Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 12:03:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1419
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 152987 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16335 on: March 01, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »

"Keep Hope alive and safe in a witness protection plan" might be a way to go.

A corrupt mobster, a beautiful young heroine on the run from his team of hit men, aided by a handsome-but-bit-of-a-maverick  federal agent...would make a great movie!

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16336 on: March 01, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »

As much as I appreciate Ms Hicks, I am a bit disappointed in her today.

What has she done to earn your disapproval, Mr. Carter?

Colored her hair.

I like our newbies.  And would ask you treat them with a modicum of respect.  It was a legitimate question, which deserves better than your snideness.

NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16337 on: March 01, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

It is just possible that he is holding on because he respects the independence of the DoJ and knows who ever Trump chooses would get the job on the promise to undermine it.
Hmmmmm……Jeff Sessions? Well, anything is possible….A fusion drive is supposedly possible….

Yeah, doesn't sound like Sessions to me either.

I think he is in it for the immigrant bashing.
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16338 on: March 01, 2018, 10:10:49 AM »

Well said.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/968999880755736576

NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16339 on: March 01, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »

Gun sales have gone down $100 million since President Blackenstein left office. This and arming teachers is just a way to goose a stagnant market (regulations! The slippery slope) and creating an artificial market sustained by municipal funding through tax payer dollars.
LesMiserables

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16340 on: March 01, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »

As much as I appreciate Ms Hicks, I am a bit disappointed in her today.

yes, obstructing justice is disappointing.
LesMiserables

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16341 on: March 01, 2018, 11:28:24 AM »

It is just possible that he is holding on because he respects the independence of the DoJ and knows who ever Trump chooses would get the job on the promise to undermine it.
Hmmmmm……Jeff Sessions? Well, anything is possible….A fusion drive is supposedly possible….

word is that trump calls sessions "mr. magoo". so anything is possible, it would seem.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:31:49 AM by LesMiserables » Logged
LesMiserables

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16342 on: March 01, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »

nbc has a very good report on how the nra killed off gun congress last time, and it is worth reading so you understand how they are already at work with trying to make sure that children keep getting killed:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/how-nra-undercut-last-big-gun-reform-effort-n852176

After a gunman wielding several semi-automatic firearms killed 20 first graders and 6 educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, in late 2012, lawmakers believed they had the best opportunity in a generation to overhaul gun laws.

With President Barack Obama’s support, Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., began working with the most senior leadership within the NRA on legislative options. He also brought aboard a Republican co-sponsor, Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, for a bill to tighten background checks for gun purchases.

Despite the Sandy Hook tragedy, the NRA’s chief lobbyists Chris Cox, David Lehman and James Baker, ultimately opposed the final package — even after they scored so many concessions in the legislation that a number of gun show owners, among the NRA’s fiercest allies, privately urged the gun lobby to close the deal.

Thanks to the NRA’s lobbying efforts, the Manchin-Toomey bill, which had originated as a gun safety measure, ended up offering more sweeteners than burdensome regulations to the gun industry, with some gun show operators particularly enthused about it. That’s according to interviews with representatives and aides involved in the process who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

to understand more about how the nra pays to smear politicians with its war on children remaining in tact: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/02/15/52-senators-have-an-a-minus-nra-rating-or-higher-including-four-democrats/?utm_term=.669e3435b605

Only two other Republicans have grades below an A: Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz) and Susan Collins (R-Maine). Both supported the Toomey-Manchin bill. But neither paid a political price for that support. Each was reelected after that vote.

Note the disparity here. Four Democrats have A-minus grades or higher; only three Republicans (of 51) are below that mark. Only two blue-state Republicans — Sens. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) and Dean Heller (R-Nev.) — have A ratings.

Whatever the cause (and it probably isn’t solely campaign contributions), the NRA has an institutional advantage in the Senate over its Democratic opponents. That helped kill reforms in 2013, and it’s a big reason why nothing else of significance has moved forward since.

NYKnicks12
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16343 on: March 01, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »

Since the end of Reconstruction every gain made by black people in America has been met with a “blacklash” that resets the bar... ergo, Trump.

At the time of the Kerner Commission, there were about 200,000 people behind bars. Today, there are about 1.4 million. “Zero tolerance” policing aimed at African-Americans and Latinos has failed, while our sentencing policies (for example, on crack versus powder cocaine) continue to racially discriminate. Mass incarceration has become a kind of housing policy for the poor.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/28/opinion/the-unmet-promise-of-equality.html
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16344 on: March 01, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »

This is why I don't bother to read The Onion much anymore.....

SADDLEBROOKE, Ariz. — Each of the Republicans running for Senate in Arizona this year claims a special bond with President Trump, but only one describes it as a supernatural connection beyond rational explanation.

“I can read his mind without even talking to him. I think he may be reading mine,” said the former Maricopa County sheriff, Joe Arpaio. “Is there something that goes through the airwaves? Mental telepathy?”
  -- Washington Post, 3/1/18

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16345 on: March 01, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »

nbc has a very good report on how the nra killed off gun congress last time, and it is worth reading so you understand how they are already at work with trying to make sure that children keep getting killed....

Les, you will enjoy this statistical analysis, I think.....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/28/rate-of-gun-injuries-drops-20-during-nra-conventions-study-finds

LesMiserables

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16346 on: March 01, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/01/politics/jared-kushner-business-loans-white-house-meetings/index.html

sorry if someone posted this already, but this sure does NOT LOOK LIKE a coincidence:

White House senior adviser Jared Kushner's family real estate group obtained business loans after Kushner met with the company heads in his official government capacity, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

According to the Times, Kushner met with Joshua Harris, one of the founders of Apollo Global Management, on multiple occasions while advising the Trump administration on infrastructure policy, three people familiar with the meetings said.

The topic of a job at the White House was also brought up, though never materialized. In November 2017, Apollo's real estate group lent Kushner Companies $184 million to refinance the mortgage of a Chicago skyscraper. The size of the loan, according to the Times, was triple the size of their average property loan.

i think that "javanka's" days are numbered in the white house.
LesMiserables

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16347 on: March 01, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »

nbc has a very good report on how the nra killed off gun congress last time, and it is worth reading so you understand how they are already at work with trying to make sure that children keep getting killed....

Les, you will enjoy this statistical analysis, I think.....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/28/rate-of-gun-injuries-drops-20-during-nra-conventions-study-finds

seems that if they met more often, fewer people would die. or, if they met less often, maybe more nra members would die.

thanks for the article, barton. it kind of goes to the conversation we had the other day about statistics, data, and their analysis.
NeedsAdjustments
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16348 on: March 01, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/01/politics/jared-kushner-business-loans-white-house-meetings/index.html

sorry if someone posted this already, but this sure does NOT LOOK LIKE a coincidence:

White House senior adviser Jared Kushner's family real estate group obtained business loans after Kushner met with the company heads in his official government capacity, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

According to the Times, Kushner met with Joshua Harris, one of the founders of Apollo Global Management, on multiple occasions while advising the Trump administration on infrastructure policy, three people familiar with the meetings said.

The topic of a job at the White House was also brought up, though never materialized. In November 2017, Apollo's real estate group lent Kushner Companies $184 million to refinance the mortgage of a Chicago skyscraper. The size of the loan, according to the Times, was triple the size of their average property loan.

i think that "javanka's" days are numbered in the white house.

Do the people leaking this stuff from the West Wing realize they are jeopardizing our best chance at peace in the Middle East?
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16349 on: March 01, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »

"I can see by what you carry that you come from Barrytown."
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1419
  Print  

Jump to: