Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 22, 2018, 10:19:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you favor or oppose the legalization of marijuana?
Favor
Oppose
Unsure

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Drugs  (Read 5132 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:57:47 PM »

Discuss the national drug policy.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »

I just got back from Jamaica. 

We took a tour and asked the guide about Marijuana policy.

"No one goes to jail for Marijuana"

what about growers?

"If ya neighbor a stiff-neck and call the police on you, and you is growing nothing but ganja crops, then YES, you're in a likka hot water.Bbut if they come and see some ganja plants but you're also planting the yellow yam, and other crops, they don't mess with you and get angry at your neighbor for causing them the trouble."

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
samiinh

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 02:21:57 PM »

what about growers?

"If ya neighbor a stiff-neck and call the police on you, and you is growing nothing but ganja crops, then YES, you're in a likka hot water.Bbut if they come and see some ganja plants but you're also planting the yellow yam, and other crops, they don't mess with you and get angry at your neighbor for causing them the trouble."

Do they grow good stuff down there?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 02:32:29 PM »

what about growers?

It depends.  On the street you can get "Bush weed" or you can get "High Grade".  Of course, everyone calls what they're selling high grade.  The stuff you can get (as a tourist) is not what Americans expect in terms of high grade stuff.  It has its share of seeds.  Its not perfectly cured.  It may even be a little wet from the humidity in the air (difficult for spliff rolling). Its green and good, but not the kind of hydroponically grown, indoor nugget that is distributed by your local college campus hippie.  This is the herb grown locally on the island outdoors by farmers who want to supplement their income to build houses.  The home lending rate is over 40% so you can't just take out a loan to build your house.  Many homes are built out of pocket over the span of many years.  The nicer homes that sprout quicker are usually the home of a farmer who was taken to growing the Marijuana plant.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
samiinh

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »

what about growers?

It depends.  On the street you can get "Bush weed" or you can get "High Grade".  Of course, everyone calls what they're selling high grade.  The stuff you can get (as a tourist) is not what Americans expect in terms of high grade stuff.  It has its share of seeds.  Its not perfectly cured.  It may even be a little wet from the humidity in the air (difficult for spliff rolling). Its green and good, but not the kind of hydroponically grown, indoor nugget that is distributed by your local college campus hippie.  This is the herb grown locally on the island outdoors by farmers who want to supplement their income to build houses.  The home lending rate is over 40% so you can't just take out a loan to build your house.  Many homes are built out of pocket over the span of many years.  The nicer homes that sprout quicker are usually the home of a farmer who was taken to growing the Marijuana plant.

I suppose that might also be the case for some farmers in America as well.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »

what about growers?

In Mexico maybe but I don't think so here.

I doubt any of the "professional" grow operations are done by farmers, at least outdoors.  Most of the "high grade" that is consumed in the NorthEast comes from Canadian indoor hidden greenhouses.  Some is grown domestically, but again mostly indoors (thats why we don't find too many seeds) and on a much smaller scale due to the surveillance that the "War on Drugs" has brought on in America.

-Dave Attell
samiinh

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 06:39:19 PM »

what about growers?

In Mexico maybe but I don't think so here.

I doubt any of the "professional" grow operations are done by farmers, at least outdoors.  Most of the "high grade" that is consumed in the NorthEast comes from Canadian indoor hidden greenhouses.  Some is grown domestically, but again mostly indoors (thats why we don't find too many seeds) and on a much smaller scale due to the surveillance that the "War on Drugs" has brought on in America.

I have friends with a large farm and they grow a few plants each year for their own comsumption.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »

The War on Drugs claims a few more lives.

ATLANTA (April 26) -- Two police officers pleaded guilty Thursday to federal and state charges, including manslaughter, in the death of a 92-year-old woman during a botched drug raid in which 39 gunshots were fired into her home and marijuana was planted there to cover up the crime.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/two-cops-plead-guilty-in-fatal-shooting/20070426093309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

-Dave Attell
samiinh

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 05:53:00 AM »

The War on Drugs claims a few more lives.

ATLANTA (April 26) -- Two police officers pleaded guilty Thursday to federal and state charges, including manslaughter, in the death of a 92-year-old woman during a botched drug raid in which 39 gunshots were fired into her home and marijuana was planted there to cover up the crime.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/two-cops-plead-guilty-in-fatal-shooting/20070426093309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Thank  you for this story.
samiinh

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 08:10:13 PM »

Former President Bill Clinton announced agreements with drug companies Tuesday to lower the price in the developing world of AIDS drugs resistant to initial treatments and to make a once-a-day AIDS pill available for less than $1 a day.

Good for Clinton.  The Clintons are great, civic minded people.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »

$1 a day sounds good, til i remember in developing countries you might be lucky to pull down $30 a week to feed your family.  Still..  progress it would seem.

-Dave Attell
samiinh

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:50 PM »

$1 a day sounds good, til i remember in developing countries you might be lucky to pull down $30 a week to feed your family.  Still..  progress it would seem.

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe that most of these drugs are paid for through grants and donations from charities like the Gates Foundation.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 09:01:45 PM »

Do we actually have one?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
samiinh

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 12:42:47 PM »

Do we actually have one?

Sure, sell more.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 09:15:27 AM »

Most of the "high grade" that is consumed in the NorthEast comes from Canadian indoor hidden greenhouses.

kam;
 Wow. You seem to be very well-informed about this marijuana subject. Of personal interest to you or just part of your 'casual' reading?

note: Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been employed by the federal government. Please answer as you see fit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: