Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 11:39:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which team has the best rotation in the National League?
Padres - 2 (13.3%)
Diamondbacks - 5 (33.3%)
Mets - 2 (13.3%)
Cubs - 3 (20%)
Dodgers - 2 (13.3%)
Brewers - 0 (0%)
Other - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 138
  Print  
Author Topic: National League  (Read 19057 times)
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 12:45:23 PM »

I guess you missed seeing the pitch being up in the strike zone, where it could be EASLEY hit. ANd the balk, too.

Do offer, at least, an informed, opinion, from time to time, kiddy-o.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »

Not crediting a hitter for a 2 strike, 2 out, last of the ninth game tying HR, no matter the pitch, is what I'd call incompetent analysis. 

But you rock on.

How's the neck, by the way?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 02:00:30 PM »

Not crediting a hitter for a 2 strike, 2 out, last of the ninth game tying HR, no matter the pitch, is what I'd call incompetent analysis. 

But you rock on.

How's the neck, by the way?

Not recognizing a poorly located pitch, and disregarding the situation within which the pitch is thrown, doesn't even approach the word analysis, yet alone competence. It does smack largely of homerism.

Don't worry, kid, I rock on, regardless of the scoreboard or the standings, or which of my teams is winning (oops, that's right, I only have ONE TEAM).

And the neck is fine...thought it severly lacks the reddish tint of your own neck, there, cowboy.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 05:45:26 PM »

if you throw easly 50 grapefruit pitches down the middle of the plate in batting practice, you think an Easley is gonna hit out more than 5 or 6?  put it into a game situation and it's amazing, inspiring moment for which the batter deserves a little corner of mets history regardless of how badly the pitcher screwed up where the pitch was located.  i can picture ham in times square on V-E day, walking around poking fun at the celebrants and telling them, hey, it's not our guys' bravery, that schmuck hitler was a crummy strategist.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 09:11:51 AM »

I would think that something like 80% of the home runs hit are hit because a pitcher missed his spot and got the ball where it oughtn't be.  You still have to hit it.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »

I would think that something like 80% of the home runs hit are hit because a pitcher missed his spot and got the ball where it oughtn't be.  You still have to hit it.

The other 20% are Vlad Guerrero's homers.

tlagee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 09:46:22 PM »

Hi everybody...

Hey, did Moses have grazy glue on his butt in the top of the 8th or what. It's hard for me to tell with my MLB slide show (thanks to the third world broadband here in Ozzie-Land). But it seems to me he could have moved to third on the fly out to center and would have scored on Greens fly to right. Maybe I'm wrong...

Let's score a couple in the 9th to win this sucker.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 09:48:10 PM by tlagee » Logged
tlagee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 10:01:19 PM »

Well, that was a good game pitched by Perez with the exception of the three run dinger - but, and I only caught the last three innings - the Mets seemed to be going through the motions bat-wise against a really bad team.

These are games we got to win.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 11:38:56 AM »

These are the games that Willie Randolph loses.

tlagee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »

Willie has improved tremendously since he first took over as manager.

At first - he was way over his head. Now - he's good with both the rookies and veteran players.

Unfortunately, he still has major issues with what goes on between the lines during the games. Omar has presented him with a team where Willie's imput is minimalized - like Joe Torre - and so the team should win despite who manages it.

Willie could still improve - but if he looks at Torre as his mentor - I wouldn't expect much improvement.
Shirley Marcus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »

Thanatopsy can't re register.  He is interestedin sports especially baseball.

Please help him.  He is in American History and can't log on.   

R Sepulveda [[email protected]]

I cannot think of any other way to help him.
Shirley
tlagee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »

Great win tonight - this was one of those games where you felt if the Mets could stay in the game they would win it.

Our relief pitching - with the obvious exception of Heilman - was outstanding!. I think Aaron's wing is hurting.

Franco tied it up in the 9th - great contributions from everyone not named Delgado or Loduca - both are in pretty bad slumps.

Anyway, as I wrote yesterday - these are the type of games we have to win and we won it!

BTW, the replay of  the 'safe'' call at first that Willie argued about showed that the runner was, in fact, out. That runner scored the first run of the game (there were two outs when the ump blew the call). As usual, when an ump blows a call - and he knows he did, the best thing to do is eject anyone who points it out - and that's why Willie was gone.

But, good for Willie - I think he went out there more to light a fire under the team and it worked (it just took a while).
dmac

National Spelling Bee Champ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2007, 09:03:26 AM »

Any update on when Pedro is expected to return? Before the All Start break I hope?
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 01:44:02 PM »

Out for the year.

I'll give you Tankersley for him.  Smiley
dmac

National Spelling Bee Champ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 05:16:14 PM »