Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 22, 2018, 10:11:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1430
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 154726 times)
LesMiserables

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15960 on: February 25, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

https://www.change.org/p/jeff-bezos-remove-nratv-from-amazon-s-streaming-service-website

bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15961 on: February 25, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

The NRA has a difficult dilemma in defense of their crumbling position of "machine-guns for the masses".  They find themselves now attacking articulate and sympathetic kids who survived the shooting and who are righfully outraged and cops.  

I'm not sure that that's a winning position in '18 for most politicians.

The NRA may be on the road to marginalizing themselves by their over the top rhetoric and inability to compromise.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15962 on: February 25, 2018, 02:39:54 PM »

Do any of you think there is merit to these suits?

I don't mean in the arguments for why a different system would be better, but in the suits themselves - a reason for why one of them might win?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/winner-take-all_electoral_college_system_is_unconstitutional_say_suits_by_b/
No. None.

Seems like a suit is pointless.  Most of the electorate care about EC reform for a few weeks every 4 years and then forget about it.  Make more sense to make a tweak legislatively, so that electoral votes are apportioned in each state by vote ratio.  And not have a SD or WY vote be worth four California vote, by having a constant proportion throughout all states.   And legislative consideration won't happen with a GOP majority, since the present system favors red states -- and vote integrity is the last thing the GOP cares about.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15963 on: February 25, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »

I don't mean in the arguments for why a different system would be better, but in the suits themselves - a reason for why one of them might win?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/winner-take-all_electoral_college_system_is_unconstitutional_say_suits_by_b/
No. None.

Seems like a suit is pointless.
As was most of the rest of your response.
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15964 on: February 25, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »

L.A. County Homeless Population Continues to Grow Despite Billions From Tax Measures
POSTED 6:32 AM, FEBRUARY 19, 2018, BY LOS ANGELES TIMES

http://ktla.com/2018/02/19/l-a-county-homeless-population-continues-to-grow-despite-billions-from-tax-measures/

----------------

It is a crisis.

New high rises are being built in many areas, and extreme high density housing areas are the answer for many places. Many places are zoning for high density. Crystal City, in Virginia, is an example of a successful extreme high density community. New high rise buildings are being built in Los Angeles, and new planning is happening, to create more high density housing in Los Angeles, and in Anaheim they are building the Platinum Triangle community, etc.

Of note, is that many homeless people are hard workers who have jobs and whom still cannot afford housing. Nurses, chefs, and other hard workers, need to be able to afford housing, so there is a need for affordable one and two bedroom units, and the unions need to help get the wages up so that the workers can afford housing. 

We also need to bring the jobs back, such as bringing the automobile industry back to Van Nuys, we can manufacture electric cars in Van Nuys, etc, etc, etc. People need jobs, we need to bring the jobs back. We also need to do more to bring the entertainment industry jobs back to Los Angeles, as many entertainment industry jobs are being lost to Canada, etc.

Also, our high speed trains will help our economy by attracting more tourists to California, etc, we need to get our high speed trains built. We also need to build a high speed train between Anaheim and Las Vegas.

We need housing, and we need jobs.

Salute,

Tony V.

If you ever wanted to own your own apartment building, now is a great time. You could own a tower like Trump. You could own a factory in Van Nuys, and you could own a tower in Los Angeles. 

I want to make at least one film here in Hollywood, I put too much into it to give up. I already have the script ready to go. I can create some good paying jobs for people, while making a dream come true for me. And California needs more dreamers like me to create jobs here. 

Salute,

Tony V.

I saw on my tv last night...the construction of Trump Tower in Chicago.
Not steel frame like other skyscrapers...but all concrete...as it's in 'tornado alley' and would sway too much and collapse in strong winds if it had a steel frame.
The host said that it's been decades since Chicago was hit by an F5 tornado...so one was about due.

I went off skyscrapers after "Towering Inferno"...and my mindset was reinforced by 9/11.

I had just watched "World Trade Center" movie last night...when flicking channels, the Trump Tower doco appeared.

bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15965 on: February 25, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »

On my radio this morning [now 8.46 am Mon] the host listed the stats for gun deaths in America...30,000 per annum.

30,000 people killed by guns, guns fired by human beings.
Way too many.

Deaths of people shot dead by cops legitimately,aside... What is an acceptable number?
Zero.
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15966 on: February 25, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »

Bambu, Banks...Aren't all salutes "one armed"?  Must mean one fingered salute.  

I took it to mean a Nazi salute to 'far far right petition guy at table Adolph'.
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15967 on: February 25, 2018, 05:19:02 PM »

I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me.

Adam Lanza’s mother didn’t get HER GUNS out of the house before he killed her with her own weapon and then went to the school.

And when Lanza arrived at the school...had there been proper security...physical [incl electronic, fenced, walleds, locked etc] barriers, he would've killed... no one. doors
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15968 on: February 25, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »

Bambu, Banks...Aren't all salutes "one armed"?  Must mean one fingered salute.  

I took it to mean a Nazi salute to 'far far right petition guy at table Adolph'.

For whatever reason it seems the name Adolph evokes specific imagery.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15969 on: February 25, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »

There is a myth that hard working middle class Americans pay taxes to support the illegal immigrants. Some people are trying to turn the poor working people against the illegal immigrants by telling the poor working people that their hard earned tax money is going to help illegals....

"Undocumented immigrants do not qualify for welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and most other public benefits. Most of these programs require proof of legal immigration status and under the 1996 welfare law, even legal immigrants cannot receive these benefits until they have been in the United States for more than five years."

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/immigration-myths/index.html

It is a myth. The illegal immigrants come here to work. And the illegals pay sales tax, etc.

We need to do like President Reagan did, and we need to make the immigrants legal, so that we can bring them out of the shadows so that they can legally work and pay taxes, and join labor unions, etc, and so that they can call the police in the case of an emergency, etc. We need to make all of the immigrants legal like Reagan did, and we need to create a special "GOOD NEIGHBOR" policy for our good neighbors Canada and Mexico, and we need to allow Canadians and Mexicans to legally live and work in the USA, and we need to allow them to go to school here, etc, and then we need to have a special path to citizenship for them.

Also of note is that Mexico is California's number one trade partner, Mexico helps the economy of California, that is why California has the sixth leading economy in the world all by itself. California is as wealthy as France, all alone. We need to work together with our good neighbors, and we do not need any walls.

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:11:20 PM by FlyingVProd » Logged
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15970 on: February 25, 2018, 06:09:38 PM »

Our nation always has responded angrily to black people protesting for equality...

https://theundefeated.com/features/black-14-tony-mcgee-protest-kicked-out-of-wyoming-still-made-it-to-super-bowl/
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15971 on: February 25, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »

Oh, no!  What WILL they do now?
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15972 on: February 25, 2018, 06:26:07 PM »

There is a myth that hard working middle class Americans pay taxes to support the illegal immigrants. Some people are trying to turn the poor working people against the illegal immigrants by telling the poor working people that their hard earned tax money is going to help illegals....

"Undocumented immigrants do not qualify for welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and most other public benefits. Most of these programs require proof of legal immigration status and under the 1996 welfare law, even legal immigrants cannot receive these benefits until they have been in the United States for more than five years."

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/immigration-myths/index.html

It is a myth. The illegal immigrants come here to work. And the illegals pay sales tax, etc.

We need to do like President Reagan did, and we need to make the immigrants legal, so that we can bring them out of the shadows so that they can legally work and pay taxes, and join labor unions, etc, and so that they can call the police in the case of an emergency, etc. We need to make all of the immigrants legal like Reagan did, and we need to create a special "GOOD NEIGHBOR" policy for our good neighbors Canada and Mexico, and we need to allow Canadians and Mexicans to legally live and work in the USA, and we need to allow them to go to school here, etc, and then we need to have a special path to citizenship for them.

Also of note is that Mexico is California's number one trade partner, Mexico helps the economy of California, that is why California has the sixth leading economy in the world all by itself. California is as wealthy as France, all alone. We need to work together with our good neighbors, and we do not need any walls.

Salute,

Tony V.

Instead of being angry with the Mexicans for coming to California to pick strawberries, etc, the poor middle class Americans need to be angry with companies for sending all of the jobs to China, to take advantage of communist slave labor. Many American companies have no loyalty to Americans, they only care about money and the bottom line. It is time for Americans to turn their anger where it should be turned. 

It reminds me of the Civil War, when the wealthy slave-owners in the South duped the poor Southerners into fighting the war for them, by telling them that it was about state's rights and stuff instead of being about slavery. It was about slavery, and the poor white Southerners should have told the wealthy slave-owners to pound sand. 

Salute, 

Tony V.
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15973 on: February 25, 2018, 06:38:21 PM »

Our nation always has responded angrily to black people protesting for equality...

https://theundefeated.com/features/black-14-tony-mcgee-protest-kicked-out-of-wyoming-still-made-it-to-super-bowl/

There once was segregation etc.
White People in Congress or state legislatures ended it, having listened to the voices of Black People.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15974 on: February 25, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »

No. None.

Seems like a suit is pointless.
As was most of the rest of your response.

Which you didn't include or reply to its specific points, so I have to conclude you lack a counterargument or coherent alternative idea.  Let me know when the synapses start firing and you think of one.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1430
  Print  

Jump to: