Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 20, 2018, 09:05:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1422
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 153404 times)
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15915 on: February 23, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »

I laughed again and told him to keep on reading Breitbart and watching Hannity.

And gave him a one armed salute.

a very Elbanese day in the burbs.

One armed salute?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5243283/Man-Nazi-salute-mouthing-white-power-cricket-game.html

Father caught performing Nazi salute while mouthing 'white power' during a cricket game broadcast apologises for his 'poor choice of humour'

. Supporter says racist words and gesture at match was 'poor choice of humour'
. Melbourne Renegades fan Brendan McMahon raised arm and said 'white power'
. The father released statement through Cricket Australia apologising for actions

A cricket supporter who made a Nazi salute and mouthed 'white power' during the Melbourne derby says it was a poor attempt at humour.

Brendan McMahon, a Melbourne Renegades fan, raised his arm and mouthed 'white power' as he saluted a boundary scored by Cameron White at the MCG on Saturday night.

The father, a foundation member of the Renegades, has since written to the franchise, saying he 'unreservedly' apologises and any racist undertone was accidental.

'This is a highly embarrassing situation not only for myself, and those who I may have offended, but also the Renegades brand,' Mr McMahon said in a statement through Cricket Australia.

'The gesture itself certainly highlighted just how poor my decision and choice of humour was.'

bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15916 on: February 23, 2018, 04:19:02 PM »

Rut Roh Rump!

Drip drip drip is turning into

Splash... Splash... Splash...

The Gates swings open...

I think Mueller's investigation should wrap up soon.  Why do they need so much time?  Not like they are coming up with anything.
Got that right, for a change.

Yeah!  Five indictments and four guilty pleas (not including the 13 indictments of Russian nationals) including the former campaign director of the President and his National Security Adviser. 

Nothing!

I'll note your decision to drop your air of impartiality here.

A few days ago, I was running some errands and came across a guy about my age or slighly older (late 60s-early 70s) with a table set up with the sign that read, "Impeach Mueller" showing a picture of Mueller behinds bars. Another sign said "Support the President"

As I walked by (to my car parked a few feet away) he asked me if I wanted to show my support for the country and Trump?

And I said "no thanks, friend, but supporting my country would allow Mueller to finish the job he started".

He didn't like that, and said Mueller should be jailed.

I laughed and said "sorry but you got it backwards"

and then he started in about Obama and drones.

I laughed again and told him to keep on reading Breitbart and watching Hannity.

And gave him a one armed salute.

a very Elbanese day in the burbs.

Yikes!

Engaging and laughing at political strangers in the street.
One armed saluting same.

A good way to get oneself Elbanesed straight into hospital/dentist, seems to me.

You and mrs bambu would make a good pair [of patients at the 'same' hospital/dentist] after your engaging/laughing at/saluting turns violent...she's always happy to engage in 'controversial' political etc conversation.  [watch out for the old guy's young minders lurking in the shadows.]

The guy wanted me to sign some far-far-right petition and I politely declined but shared my opposing political belief.

1st amendment works both ways.

By the time I "waved"  goodbye I was 20 ft away from Adolph and about to enter my car.

Risk to anyone was very limited.   

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15917 on: February 23, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »

L.A. County Homeless Population Continues to Grow Despite Billions From Tax Measures
POSTED 6:32 AM, FEBRUARY 19, 2018, BY LOS ANGELES TIMES

http://ktla.com/2018/02/19/l-a-county-homeless-population-continues-to-grow-despite-billions-from-tax-measures/

----------------

It is a crisis.

New high rises are being built in many areas, and extreme high density housing areas are the answer for many places. Many places are zoning for high density. Crystal City, in Virginia, is an example of a successful extreme high density community. New high rise buildings are being built in Los Angeles, and new planning is happening, to create more high density housing in Los Angeles, and in Anaheim they are building the Platinum Triangle community, etc.

Of note, is that many homeless people are hard workers who have jobs and whom still cannot afford housing. Nurses, chefs, and other hard workers, need to be able to afford housing, so there is a need for affordable one and two bedroom units, and the unions need to help get the wages up so that the workers can afford housing. 

We also need to bring the jobs back, such as bringing the automobile industry back to Van Nuys, we can manufacture electric cars in Van Nuys, etc, etc, etc. People need jobs, we need to bring the jobs back. We also need to do more to bring the entertainment industry jobs back to Los Angeles, as many entertainment industry jobs are being lost to Canada, etc.

Also, our high speed trains will help our economy by attracting more tourists to California, etc, we need to get our high speed trains built. We also need to build a high speed train between Anaheim and Las Vegas.

We need housing, and we need jobs.

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15918 on: February 23, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »

L.A. County Homeless Population Continues to Grow Despite Billions From Tax Measures
POSTED 6:32 AM, FEBRUARY 19, 2018, BY LOS ANGELES TIMES

http://ktla.com/2018/02/19/l-a-county-homeless-population-continues-to-grow-despite-billions-from-tax-measures/

----------------

It is a crisis.

New high rises are being built in many areas, and extreme high density housing areas are the answer for many places. Many places are zoning for high density. Crystal City, in Virginia, is an example of a successful extreme high density community. New high rise buildings are being built in Los Angeles, and new planning is happening, to create more high density housing in Los Angeles, and in Anaheim they are building the Platinum Triangle community, etc.

Of note, is that many homeless people are hard workers who have jobs and whom still cannot afford housing. Nurses, chefs, and other hard workers, need to be able to afford housing, so there is a need for affordable one and two bedroom units, and the unions need to help get the wages up so that the workers can afford housing. 

We also need to bring the jobs back, such as bringing the automobile industry back to Van Nuys, we can manufacture electric cars in Van Nuys, etc, etc, etc. People need jobs, we need to bring the jobs back. We also need to do more to bring the entertainment industry jobs back to Los Angeles, as many entertainment industry jobs are being lost to Canada, etc.

Also, our high speed trains will help our economy by attracting more tourists to California, etc, we need to get our high speed trains built. We also need to build a high speed train between Anaheim and Las Vegas.

We need housing, and we need jobs.

Salute,

Tony V.

If you ever wanted to own your own apartment building, now is a great time. You could own a tower like Trump. You could own a factory in Van Nuys, and you could own a tower in Los Angeles. 

I want to make at least one film here in Hollywood, I put too much into it to give up. I already have the script ready to go. I can create some good paying jobs for people, while making a dream come true for me. And California needs more dreamers like me to create jobs here. 

Salute,

Tony V.
LesMiserables

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15919 on: February 23, 2018, 05:43:30 PM »

The United States is not a christian nation.
What is the predominant religion in the USA?

Easy.

The NFL.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15920 on: February 23, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »

Rut Roh Rump!

Drip drip drip is turning into

Splash... Splash... Splash...

The Gates swings open...

I think Mueller's investigation should wrap up soon.  Why do they need so much time?  Not like they are coming up with anything.
Got that right, for a change.

Yeah!  Five indictments and four guilty pleas (not including the 13 indictments of Russian nationals) including the former campaign director of the President and his National Security Adviser. 

Nothing!

I'll note your decision to drop your air of impartiality here.
The indictments centered on a bunch of Russians impersonating a gang who couldn’t shoot straight who, by the
Prosecutors own words, had no influence on the election or involved complicity by any Americans.
All the rest from Mueller has  nothing to do with “ collusion”.
What is there to be “ partial” about?

Behave as expected. Omitted the phrase "this indictment" on whatever right wing web site you get your information from, did they?

What does it matter?  All is grace.
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15921 on: February 23, 2018, 05:46:14 PM »

Top Justice Dept. official alerted White House two weeks ago to ongoing issues in Kushner's security clearance

Republicans so concerned with the handling of classified information under the previous administration will shrug.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15922 on: February 23, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »

Bambu, Banks...Aren't all salutes "one armed"?  Must mean one fingered salute.  I tend to avoid that, given the level of gun ownership on the far right.  OTOH, it's protected as free speech, so I would find out how seriously the recipient of said salute takes other constitutional amendments.  Generally, a guy who has a table set up, is probably not prepared for genuine across-the-divide dialogue.  But, yeah, I'm usually tempted to try.  

Welcome to Lez Miz and Evvie.  

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15923 on: February 23, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »

Red, Kid, any of our esteemed conservatives notice that the armed deputy stationed at the school is now reported to have cowered outside the building during the shooting.  Apparently, a good guy with a gun doesn't always stop a bad guy with a gun.  Huh.  Who knew?
It would first require a “ good “ guy.  
Another case of the government coming  up short, way short.
The FBI disgracefully let a deranged killer roamfree and the last line of defense, the guard, was impotent.

Precisely what would have given the FBI the right to hold the guy? Or.seize his weapons?

As.for the cop, great lesson you are missing: people freeze and behave in human ways. Anyone who thinks Mr. Lagather from Trig is.going to suddenly morph into Liam Neeson and use a.certain set of skills to take.down the bad guy is an idiot.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15924 on: February 23, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »

Red, Kid, any of our esteemed conservatives notice that the armed deputy stationed at the school is now reported to have cowered outside the building during the shooting.  Apparently, a good guy with a gun doesn't always stop a bad guy with a gun.  Huh.  Who knew?
The FBI disgracefully let a deranged killer roamfree and the last line of defense, the guard, was impotent.

Precisely what would have given the FBI the right to hold the guy? Or.seize his weapons?

As.for the cop, great lesson you are missing: people freeze and behave in human ways. Anyone who thinks Mr. Lagather from Trig is.going to suddenly morph into Liam Neeson and use a.certain set of skills to take.down the bad guy is an idiot.
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15925 on: February 23, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/967179891388108801
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15926 on: February 23, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »

Someone has some serious shit on Gates and Manafort. Gates is pleading guilty to lying on FEBRUARY 1! That was the meeting where he was supposed to make a deal and he lied?

Lord, he must be scared shitless to pull that stunt.

He’s fucked... and there are way fewer than six degrees of separation between this guy and the Trump campaign.
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15927 on: February 23, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article201634984.html

See ya, Chad... soon to be Becky.

I don’t approve but facts are facts.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:08:16 PM by NYKnicks12 » Logged
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15928 on: February 23, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »

Red, Kid, any of our esteemed conservatives notice that the armed deputy stationed at the school is now reported to have cowered outside the building during the shooting.  Apparently, a good guy with a gun doesn't always stop a bad guy with a gun.  Huh.  Who knew?

We don’t know because the FBI never ever INVESTIGATED Bona Fide  tips  as described after the fact by its Director:

On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.

Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami Field Office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami Field Office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time.

FBI Director Christopher Wray said:

“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.

“We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy. All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”

The man in question wasn’t a Trig teacher he was a trained police officer hired to be a guard with the potential of being a first responder.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said the guard who was armed when gunman Nikolas Cruz opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, “never went in[to]” the building that was under attack. He said the school resource officer instead took up a position viewing the western entrance of the building.

Officials said Thursday the resource deputy assigned to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, never entered the building during Feb. 14's mass shooting.  (Reuters)

Israel said he was “devastated, sick to my stomach” after learning of the guard’s inaction during the school shooting that left 17 people dead. The sheriff said he believes He remained outside the building for roughly four minutes, while the shooting in total lasted around six minutes. Israel said the officer never fired his weapon.

"What matters is that when we, in law enforcement, arrive at an active shooter, we go in and address the target," the sheriff said. "And that’s what should’ve been done."

When asked what Peterson should have done, Israel said the deputy should have "went in, addressed the killer, killed the killer."

Meanwhile, inside the school, a courageous teacher herded a dozen or so students into his classroom and then died with a bullet in his back.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:34:17 PM by REDSTATEWARD » Logged
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15929 on: February 23, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »

From the Wall Street Journal
February 23, 2018

A January call to the Federal Bureau of Investigation tipline by an unidentified woman warned that she was concerned that Nikolas Cruz would “get into a school and just shoot the place up,” according to a transcript of her call with a bureau tipline operator reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.
The FBI last week acknowledged receiving such a call, which it said was from a person close to Mr. Cruz. But the transcript, and the stark nature of the caller’s precise warnings about Mr. Cruz’s disturbing actions and volatile temperament, previously hasn’t been made public.
Just weeks before the call to the FBI tipline, Mr. Cruz himself called 911 after a violent episode at the house where he was living. Punches had been thrown, household items broken, and he fled to a nearby park.
“I kind of got mad and I started punching walls and stuff,” Mr. Cruz told the dispatcher, his voice trembling during a 5½ minute call in late November, according to police records released this week. “The thing is I lost my mother a couple weeks ago, so like, I’m dealing with a bunch of [inaudible] right now.”
These calls and others are the latest evidence of Mr. Cruz’s fragility and the fears those close to him raised to authorities about his volatile temperament and fixation on guns. Such concerns had come to the attention of the school district, the state social-service agency, two local sheriff’s departments and the FBI.
Yet through a combination of human error, legal limitations and judgment calls, none of these agencies were able to stop Mr. Cruz before authorities say he opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, killing 17 students and adults.
Mr. Cruz wasn’t the only one to call police right after the late November fight, the records show. In a separate 911 call, a woman said she had taken him in after his mother died. She described the altercation between her adult son and Mr. Cruz, and her worries that Mr. Cruz had stormed off to get a gun from a nearby store.
“Because that’s all he wants is his gun, and that’s all he cares about is his gun,” the woman said in a recording of the call released by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.
Related Video
Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old former student of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School arrested for killing at least 17 students, has admitted to being the gunman, according to court records. We look back over the events that unfolded during the deadliest school shooting since Sandy Hook in 2012. Photo: Zuma Press
She said Mr. Cruz had a bunch of ammunition. She also said he planned to bury a gun in her backyard, that he had put his guns to his brother’s head, thrown objects and hit the walls of her home. “I cannot have him on the premises now,” said the woman.
The caller’s name was redacted by the sheriff’s office, but her description of the events indicate she is Rocxanne Deschamps, a 42-year-old who took in Nikolas Cruz and his younger brother. She couldn’t be reached for comment.
After the calls, a sheriff’s deputy helped calm the situation. Mr. Cruz and the woman’s son hugged and reconciled “their differences,” according to a police report. Mr. Cruz moved in with another family around that time.
Mr. Cruz’s public defender confirmed Friday that the 911 caller was Mr. Cruz. Broward County public defender Howard Finkelstein has said Mr. Cruz is willing to plead guilty to avoid the death penalty and to spare the community a painful trial.
Another member of his legal team, Gordon Weekes, chief assistant public defender in Broward County, described Mr. Cruz after a court appearance last week as “deeply disturbed, emotionally broken.”
But in some of the touchpoints in which authorities interacted with Mr. Cruz, it was determined that the threat he posed to himself or others wasn’t high enough to warrant intervention.
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel has said law-enforcement agencies were “handcuffed” on what they could do during their interactions with Mr. Cruz.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott proposed on Friday a new program that would allow family members, community welfare experts, or law enforcement to keep a violent or mentally ill person from buying or possessing a gun or any other weapons through a court petition. Such a program, Mr. Scott said, could have stopped Mr. Cruz, who admitted to being the gunman who opened fire at the high school.
Mr. Scott reviewed what he called the “warning signs.”
“He was kicked out of school, he was known to students as a danger to shoot people, and he was reported to the FBI last month as a possible school shooter,” Mr. Scott said in a news conference. “And yet, he was never put on the list to be denied the ability to buy a gun, and his guns were never removed from him.”
Related Video
Since 1998, there have been more than a dozen shootings at kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools that resulted in multiple deaths. These are some of the victims.
Mr. Cruz’s father died in 2004 and his mother died on Nov. 1, 2017. On Thursday, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office released a log of 23 calls pertaining to the Cruz family dating back to a 2008 stone-throwing episode involving Mr. Cruz, who was then 9 years old. Many of the calls involve Mr. Cruz’s mother seeking assistance due to Mr. Cruz’s anger issues, the log showed. In 2013, she reported that he threw her against a wall after she took away his Xbox.
In late November, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office heard from a caller in Massachusetts who warned that Mr. Cruz was collecting guns and knives and raised concerns that he will “kill himself one day and believe he could be a school shooter in the making.”
That is the third known instance since February 2016 in which authorities say they were warned by those who knew Mr. Cruz that he could eventually be a school shooter. The most recent of those calls was to the FBI tipline on Jan. 5, and the agency has said it failed to follow up on the information. The FBI and the Justice Department are investigating why the lead wasn’t followed up.
Another report came in September, when a Mississippi bail bondsman alerted the FBI after a YouTube commenter using the screen name “nikolas cruz” wrote that he planned to become “a professional school shooter.” The FBI said it didn’t have enough information to pursue that report.
The January caller to the FBI began by saying Mr. Cruz had the mental capacity of a 12- or 14-year-old. She said he had started posting messages on his Instagram account that he wanted to kill himself and she had alerted police, but wasn’t sure what happened in that investigation.
“Something is gonna happen,” she said. “Because he’s, he doesn’t have the mental capacity. He can’t, he’s so outraged if someone talks to him about certain things.”
School records reviewed by The Wall Street Journal also show a lengthy discipline record for Mr. Cruz, dating back to middle school. That includes several instances of disruptive behavior, making threats, fights and assaults. He was classified as “developmentally delayed” at the age of 3, according to the school records.
The Florida Department of Children and Families opened an investigation in September 2016 to investigate allegations of inadequate supervision and medical neglect by his mother, Lynda Cruz, according to a department report. The agency began the investigation after it was alerted to a social-media video Mr. Cruz posted of him cutting himself.
Its investigation found that Mr. Cruz, who was clinically depressed, was distraught following a romantic breakup, the report shows. He also spoke about wanting to buy a firearm for unknown reasons, according to the department report. The investigation ended after about two months, when the agency concluded there were no signs supporting allegations of inadequate supervision or medical neglect.
Members of the Deschamps family called police at least twice and raised concerns about Mr. Cruz’s behavior and fixation on guns, according to police reports and 911-call recordings. The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office said in a report after the late November incident that Mr. Cruz and his brother were staying with the Deschamps family because of the death of their mother.
Ms. Deschamps’s son, Rock, 22, said on another 911 call in late November that he had found a box for a 9 millimeter gun that he believed the 19-year-old living in their home had just purchased and buried. Mr. Deschamps said he wanted to find the weapon. “I’m honestly afraid for my mother, my little brother,” he said.
Mr. Deschamps couldn’t be reached for comment. The recording blocks out the moment he names the person he was calling about, though he appeared to describe Mr. Cruz.

—Jennifer Levitz contributed to this article.
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1422
  Print  

Jump to: