Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 20, 2018, 08:38:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1424
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 153659 times)
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16005 on: February 26, 2018, 11:53:44 AM »

lying about Healthcare?

Yes, lying about Healthcare. 

When talking about Obamacare the collective democrats’ nose dwarfs the one belonging to Pinocchio.
As for opioids
https://www.statnews.com/2016/11/23/medicaid-opioid-limits/

NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16006 on: February 26, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »

When talking about Obamacare the collective democrats’ nose dwarfs the one belonging to Pinocchio.

Whatever that means, my point remains.  Trump lied about his commitments to maintaining people’s access to health insurance.  One of many lies he told while campaigning as a populist champion of the middle class, increasing his appeal in, for example, Rust Belt states.

This is good news and a good article.  If you think this rebuts my post, you should actually read it.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16007 on: February 26, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »

yep, that is what msnbc cited, with others, while not including the Rasmussen poll.
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16008 on: February 26, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »

Trump is trending down in multiple polls compared to where he was earlier in February, while one poll (which characteristically overstates his popularity compared to the others) has not registered that trend.

This is far different from claiming "Trump trends UP" as you did.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16009 on: February 26, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »

Do any of you think there is merit to these suits?

I don't mean in the arguments for why a different system would be better, but in the suits themselves - a reason for why one of them might win?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/winner-take-all_electoral_college_system_is_unconstitutional_say_suits_by_b/
No. None.

Seems like a suit is pointless.
As was most of the rest of your response.

Which you didn't include or reply to its specific points, so I have to conclude you lack a counterargument or coherent alternative idea.  Let me know when the synapses start firing and you think of one.

If anything the 2016 election only strengthens the arguments for the Electoral College.
In his two successful elections Obama carried 28 and 26 states building on the democrat stronghold on each coast by taking key interior states.
Hillary only won 20 and won the popular vote thanks to California a state that is a dem stronghold with the advantage of no statewide race with a GOP candidate in 2016.
Hillary lost by blowing off blue stalwart Michigan and a few more midwestern states and Florida...all carried by Obama. You want to be President you better have a message for more than just your base. Oh, and dont demean those who disagree with you by calling them deplorable.

Well,  California did not vote, did it? She won the popular vote because more people voted for her, and since California is the most populous state and fairly liberal many of those people live there. What Clinton lost was the vote of livestock and arable land. Why we favor random geographic boundaries over actual people is the issue.
there is nothing random about borders. What is amazing is the democrats only pay attention to the people that agree with them.  The Electoral  College is not kind to that kind of thinking.
I am reminded of the old joke about a.peace treaty between Russia and Poland. A group of surveyors and military officers from both countries.were setting the border when they came to a farm that straddled both sides of the proposed border in equal parts. The surveyors and officers had agreed that any farm should not be divided between countries, but this farm, being equally divided, caused problems. They debated for some time without coming to any conclusion, when one of the surveyors said, let's ask the farmer which country he wants to be in.

So they knock on the farm door and out comes the farmer, a Russiaan man who does not speak or understand Polish. Sir, the ranking Russian officer confidently asked after.explaining the situation, do you want your farm to be in Russia or Poland? Without hesitation the farmer.answers, Poland.

The Russian officer is stunned. Poland? He asks, why Poland? You are Russian, your ancestors are Russian, you speak only Russian, your family speaks only Russian! Why Poland?

Well, the farmer replies, you see the Russian winters are just so cold.
The people.Clinton called.deplorable.were racists, sexist, homophobes, Isalamaphobes and xenophobies. If you think she called you deplorable, which of those things are you?

Also, which of those things do you think we shouldn't deplore?
In other words you are as deplorable as she is.

In other words you as usual have no response, and are instead deflecting with a non sequitur. I have no problem calling racists,.sexist, homophobes, Islamaphobes and xenophobies deplorable. Do You?
Judge not, lest ye be judged.
A funny comment given your.post immediately before.

So in other words you support racists,.sexists, homophobes, Islamaphobes and xenophobies.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16010 on: February 26, 2018, 12:07:50 PM »

kid do you ever wonder if Trump weren't riding the wave of the ongoing Obama recovery, where his approval rating, already scraping lows, might be?

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16011 on: February 26, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »

When they made the "Harry Potter" movies, J.K. Rowling said that they could only hire British actors, and they had to shoot the movies in England, from what I understand, she wanted to help the people of her homeland. But, they were allowed to do the Wizzarding World Of Harry Potter at Universal.

I have a script for a film that I helped to write, and I own it, and I decided that my film has to be made here in Hollywood, with American actors. I was contacted early on by a producer in Canada who wanted me to bring my project to Canada, and I told him that my project has to be made here in Hollywood, my script is a Hollywood script. I will shoot it here. I will make films in Italy later on, and stuff, but I want the project that I have now to be shot in Hollywood, and I want to help to create local jobs for Americans.

And other Americans need to do the same thing, when you invent a new product, or write a movie script, or whatever, demand that it be made here in the USA.

People also need to support American jobs by buying products which were made in America.

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:22:46 PM by FlyingVProd » Logged
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16012 on: February 26, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »

Red,

California pop: 39.5 million
Wyoming pop: 585,000

CA electoral: 55
Wyoming:       3

Why does a state with 70 times the population only have 18 times the electoral votes?
Please explain how this apportionment, where a WY vote is worth 4 CA votes, is fair and democratic.

U.S. Constitution - Article 2 Section 1
BTW, Correct apportionment is California has 53 Times the Wyoming electoral vote.
See one-man one vote.
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16013 on: February 26, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »

Whatever that means, my point remains.  Trump lied about his commitments to maintaining people’s access to health insurance.  One of many lies he told while campaigning as a populist champion of the middle class, increasing his appeal in, for example, Rust Belt states.

This is good news and a good article.  If you think this rebuts my post, you should actually read it.

I do and I did or wouldn’t have posted it.
REDSTATEWARD
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16014 on: February 26, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »

Do any of you think there is merit to these suits?

I don't mean in the arguments for why a different system would be better, but in the suits themselves - a reason for why one of them might win?
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/winner-take-all_electoral_college_system_is_unconstitutional_say_suits_by_b/
No. None.

Seems like a suit is pointless.
As was most of the rest of your response.

Which you didn't include or reply to its specific points, so I have to conclude you lack a counterargument or coherent alternative idea.  Let me know when the synapses start firing and you think of one.

If anything the 2016 election only strengthens the arguments for the Electoral College.
In his two successful elections Obama carried 28 and 26 states building on the democrat stronghold on each coast by taking key interior states.
Hillary only won 20 and won the popular vote thanks to California a state that is a dem stronghold with the advantage of no statewide race with a GOP candidate in 2016.
Hillary lost by blowing off blue stalwart Michigan and a few more midwestern states and Florida...all carried by Obama. You want to be President you better have a message for more than just your base. Oh, and dont demean those who disagree with you by calling them deplorable.

Well,  California did not vote, did it? She won the popular vote because more people voted for her, and since California is the most populous state and fairly liberal many of those people live there. What Clinton lost was the vote of livestock and arable land. Why we favor random geographic boundaries over actual people is the issue.
there is nothing random about borders. What is amazing is the democrats only pay attention to the people that agree with them.  The Electoral  College is not kind to that kind of thinking.
I am reminded of the old joke about a.peace treaty between Russia and Poland. A group of surveyors and military officers from both countries.were setting the border when they came to a farm that straddled both sides of the proposed border in equal parts. The surveyors and officers had agreed that any farm should not be divided between countries, but this farm, being equally divided, caused problems. They debated for some time without coming to any conclusion, when one of the surveyors said, let's ask the farmer which country he wants to be in.

So they knock on the farm door and out comes the farmer, a Russiaan man who does not speak or understand Polish. Sir, the ranking Russian officer confidently asked after.explaining the situation, do you want your farm to be in Russia or Poland? Without hesitation the farmer.answers, Poland.

The Russian officer is stunned. Poland? He asks, why Poland? You are Russian, your ancestors are Russian, you speak only Russian, your family speaks only Russian! Why Poland?

Well, the farmer replies, you see the Russian winters are just so cold.
The people.Clinton called.deplorable.were racists, sexist, homophobes, Isalamaphobes and xenophobies. If you think she called you deplorable, which of those things are you?

Also, which of those things do you think we shouldn't deplore?
In other words you are as deplorable as she is.

In other words you as usual have no response, and are instead deflecting with a non sequitur. I have no problem calling racists,.sexist, homophobes, Islamaphobes and xenophobies deplorable. Do You?
Judge not, lest ye be judged.
A funny comment given your.post immediately before.

So in other words you support racists,.sexists, homophobes, Islamaphobes and xenophobies.
English must be a second language for you.
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16015 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »

Red,

California pop: 39.5 million
Wyoming pop: 585,000

CA electoral: 55
Wyoming:       3

Why does a state with 70 times the population only have 18 times the electoral votes?
Please explain how this apportionment, where a WY vote is worth 4 CA votes, is fair and democratic.

U.S. Constitution - Article 2 Section 1
BTW, Correct apportionment is California has 53 Times the Wyoming electoral vote.
See one-man one vote.

Without the Electoral College Republicans would have won only one national election in the last 30 years, so he knows it has to be a good thing.
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16016 on: February 26, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »

So you think an article that points to the trend of increased opioid use starting in the late 90's supports your claim that Obamacare is to blame?

Then you point to others having trouble with the English language?

You and Trump deserve each other.
LesMiserables

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16017 on: February 26, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »

In the short-term there is probably minimal economic pressure.

But its a form of moral suasion that could lead to a lessening of the NRA's political influence.

If large US corporations (typical seen as more R-leaning than D) are seen backing away from the NRA and its inflammatory rhetoric, politicians may sense a change in the political climate and forgo blood money.

I think its just possible NRA political contributions may be seen as blood-red scarlet letters in '18.  
this is another way to put economic pressure on the nra:"United Airlines and Delta are cutting ties with the National Rifle Association, the latest in major companies to do so following the deadly shooting at a Florida high school earlier this month.
How is that “ economic pressure” on the NRA?

destabilizing the "normalcy" of such an organization can have a lasting impact on its function.

i think that you are right to say that their monetized influence is lessened, already, and has the potential to continue to spiral downwardly.

Wanna try again?

Mr. Ward, it's obvious that you disagree with something that was said, but I am having a hard time determining what that is.

Would it be possible for you to be less cryptic in your responses?

Thank you.
What “economic pressure” was put on the NRA by Companies ending credit card discounts for NRA members traveling to the group’s annual meeting?

the NRA is made up of members, and those members are now losing economic benefits of being a member of the NRA, so it stands to follow that the group is weaker. also, when pols see that other groups they may be beholding to (like the banks who run those credit cards) are taking a stand against the NRA, it likely makes it harder for them to be held hostage by the NRA scorekeepers.

i hope this helps you grasp the bigger picture here
NRA membership fluctuates with perceived threats to its goals.  It goes down when Washington is  not rattling sabres, and rises(sometimes in great numbers) when Washington starts talking about gun legislation.

http://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/florida-gun-show-sees-record-number-of-attendees-amid-gun-control-debate/67-523267641

But at $30-40 a year the membership rate is low but full of perks such as discounts on gun safety training courses, magazines, and, of course, gun purchases.  The foregoing of airline ticket discounts to attend the annual meeting, or other credit card perks, is insignificant to threaten membership numbers. Obviously the intent of such moves is to boost the image of the credit card issuers in the eyes of potential new customers.

maybe. maybe not. time will tell.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16018 on: February 26, 2018, 12:31:51 PM »

lying about Healthcare?

Yes, lying about Healthcare.  As in, claiming that you have a replacement for Obamacare that will "cover everybody" at less cost, then supporting a plan from Congress that would throw 30 million people off of their insurance, more than those who gained it via the program he wanted to repeal.  That lying.

As for the rest, read up:

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2017/oct/23/matt-gaetz/no-evidence-prove-medicaid-expansion-fueling-opioi/

I always find the Death Panelists saying Obama lied because he gave an accurate but limited  decription of the ACA's Grandfather Clause sadly funny.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16019 on: February 26, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »

English must be a second language for you.

Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1424
  Print  

Jump to: