Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 05:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1414
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 152517 times)
whiskeypriest and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15975 on: February 25, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »

L.A. County Homeless Population Continues to Grow Despite Billions From Tax Measures
POSTED 6:32 AM, FEBRUARY 19, 2018, BY LOS ANGELES TIMES

http://ktla.com/2018/02/19/l-a-county-homeless-population-continues-to-grow-despite-billions-from-tax-measures/

----------------

It is a crisis.

New high rises are being built in many areas, and extreme high density housing areas are the answer for many places. Many places are zoning for high density. Crystal City, in Virginia, is an example of a successful extreme high density community. New high rise buildings are being built in Los Angeles, and new planning is happening, to create more high density housing in Los Angeles, and in Anaheim they are building the Platinum Triangle community, etc.

Of note, is that many homeless people are hard workers who have jobs and whom still cannot afford housing. Nurses, chefs, and other hard workers, need to be able to afford housing, so there is a need for affordable one and two bedroom units, and the unions need to help get the wages up so that the workers can afford housing. 

We also need to bring the jobs back, such as bringing the automobile industry back to Van Nuys, we can manufacture electric cars in Van Nuys, etc, etc, etc. People need jobs, we need to bring the jobs back. We also need to do more to bring the entertainment industry jobs back to Los Angeles, as many entertainment industry jobs are being lost to Canada, etc.

Also, our high speed trains will help our economy by attracting more tourists to California, etc, we need to get our high speed trains built. We also need to build a high speed train between Anaheim and Las Vegas.

We need housing, and we need jobs.

Salute,

Tony V.

If you ever wanted to own your own apartment building, now is a great time. You could own a tower like Trump. You could own a factory in Van Nuys, and you could own a tower in Los Angeles. 

I want to make at least one film here in Hollywood, I put too much into it to give up. I already have the script ready to go. I can create some good paying jobs for people, while making a dream come true for me. And California needs more dreamers like me to create jobs here. 

Salute,

Tony V.

I saw on my tv last night...the construction of Trump Tower in Chicago.
Not steel frame like other skyscrapers...but all concrete...as it's in 'tornado alley' and would sway too much and collapse in strong winds if it had a steel frame.
The host said that it's been decades since Chicago was hit by an F5 tornado...so one was about due.

I went off skyscrapers after "Towering Inferno"...and my mindset was reinforced by 9/11.

I had just watched "World Trade Center" movie last night...when flicking channels, the Trump Tower doco appeared.

Bambu,

It is very important to make sure that people spend the money and time to make safe towers, and we must have very strict building codes, etc. The Chinese are building towers in Los Angeles, and we need to make sure that they do not cut any corners. California has earthquakes, and we need to make sure that the towers are safe.

They are getting ready to build more towers in the Platinum Triangle too, in Anaheim, we need to have strict building codes for the towers.

Salute,

Tony V.
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15976 on: February 25, 2018, 08:03:15 PM »

In the short-term there is probably minimal economic pressure.

But its a form of moral suasion that could lead to a lessening of the NRA's political influence.

If large US corporations (typical seen as more R-leaning than D) are seen backing away from the NRA and its inflammatory rhetoric, politicians may sense a change in the political climate and forgo blood money.

I think its just possible NRA political contributions may be seen as blood-red scarlet letters in '18.  
this is another way to put economic pressure on the nra:"United Airlines and Delta are cutting ties with the National Rifle Association, the latest in major companies to do so following the deadly shooting at a Florida high school earlier this month.
How is that “ economic pressure” on the NRA?

destabilizing the "normalcy" of such an organization can have a lasting impact on its function.

i think that you are right to say that their monetized influence is lessened, already, and has the potential to continue to spiral downwardly.

Wanna try again?
evvie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15977 on: February 25, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »

But its a form of moral suasion that could lead to a lessening of the NRA's political influence.

If large US corporations (typical seen as more R-leaning than D) are seen backing away from the NRA and its inflammatory rhetoric, politicians may sense a change in the political climate and forgo blood money.

I think its just possible NRA political contributions may be seen as blood-red scarlet letters in '18.  
this is another way to put economic pressure on the nra:"United Airlines and Delta are cutting ties with the National Rifle Association, the latest in major companies to do so following the deadly shooting at a Florida high school earlier this month.

destabilizing the "normalcy" of such an organization can have a lasting impact on its function.

i think that you are right to say that their monetized influence is lessened, already, and has the potential to continue to spiral downwardly.

Wanna try again?

Mr. Ward, it's obvious that you disagree with something that was said, but I am having a hard time determining what that is.

Would it be possible for you to be less cryptic in your responses?

Thank you.
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15978 on: February 25, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »

Do any of you think there is merit to these suits?

I don't mean in the arguments for why a different system would be better, but in the suits themselves - a reason for why one of them might win?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/winner-take-all_electoral_college_system_is_unconstitutional_say_suits_by_b/
No. None.

Seems like a suit is pointless.
As was most of the rest of your response.

Which you didn't include or reply to its specific points, so I have to conclude you lack a counterargument or coherent alternative idea.  Let me know when the synapses start firing and you think of one.

If anything the 2016 election only strengthens the arguments for the Electoral College.
In his two successful elections Obama carried 28 and 26 states building on the democrat stronghold on each coast by taking key interior states.
Hillary only won 20 and won the popular vote thanks to California a state that is a dem stronghold with the advantage of no statewide race with a GOP candidate in 2016.
Hillary lost by blowing off blue stalwart Michigan and a few more midwestern states and Florida...all carried by Obama. You want to be President you better have a message for more than just your base. Oh, and dont demean those who disagree with you by calling them deplorable.
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15979 on: February 25, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »

Wanna try again?

Mr. Ward, it's obvious that you disagree with something that was said, but I am having a hard time determining what that is.

Thank you.
What “economic pressure” was put on the NRA by Companies ending credit card discounts for NRA members traveling to the group’s annual meeting?
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15980 on: February 25, 2018, 09:02:31 PM »

L.A. County Homeless Population Continues to Grow Despite Billions From Tax Measures
POSTED 6:32 AM, FEBRUARY 19, 2018, BY LOS ANGELES TIMES

http://ktla.com/2018/02/19/l-a-county-homeless-population-continues-to-grow-despite-billions-from-tax-measures/

----------------

It is a crisis.

New high rises are being built in many areas, and extreme high density housing areas are the answer for many places. Many places are zoning for high density. Crystal City, in Virginia, is an example of a successful extreme high density community. New high rise buildings are being built in Los Angeles, and new planning is happening, to create more high density housing in Los Angeles, and in Anaheim they are building the Platinum Triangle community, etc.

Of note, is that many homeless people are hard workers who have jobs and whom still cannot afford housing. Nurses, chefs, and other hard workers, need to be able to afford housing, so there is a need for affordable one and two bedroom units, and the unions need to help get the wages up so that the workers can afford housing. 

We also need to bring the jobs back, such as bringing the automobile industry back to Van Nuys, we can manufacture electric cars in Van Nuys, etc, etc, etc. People need jobs, we need to bring the jobs back. We also need to do more to bring the entertainment industry jobs back to Los Angeles, as many entertainment industry jobs are being lost to Canada, etc.

Also, our high speed trains will help our economy by attracting more tourists to California, etc, we need to get our high speed trains built. We also need to build a high speed train between Anaheim and Las Vegas.

We need housing, and we need jobs.

Salute,

Tony V.

If you ever wanted to own your own apartment building, now is a great time. You could own a tower like Trump. You could own a factory in Van Nuys, and you could own a tower in Los Angeles. 

I want to make at least one film here in Hollywood, I put too much into it to give up. I already have the script ready to go. I can create some good paying jobs for people, while making a dream come true for me. And California needs more dreamers like me to create jobs here. 

Salute,

Tony V.

I saw on my tv last night...the construction of Trump Tower in Chicago.
Not steel frame like other skyscrapers...but all concrete...as it's in 'tornado alley' and would sway too much and collapse in strong winds if it had a steel frame.
The host said that it's been decades since Chicago was hit by an F5 tornado...so one was about due.

I went off skyscrapers after "Towering Inferno"...and my mindset was reinforced by 9/11.

I had just watched "World Trade Center" movie last night...when flicking channels, the Trump Tower doco appeared.

Bambu,

It is very important to make sure that people spend the money and time to make safe towers, and we must have very strict building codes, etc. The Chinese are building towers in Los Angeles, and we need to make sure that they do not cut any corners. California has earthquakes, and we need to make sure that the towers are safe.

They are getting ready to build more towers in the Platinum Triangle too, in Anaheim, we need to have strict building codes for the towers.

Salute,

Tony V.

Indeed.
Trump Tower Chicago is built on a narrower than is usual base.
Not too sure I'm convinced even though it all sounded sweet in the doco.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15981 on: February 25, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »

Wanna try again?

Thank you.

If you dont comprehend it, just let it pass

Best for the forum.
facilitatorn
Superhero Member

remember when the knicks were fun?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15982 on: February 25, 2018, 11:23:16 PM »

Red’s a believer that the south will rise again. Best to hope he is wrong and then work like hell to see him disappointed.

Kid has this somewhere in in catechism so it all makes some sort of sense to him.

Their hero, their party, Faux, and the NRA are stronger than 97% - 3% issues and 87% - 13% issues. No need to turn the boat! It’s got the best hull that man could devise!

Meanwhile, Mr. Cheddar Dumplings is killing it, soaring in CNN’s latest poll to 35% approve and 58% disapprove. A clear vision and policy chops unifying support in the country. Productive year 1 of the Charlie Sheen presidency.

Into the shattered ruins stepped the Don
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15983 on: February 26, 2018, 12:34:39 AM »

Wanna try again?

Thank you.

If you dont comprehend it, just let it pass

Best for the forum.

A request for clarification in a political discussion is entirely legitimate. 

Grownups are talking now, Kid. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15984 on: February 26, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »

I don't mean in the arguments for why a different system would be better, but in the suits themselves - a reason for why one of them might win?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/winner-take-all_electoral_college_system_is_unconstitutional_say_suits_by_b/
No. None.

Which you didn't include or reply to its specific points, so I have to conclude you lack a counterargument or coherent alternative idea.  Let me know when the synapses start firing and you think of one.

If anything the 2016 election only strengthens the arguments for the Electoral College.
In his two successful elections Obama carried 28 and 26 states building on the democrat stronghold on each coast by taking key interior states.
Hillary only won 20 and won the popular vote thanks to California a state that is a dem stronghold with the advantage of no statewide race with a GOP candidate in 2016.
Hillary lost by blowing off blue stalwart Michigan and a few more midwestern states and Florida...all carried by Obama. You want to be President you better have a message for more than just your base. Oh, and dont demean those who disagree with you by calling them deplorable.

Well,  California did not vote, did it? She won the popular vote because more people voted for her, and since California is the most populous state and fairly liberal many of those people live there. What Clinton lost was the vote of livestock and arable land. Why we favor random geographic boundaries over actual people is the issue.

The people.Clinton called.deplorable.were racists, sexist, homophobes, Isalamaphobes and xenophobies. If you think she called you deplorable, which of those things are you?

Also, which of those things do you think we shouldn't deplore?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:56:27 AM by whiskeypriest » Logged

What does it matter?  All is grace.
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15985 on: February 26, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »

No. None.

Which you didn't include or reply to its specific points, so I have to conclude you lack a counterargument or coherent alternative idea.  Let me know when the synapses start firing and you think of one.

Well,  California did not vote, did it? She won the popular vote because more people voted for her, and since California is the most populous state and fairly liberal many of those people live there. What Clinton lost was the vote of livestock and arable land. Why we favor random geographic boundaries over actual people is the issue.
there is nothing random about borders. What is amazing is the democrats only pay attention to the people that agree with them.  The Electoral  College is not kind to that kind of thinking.
The people.Clinton called.deplorable.were racists, sexist, homophobes, Isalamaphobes and xenophobies. If you think she called you deplorable, which of those things are you?

In other words you are as deplorable as she is.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15986 on: February 26, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »

No. None.

Come on man - dont you see it?

What the Dems need to do is "pay" their people to relocate from Cali to the red states.

So simple..
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15987 on: February 26, 2018, 08:59:37 AM »

The question is  - how do you define those terms?
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15988 on: February 26, 2018, 09:13:15 AM »

---California Democrats Decline To Endorse Dianne Feinstein For Re-Election---

Yes dump her and Pelosi for younger voices who have broader national appeal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-democrats-decline-endorse-dianne-162631877.html
NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15989 on: February 26, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »

Wanna try again?

Thank you.
What “economic pressure” was put on the NRA by Companies ending credit card discounts for NRA members traveling to the group’s annual meeting?

It’s deeper than that, slick. Much deeper.

https://www.axios.com/corporate-america-flexes-against-guns-1519482689-612f054b-6ea4-487b-b7fe-7bd36db6b446.html

Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1414
  Print  

Jump to: