Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 24, 2018, 12:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you think the government should or should not spend the money that would be required for research and possible development of a defense system against nuclear missiles?
Should spend the money
Should not spend the money
Unsure

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98
  Print  
Author Topic: National Security  (Read 9520 times)
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1440 on: March 14, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »

You should be OUTRAGED, but instead you bleat like a sheep led to slaughter.

No - I am not outraged - and I do GET outraged at certain things, sometimes too quickly  Smiley

I still feel "free" living in this country - hope I feel the same way if a Clinton win moves me to Canada or the U.K. -

I am a proud, administration supporting American (I supported the Clinton WH as well, BTW).  If I start reading about ATROCITIES committed by my government, where citizens are PUT OUT, not just hyped up on theoretical what-ifs........ I may change my tune.

Next.

Aren't the reason the government is ignoring the Constitution based on  "hyped up on theoretical what-ifs"?

And what about the conservative "Reagan notion" of keeping government out of our lives?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1441 on: March 14, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »

don't speak for kid. He can do that on his own.

Sorry, mea culpa - I certainly should have qualified that as my prediction based on his previous posts, not as kid's actual response.

I too have no quarrel with the kid - in fact I look forward to him schooling me on the facts of baseball life, which I suspect he's much more versed in than I am.

From what I've seen that is no doubt true.

Cheesy

yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1442 on: March 14, 2008, 12:10:08 PM »

I look forward to him schooling me on the facts of baseball life, which I suspect he's much more versed in than I am.

For God's sake, don't enable him.

I hope your brother's El Camino runs forever.....
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1443 on: March 14, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »

From what I've seen that is no doubt true.

Hey - I'm willing to learn! (A Phillies fan of old, BTW)

Kidcarter -

I want to apologize to you personally for my snarky and somewhat misdirected comments of this morning. And also applaud you for supporting our Administrations of different persuasions. While I find "my country right or wrong" a disturbing outlook, I do feel, to paraphrase someone, that America is the worst place on earth to live, except for everywhere else. And by some margin.

Please understand that my own outlook is tempered by having been taught and conditioned to criticize our government as a matter of course and civic duty. That's not going to change in the next administration, who's inevitable excesses, abuses and mistakes (in my opinion) will continue to be fodder for my often clumsy rhetoric.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1444 on: March 14, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »

I look forward to him schooling me on the facts of baseball life, which I suspect he's much more versed in than I am.

For God's sake, don't enable him.

To do what?

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1445 on: March 14, 2008, 12:16:47 PM »

To lecture us on baseball.  We've all worked hard on reigning him in.

I hope your brother's El Camino runs forever.....
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1446 on: March 14, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »

Hey I LOVE baseball lectures. Of course the better informed the lecturer the better the lecture, usually. But the GREAT thing about baseball is that it routinely defies even the most expert of experts, giving near-equal credence to ardent fans who don't have time to bone up on every trade, injury, roster change and stat.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1447 on: March 14, 2008, 12:34:04 PM »

Saying "my country right or wrong" is like saying "my mother, drunk or sober".

I read that somewhere, and I like it.

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1448 on: March 14, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »

Heh

Funny stuff

To be accurate - I do feel you can support an administration WHILE also being critical when the moment strikes.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1449 on: March 14, 2008, 01:06:58 PM »

Heh

Funny stuff

To be accurate - I do feel you can support an administration WHILE also being critical when the moment strikes.

Thing is, the moment has been striking with unprecedented regularity during the current regime - for me at least.

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1450 on: March 14, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »

Kid,

Read about another "abuse" heaped upon the citizens of this country by a government that is getting out of hand. According to the most recent AARP Newsletter, that little thought of law that says that social security and medicate have to make sure that no one who is not a citizen can receive the benefits. For people who live off the beaten path, proving one's citizenship can be a time-consuming matter. And, unless I miss my guess, I'll get they are checking the files and tossing people out of the system, then telling them what is needed to get back in. So far, the number of "illegals" receiving benefits in the system have been far fewer than the cost of looking for them, even before considering the inconvenience of someone who never needed and long since lost a birth certificate, a driver's license, or other proof of citizenship. Suppose you were in the middle of a series of cancer treatments when you were notified that you medical bills are no longer covered and you have to drive a hundred miles or more to get the document that will solve the problem?
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1451 on: April 09, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/09/torch.protest/index.html

What am I saying - are there any?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1452 on: April 10, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »

So, you would boycott Richard Gere movies....

But it's not clear why, kid?

Thought you were a Freedom Fighter?

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1453 on: April 24, 2008, 02:38:37 PM »

Bell verdict today.

Pray for peace in NY.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1454 on: April 24, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »

Bell verdict today.

Pray for peace in NY.

Pray for Justice.

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98
  Print  

Jump to: