Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 20, 2018, 11:27:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 ... 1422
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 153440 times)
whiskeypriest, barton and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14985 on: February 07, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »

Ridiculous idea...lying down in front of tanks.
The driver might accidentally not see you.

If I were an American, no way I'd be lying down in front of tanks or anything else.
I'd be letting the President have his parade...my guess is he will anyway...with any lying-downers swiftly despatched to somewhere else.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14986 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:35 PM »

If I were an American, no way I'd be lying down in front of tanks or anything else.
I'd be letting the President have his parade...my guess is he will anyway...with any lying-downers swiftly despatched to somewhere else.

You have the courage of your convictions, bambu.

No convictions, however.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14987 on: February 07, 2018, 11:09:23 PM »

http://thehill.com/policy/international/372772-israeli-police-recommend-indicting-netanyahu-for-corruption-report

Stop me if any of this sounds familiar...
In a Facebook video Netanyahu acknowledged that the police would likely move to recommend his indictment, but dismissed the allegations against him and predicted Mandelblit would not move to press charges.
"The State of Israel is a state of law. The law says that the one to determine whether there is evidence against the prime minister is the attorney general and he consults with the state attorney. The state prosecutor recently said in the Knesset that about half of the police's recommendations end with nothing," Netanyahu said Wednesday.

"So do not be nervous ... I am sure that at the end of the day the competent legal bodies will come to one conclusion, to the simple truth: There is nothing," he added.

"There is nothing."

Of course not, Bibi. The police chiefs are all delusional, but not you.

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14988 on: February 08, 2018, 12:22:02 AM »

Would have been great if he said, "this is a nothingburger"
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14989 on: February 08, 2018, 12:28:54 AM »

Would have been great if he said, "this is a nothingburger"

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:37:25 AM by josh » Logged

josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14990 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/rob-porter-john-kelly/index.html

"I was shocked by the new allegations released today against Rob Porter," Kelly said. "There is no place for domestic violence in our society. I stand by my previous comments of the Rob Porter that I have come to know since becoming Chief of Staff, and believe every individual deserves the right to defend their reputation. I accepted his resignation earlier today, and will ensure a swift and orderly transition."

Porter had told people in the West Wing, including Kelly, that his exes were trying to smear him, according to the official. The official disputed the assertion that Kelly knew all of these details for months, though other sources told CNN he was aware. It wasn't until last week that Kelly knew he had been twice married, this official said.

"Rob misled everyone," the official said.

Let's take this at face value for a moment.

Nobody knew that Porter had been married twice.

Nobody?

Did the FBI or Secret Service actually vet the White House employees? How could they not know as basic a fact as how many times the man had been married?

How did they not know about the allegations of abuse of his first wife?

Or, let's assume they're lying through their teeth.

In which case, they knew about the allegations of abuse and chose to keep him, which makes Kelly's new statement (above) seem pretty disingenuous.

At best, they are thoroughly incompetent and have people working in the White House with close to no actual security vetting. It goes downhill from there.

josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14991 on: February 08, 2018, 01:05:02 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/legal-us-usa-drilling-offshore/california-says-it-will-ban-crude-from-trump-offshore-drilling-plan-idUSKBN1FR2ZF

California will block the transport of petroleum from new offshore oil rigs through its state, officials told Reuters, a move meant to hobble the Trump administration’s effort to vastly expand drilling in U.S. federal waters.

California’s threat to deny pipeline permits for transporting oil from new leases off the Pacific Coast is the latest step by states trying to halt the biggest proposed expansion in decades of federal oil and gas leasing. Officials in Florida, North and South Carolina, Delaware and Washington, have also warned drilling could despoil beaches, harm wildlife and hurt lucrative tourism industries.

“I am resolved that not a single drop from Trump’s new oil plan ever makes landfall in California,” Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, chair of the State Lands Commission and a Democratic candidate for governor, said in an emailed statement.

The administration has scheduled too few public meetings in California to get input on the proposed offshore drilling plan, the lands commission contended on Wednesday in a letter, seen by Reuters, that was sent to an official at the U.S. Interior Department’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM). The letter urged the bureau’s program manager Kelly Hammerle to withdraw the draft proposal and noted that only one hearing has been scheduled in the entire state of 40 million people.

”It is certain that the state would not approve new pipelines or allow use of existing pipelines to transport oil from new leases onshore,” wrote the commission, charged with permitting pipelines in California.

bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14992 on: February 08, 2018, 01:09:38 AM »

No convictions, however.

I have convictions.
Enlisting in the military WW2 would've been one of them...but today is not 1942.

Lying down in front of tanks in Washington [a totally dumb idea] is not one of them.

At age 20 I had screaming matches in the family home living room with tyrant father over the draft and the Vietnam war...and my convictions.
He said he hoped I'd be drafted "to make a man out of you".
I said "Nuke 'em"....["my being drafted, forced into the military, is "Nazi Germany".]
He said "Can't do that".
I said "Yes, nuke em"...."trudging thru the jungles of Vietnam getting slaughtered is a ridiculous idea".

I had/have convictions...there was/is a long list.

One was [campaigning for] abolition of death chambers in Australia...
...done.
Another was abolition of corporal punishment in schools in Australia...
...done.
Another was abolition of the draft in Australia...
...done.
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14993 on: February 08, 2018, 01:26:17 AM »

No convictions, however.

I'll take a wild guess and say that I won't see you lying down in front of tanks either!  Wink

Lying down in front of the President's tanks is not, IMO; "Look after yourself first in this world, son...because nobody else will"
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14994 on: February 08, 2018, 01:52:13 AM »

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs/tim-blair/black-life-did-not-matter/news-story/cea9115008934c1e056c6c1d01faa1ef

BLACK LIFE DID NOT MATTER

February 7, 2018 7:55pm

In New Orleans, where the vast majority of homicides are black men killed by other black men, Black Lives Matter activist Muhiyidin Moye is among the latest of 28 people to be murdered in the city so far this year.

It’s a dangerous place, particularly at 1.30am:
A Black Lives Matter activist from South Carolina died Tuesday after being shot in the thigh earlier in the day on Bienville Street in New Orleans, according to the NOPD.

The shooting victim has been identified as Muhiyidin Moye, an NOPD spokesman said Tuesday night.

Moye – who preferred the last name d'Baha, according to the Washington Post – and was called "Moye" or "Moya" by loved ones, was struck by gunfire shortly before 1:30 a.m. in the 1900 block of Bienville Street.

d'Baha was taken to a local hospital and later died of his wounds, police confirmed.

The young man was riding a bicycle when he was shot.

#####

If only he'd been tucked up in bed by 10pm.
facilitatorn
Superhero Member

remember when the knicks were fun?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14995 on: February 08, 2018, 02:32:49 AM »

Josh what this latest abusive prick to get ejected from the White House should tell you. Is that they have done every single thing possible to avoid, sandbag, and sabotage any vetting or security clearance protocols meant to protect us from villainy in all its forms. They have been doing this from day 1 of the transition (the well spring of all Mike Pence’s serious serious felonies) because not 1 in 5 members of this administration could honestly get the clearance to do the work they are making half assed attempts at pretending to do. This is a huge issue that will merit a lot of investigation come January.

Into the shattered ruins stepped the Don
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14996 on: February 08, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »

Schindlers List is on my tv now.
Jews being dispossessed, humiliated at every turn, then exterminated in death chambers by Nazi Germany [elected by the People].

No surprise that the Jews who are left have decided to "Look after ourselves first in this world, because nobody else will"
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14997 on: February 08, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/rob-porter-john-kelly/index.html

"I was shocked by the new allegations released today against Rob Porter," Kelly said. "There is no place for domestic violence in our society. I stand by my previous comments of the Rob Porter that I have come to know since becoming Chief of Staff, and believe every individual deserves the right to defend their reputation. I accepted his resignation earlier today, and will ensure a swift and orderly transition."

Porter had told people in the West Wing, including Kelly, that his exes were trying to smear him, according to the official. The official disputed the assertion that Kelly knew all of these details for months, though other sources told CNN he was aware. It wasn't until last week that Kelly knew he had been twice married, this official said.

"Rob misled everyone," the official said.

Let's take this at face value for a moment.

Nobody knew that Porter had been married twice.

Nobody?

Did the FBI or Secret Service actually vet the White House employees? How could they not know as basic a fact as how many times the man had been married?

How did they not know about the allegations of abuse of his first wife?

Or, let's assume they're lying through their teeth.

In which case, they knew about the allegations of abuse and chose to keep him, which makes Kelly's new statement (above) seem pretty disingenuous.

At best, they are thoroughly incompetent and have people working in the White House with close to no actual security vetting. It goes downhill from there.

He was vetted. He couldn’t get a security clearance.

He couldn’t get a security clearance.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14998 on: February 08, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »

Josh - what do you make of Porter's assertion that HE TOOK THE PHOTOS that were circulated?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14999 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »

Given the level of reported abuse, over an extended period, it might be something in their relationship, some way of maintaining a threat, that we cannot understand.  But the bruise and swollen cheekbone is there, whoever snapped the shutter.  And Porter's disclaimers that it wasn't all that bad are undermined by the photos and the reports of both ex-wives.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Pages: 1 ... 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 ... 1422
  Print  

Jump to: