Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 07:27:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you favor or oppose a law that would ban gay marriage, requiring that marriage should be between a man and a woman?
Favor
Oppose
Unsure

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Rights  (Read 19929 times)
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »

I envision straight people being a minority if things are allowed to snowball in the legal system.

What, do you think gay is a communicable disease?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:20:44 PM by liquidsilver » Logged

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 04:20:30 PM »

Oy.. that wasn't me who called you a homophobe.  This time.  I don't recall if i've uttered that on some other forum.  I can see your point from a fiscal standpoint.  More marriages mean more federal aid. More money going to things that don't give you a benefit.  You don't have to be a homophobe to oppose gay marriage.

But it helps!

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »

Oh, Liq - almost forgot - thanks for the thorugh list of benefits.

Your wisecrack to me means it is open season on these forums as far as insults go?  Just curious.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 04:24:39 PM »

Not to offend you kid. I'll leave your children out of it. Your current ones. But since you bring up children, what if hypothetically on the very miniscule chance that you decide to have more kids and this new child someday who you've raised with love just so happens that he or she turns out to be Gay or Lesbian and wishes for the security of marriage.  Would your opinion be open to change THEN?

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »

I'm perfectly fine with sarcasm.

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 04:26:57 PM »

I envision straight people being a minority if things are allowed to snowball in the legal system.

What, do you think gay is a communicable disease?

LOL

Riiiiiiiiiiiight

Nice thought process there, brother.

Let's just say I don't believe it is purely a natural occurrence.

Some feel you are either born gay or not.   I just don't agree.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 04:31:10 PM »

So you think that you could be converted to being gay?

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »

The word "convert" I think is misused here.

Theoretically, I suppose yes - as that is the basis for my beief.  But NO, not in my case.

The youth of America, even some of the responsible adults are another story.   

I think I've said enough.  Not like I am an activist or something - and I (of course, all of us do) have gay friends, cousins, etc - not that this means anything

I'll let the rest of you continue, maybe check in once in a while.

I will leave you with this:

How do you see gay rights advancing if the Democrats take the White House in 2008 - or would that depend on which Democrat?
samiinh

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »

The NH Senate passed the civil unions bill today.  The bill will be signed by the governor.  It takes affect Jan 1, 2008.
samiinh

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »

Apr 27, 2007

T
o Pastor Greg Lull ("My Turn," Monitor April 23): Your rallying of the troops against civil unions comes across as dropping the bomb on Luxembourg.

You invoke the Christmas tiff in Hillsboro: a local matter, soon resolved by the good citizens, and with no bearing on civil unions. You are alarmed at the words of militant homosexuals from 1969, who were mad as hell and weren't going to take it anymore, as if they speak for your neighbors today who just want the same rights you enjoy.

You are entitled to believe that the Holiness Code of Ancient Israel and the correspondence of Paul of Tarsus are the literal, inerrant Words of God - a belief that not all your fellow citizens, or even all your fellow Christians, share. Your belief does not entitle you to discriminate against those who differ from you. In our great country, not even an alleged majority is empowered to do that.

This issue is not a war, Pastor. You of all people should know the power of words. To equate the desire to visit committed partners on their deathbeds with the carnage in Iraq, or a nuclear strike on the foundations of society, is tasteless hyperbole.

Your side doesn't have to win. Why not use your bully pulpit to work toward a society where all are winners?
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »

Is it true friends cannot visit if you are dying?

Is that ICU rules?
samiinh

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 01:41:12 PM »

Depends on the hospital.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »

So then I guess the tough choice at times is to stay in the hospital or go home and die, enabling one to be with partner.

Rough.

But I don't see why this has to be tied in with legal marriage.  One may beget the other, but can't there be a lobby for rule changes at hospitals, whereby a partner IS able to spend time with a patient, if it is so deemed prior to the sickness occuring and/or if the family gives blessing?

In other word - maybe there is a middle ground that could satisfy most on both sides.
samiinh

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 02:07:05 PM »

So then I guess the tough choice at times is to stay in the hospital or go home and die, enabling one to be with partner.

Rough.

But I don't see why this has to be tied in with legal marriage.  One may beget the other, but can't there be a lobby for rule changes at hospitals, whereby a partner IS able to spend time with a patient, if it is so deemed prior to the sickness occuring and/or if the family gives blessing?

In other word - maybe there is a middle ground that could satisfy most on both sides.

And if it was your life partner of say 35 years, would that work for you?  Would your partner's family have to give you their blessing?
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 02:09:33 PM »

Not to offend you kid. I'll leave your children out of it. Your current ones. But since you bring up children, what if hypothetically on the very miniscule chance that you decide to have more kids and this new child someday who you've raised with love just so happens that he or she turns out to be Gay or Lesbian and wishes for the security of marriage.  Would your opinion be open to change THEN?

Of course not

I'd love and support them, but why should that change my mind on gay marriage?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: