Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 24, 2018, 08:49:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you favor or oppose the legalization of marijuana?
Favor
Oppose
Unsure

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Drugs  (Read 4072 times)
playa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »

Out of sheer curiousity, what is the germ or virus that causes Bipolar Depression, a mental "disease" which can be mitigated by the correct cocktail of drugs?

Yes, I know that folks have maintained their were "spiritual" cures for depression and other mental illnesses, but I have never, ever, heard someone claim that schizophrenia was ever cured spiritually. Depression, like addiction, can go away on its own without obvious treatment, or can require contant treatments for lengthy periods of time.

If drugs and alcohol are a disease it's the only one contacted by an act of your will.

If drugs and alcohol are a disease it's the only disease that's habit forming.

If drugs and alcohol are a disease it's the only disease spread thru advertising.

My point was if you go to a rehab center this is what catergorythey put drugs and alcohol addiction in.'

I'm talking drugs and alcohol. Wink

You are redundant.

And, to reiterate, addiction is the disease.

And gambling can also be addictive, is also encouraged (but not spread) by advertising, and is also contracted by an act of one's will.

Sexually transmitted diseases are also encouraged by advertising and are contracted by an act of one's will.

You are not comprehending the thread, we are talking about drugs.

All you know is what you've learned, what you've learned is not all you need to know.
                              Dr Myles Munroe
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »

it's the only disease

No it isn't
[/quote]

[/quote]

I get the thread - But overstatements are still overstatements. And misstatements are still misstatements.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
playa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »

[/quote]

I get the thread - But overstatements are still overstatements. And misstatements are still misstatements.
[/quote]

Ok Josh you are correct on the overstatements.

All you know is what you've learned, what you've learned is not all you need to know.
                              Dr Myles Munroe
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »

I know people who have become addicted to the medications that they were being given by their physicians.

They still have the addiction, even though they are not criminal, were not seeking illicit pleasures, etc. It was not advertising that caught them. It was not an act of will.

The disease of addiction is still there.

The spiritual approach has worked for some people. It does not work for all.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »

This drug war has got to be stopped now. Sick.

http://reason.com/blog/show/125297.html
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2008, 05:50:20 PM »

From John McCain's website...

John McCain has been a leader in pushing legislation through Congress that requires all schools and libraries receiving federal subsidies for Internet connectivity to utilize technology to restrict access to sexually explicit material by children using such computers. While the first line of defense for children will always be strong and involved parents, when they send their child to school or drop their child off at the library, parents have the right to feel safe that someone is going to be looking out for their children.

Is it safe to assume that a child won't be strip searched? Are you really looking out for the children Senator McCain?
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »

Senator Obama on the drug war.

Obama believes the disparity between sentencing crack and powder-based cocaine is wrong and should be completely eliminated.

Obama will give first-time, non-violent offenders a chance to serve their sentence, where appropriate, in the type of drug rehabilitation programs that have proven to work better than a prison term in changing bad behavior.

Nothing about children being fucking molested by school nurses.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2008, 05:53:48 PM »

Senator Clinton on the drug war.

?
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »

Some cops get in on the action as well.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=668448

You and your children belong to the State.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2008, 08:47:24 PM »

All your drugs are belong to us.

Hey, good to see so many NYT refugees here. Grin

Now, let's get down to the business of winning that war on drugs so we can declare war on some other...  substance.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2008, 08:33:53 AM »

Yeah, like a war on jokes. Or of jokes.

http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/47941.html
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2008, 03:29:53 PM »

Wow. Seems apparent from that video that we should be making every effort to saturate those Talibangers and other towelheaded terrorists with LSD, rather than killing them.

Of course the effect shown might be specific to Brits, given the ... uh... nature of their sense of humor.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2008, 08:18:57 AM »

Who's we?
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2008, 11:03:03 AM »

Who's we?

Anyone who feels threatened enough by Islamic extremists to want to do something to change their behavior.

BTW I don't number myself among such, so my bad for saying "we".

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2008, 11:44:54 AM »

Thank you for clearing that up.

I have yet to read but have read and heard reviews and discussions of Chalmers Johnson's books that address the "blowback" resulting from the behavior of the usdotgov in foreign affairs. Of course, that is for another forum but I see a parallel in regards to the drug policy that "we" (as represented by usdotgov) have engaged in over the years. That discussion is for another day though. Got stuff to do today.

Thanks for the input.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: