Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 23, 2018, 09:21:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you favor or oppose the legalization of marijuana?
Favor
Oppose
Unsure

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Drugs  (Read 4061 times)
samiinh

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »

Where I live in NH, indoor farming seems to be quite prominent.  These farmers own houses in upscale neighborhoods and the entire building will be filled with plants. 
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 05:42:57 PM »

Most of the "high grade" that is consumed in the NorthEast comes from Canadian indoor hidden greenhouses.

kam;
 Wow. You seem to be very well-informed about this marijuana subject. Of personal interest to you or just part of your 'casual' reading?

note: Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been employed by the federal government. Please answer as you see fit.

How best to answer.... 

Lets say i'm economically fortunate enough to not have to involve myself with the industry (and its inherent legal risks) on anything but a consumer level.  But that wasn't always the case.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »

Lets say i'm economically fortunate enough to not have to involve myself with the industry

Yes....well put. I've had my own involvement with 'industry representatives' over the years....it was an education (of sorts). Now, for better or for worse, age has intervened and placed me firmly in the hands of the more well-known companies who advertise their products on TV.
samiinh

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »

Lets say i'm economically fortunate enough to not have to involve myself with the industry

Yes....well put. I've had my own involvement with 'industry representatives' over the years....it was an education (of sorts). Now, for better or for worse, age has intervened and placed me firmly in the hands of the more well-known companies who advertise their products on TV.

Products like Geritol and Prep H?  My drugs are prescribed by the doctor.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 11:53:07 PM »

My drugs are prescribed by the doctor.

Quite so. Mine too. Those are precisely the kind of drugs I was alluding to. The unfortunate part for me is that consumption is no longer optional.
samiinh

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »

Quite so. Mine too. Those are precisely the kind of drugs I was alluding to. The unfortunate part for me is that consumption is no longer optional.

LMAO...same here.  And the consumption of alcohol, the greatest social drug, came to a hault 25 years ago.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »

It doesn't make sense to me that a drug like Alcohol is found acceptable and a plant like Marijuana is not.  Alcohol is the cause of so many problems and yet its legal status is never questioned.  As far as being a GATEWAY drug, i drank and smoked cigarettes long before i smoked any weed. Why aren't we concerned about those Gateway drugs and make them illegal?  Its hypocrisy plain as day. At the very least, treat Marijuana like Alcohol and tobacco are treated in this country.   

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »

Why aren't we concerned about those Gateway drugs and make them illegal?

Always an interesting area of discussion. In my opinion in won't be too many more years before possession of a small amount of weed for personal use will be decriminalized in a lot of the U.S. What would you say about legalizing other drugs such as cocaine? There are strong opinions on both sides of the fence about something like that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:50:45 PM by Driver125 » Logged
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 01:05:38 PM »

LMAO...same here.  And the consumption of alcohol, the greatest social drug, came to a hault 25 years ago.

I like that term: "greatest social drug".

I think it is, too.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
samiinh

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 01:48:38 PM »

I like that term: "greatest social drug".

I think it is, too.

Well, it is a socially acceptable  mind altering drug even sold by some state owned stores.  In NH it is sold in such stores located conveniently along the main north-south interstate. 
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 04:34:59 PM »

Why aren't we concerned about those Gateway drugs and make them illegal?

Always an interesting area of discussion. In my opinion in won't be too many more years before possession of a small amount of weed for personal use will be decriminalized in a lot of the U.S. What would you say about legalizing other drugs such as cocaine? There are strong opinions on both sides of the fence about something like that.

I believe in personal liberty and degrees of legalization.  You mentioned Cocaine. I don't like Cocaine. I don't think its a particularly useful drug.  It is probably more lethal than some of the other drugs we've mentioned here.  Despite all that, I don't think possessing a small amount is something law enforcement should be concerned with.  Going after drug traffickers who import mass amounts of the stuff or who have set up an illegal network of labs and courriers... those people should be subject to persectution because they're the ones likely to be armed and dangerous.

What the average Joe or Jane does in the secure confines of their home is not my business.

-Dave Attell
samiinh

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »

What the average Joe or Jane does in the secure confines of their home is not my business.

If it weren't for their demand, would there need to be a supply?
tjaxon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 09:32:53 AM »

I believe in personal liberty and degrees of legalization.  You mentioned Cocaine. I don't like Cocaine. I don't think its a particularly useful drug.  It is probably more lethal than some of the other drugs we've mentioned here.  Despite all that, I don't think possessing a small amount is something law enforcement should be concerned with.  Going after drug traffickers who import mass amounts of the stuff or who have set up an illegal network of labs and courriers... those people should be subject to persectution because they're the ones likely to be armed and dangerous.

I don't believe that there is any middle ground such as decriminalization. If you allow usage, you must allow for supply. Considering that the majority of, and worst, problems associated with illicit drug use are caused by the supply side, full legalization is the only reasonable answer. You would eliminate most of the violence, be able to reallocate law enforcement into more productive endeavors,  and use tax dollars for education and rehabilitation that are currently being spent on an unwinnable War on Drugs. You would also remove a major source of revenue for many criminal and terrorist organizations such as the drug cartels, al-Qaida, and the CIA.

We could even go back to building more schools than prisons.

We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails.
chauncey.g

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 11:20:55 AM »

tjax

hey, don't you have a more recent photo of Rascal?
tjaxon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »

tjax

hey, don't you have a more recent photo of Rascal?

Sure do.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k310/tjaxon/Raspig.jpg

We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: