around the inner solar system, is headed up by a flaming asshole!

Interesting though, if I may. As I was watching the launch I noted the gender/genetic/generalization of the crowd. They looked like a forest of 30 something y/o white trees. They were even the same ish height! Not a man of color to be seen, or a woman of any description.

But then there was the reporter (for lack of a better term) Beautiful, Black, buxom! with her denim shirt unbuttoned down to accommodate the "excess payload" her cargo bay was straining to contain. I suspect that she is Lesbian, because it checks off another "diversity" box.  

I want to make sure that it is understood that I don't think she didn't deserve the job based on her intellectual bona fides. But I do think her positioning was intentional for its own political messaging.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:27:07 AM by Itz ME! » Logged
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14884 on: February 07, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »

How about it's a f'ing waste of money? Money that actually could be spent on military that the President cares so deeply about.

Oh, so you think its an either-or thing?  Soldiers go without necessary equipment because we have a parade?
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14885 on: February 07, 2018, 10:28:53 AM »

Yes. Money spent on one thing can be spent on something else. And, dumbass, there's more to military service than the "equipment" the military has. But, Trump would rather show off. Do you actually know anybody in the military? Or is "support the troops" an empty slogan for you?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:34:47 AM by yankguy » Logged

I don't know what happens when people die. Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try. It's like a song I can hear playing right in my ear. That I can't sing. I can't help listening and I can't help feeling stupid standing around.
REDSTATEWARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14886 on: February 07, 2018, 10:30:12 AM »

That we all care deeply about.
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14887 on: February 07, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »

How about it's a f'ing waste of money? Money that actually could be spent on military that the President cares so deeply about.

Oh, so you think its an either-or thing?  Soldiers go without necessary equipment because we have a parade?

How about, ordinary people go without FOOD! Does that make it ok with you? How about, the world is looking at our fiscal priorities and wondering if their going to get the money they put into US Treasuries back? How about that?

How about Mr. Deal maker, who wants $1.7T in infrastructure while paying $200B for it, tells the fucking NRA, "Hey, let's up the gun culture by having a gun parade? You buy, we fly!" How about Northrup Grumman, or General Dynamics or Lockheed Martin or  Boeing paying for the parade (not that those bloodsuckers won't just add to the price of their products to get the $ back!)
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14888 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »

Knicks and ItzYou, thanks.  I just got to the post first and saw low hanging fruit.
I assume Kid had no idea what I was talking about with that reference.

I wonder if Trump just likes trolling the Dems.

One of his advisors may have mentioned a US military parade with tanks, ICBMs and thousands of marching troops would evoke images of Russian/German/N Korean hardware showcases with high-stepping-goose soldiers booga looing down broad boulevards, would most certainly piss off the "left", and Donnie was all in.

and when Donald really wants to do something it comes down to a triumph of his will.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14889 on: February 07, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »

Yes. Money spent on one thing can be spent on something else. And, dumbass, there's more to military service than the "equipment" the military has. But, Trump would rather show off. Do you actually know anybody in the military? Or is "support the troops" an empty slogan for you?

Well, you are dead wrong.  A parade takes NOTHING away from what is needed to effectively run our military.  Do I know anyone in the military?  Why?  Because your daughter's friend's cousin is in the Navy?  And due to this I should bow to your inane statements?

heh
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14890 on: February 07, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »

Well, you are dead wrong.  A parade takes NOTHING away from what is needed to effectively run our military.  Do I know anyone in the military?  Why?  Because your daughter's friend's cousin is in the Navy?  And due to this I should bow to your inane statements?

heh
You have no idea what it is needed to "effectively run our military" because you are a very stupid person.  Heh.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14891 on: February 07, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »

Not to mention it's spending money that you don't have. The GOP keeps borrowing and borrowing. Not good for the USA. This is like buying a new dress or new suit for yourself, when your 12 kids have no shoes.

Isn't that what the "welfare queens" of Gingrich GOP era were always accused of doing when THEY were wasting your "hard earned money" and "living off the government "?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:06:24 AM by MrUtley3 » Logged

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14892 on: February 07, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »

I would assume the $ cost of a parade is minimal relative to the military budget or any other financial benchmark.

We celebrate our military in many ways, holidays, parades and other rememberances and they are deserved for the many and huge sacrifices these brave people make on a daily basis.

But to make the US military a cheap prop, and just another distraction for the boy-president to manipulate, and one that in fact evokes authoritarian rulers, is disgusting.

Thats the real cost.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:11:25 AM by bankshot1 » Logged

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14893 on: February 07, 2018, 11:10:18 AM »

Outside of the cost, which is minimal (you guys know how big our defense budget is, right?  Even if the parade costs $100,000 million that's 0.005% of the annual defense budget) the question should be, what is the point?

And that is where the criticism comes from.  It is a purely political order, using the our military purely for the aggrandizement of Trump.  This is the stuff of dictators, and the optics to our friends living under Representative Democracies  looks very bad.  

We already have Trump's "fake news!" being used as a bludgeon by authoritarians all over the world.  Our President needs to think harder about who it is he wants the United States of America to set an example for.

...and before anyone makes the comparison to Trump's model, Bastille Day in France is a national celebration of independence, with the tradition of a military parade going back 150 years.  So no, not the same thing.

NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14894 on: February 07, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »

I would assume the $ cost of a parade is minimal relative to the military budget or any other benchmark.

We celebrate our military in many ways, holidays, parades and other rememberances and they are deserved for the many and huge sacrifices these brave people make on a daily basis.

But to make the US military a cheap prop, and just another distraction, for the boy-president, that in fact evokes authoritarian rulers, is disgusting.

Thats the real cost.

Beat me to it.
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1042
  Print  

Jump to: