Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 10:18:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you support or oppose the creation of a guest worker program that would allow illegal immigrants to register for temporary legal status and employment?
Support
Oppose
Unsure

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 255
  Print  
Author Topic: Immigration  (Read 21980 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:00:38 PM »

Share your thoughts on America's immigration stance.
thecap0

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:34:52 PM »

Open the borders for the free movement of capital, goods, and PEOPLE from the Arctic to Tierra del Fuego.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 06:56:55 PM »

Agreed, Cap,

In the Monroe Doctrine we told the war that the Americas were a distinct part of the world and that we would protect our own. Too often, in the past century, we have done nothing more allow one after another dictator, which we supported, to take over. The rich got richer, and the poor were so much poorer, and knocking at our doors. If we had done a better job of encouraging democratic governments, there would not be so much of a run on our borders now.

srnich

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »

OK, start over.

srnich

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:46:46 AM »

Opening up would make it easier for those working away from home to return, helping the economies of both nations.

Nah, too easy.

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:08:11 PM »

There is some influx either from Mexico or Puerto Rico in rural Virginia. I notice it most by the fact that the spanish foods in the grocery store are now there year round. I rarely see them in town except during the usual planting and harvest seasons. Their names are not showing up in the local newspaper as perpetrators of crimes. I do not know if they are legals or illegals. I just know we are getting new neighbors.  They are far less disruptive to the usual way of life here than the Jamestown settlers were to the Native Americans!

samiinh

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »

There is some influx either from Mexico or Puerto Rico in rural Virginia. I notice it most by the fact that the spanish foods in the grocery store are now there year round. I rarely see them in town except during the usual planting and harvest seasons. Their names are not showing up in the local newspaper as perpetrators of crimes. I do not know if they are legals or illegals. I just know we are getting new neighbors.  They are far less disruptive to the usual way of life here than the Jamestown settlers were to the Native Americans!

On NPR they were saying this morning that farmers are in dire need of workers to harvest their crops and are asking for guest workers.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 02:23:09 PM »

If the people want to work, and we have jobs waiting for them, it just makes good sense to bring them in and let them work the jobs that are not attractive to American workers. Yes, they will send some part of their wages home to their families in Mexico, where the money will undoubtedly go further than at the local malls. This is a good.

I have been told by some local farmer wives who also teach, that the Mexicans are better workers than other Hispanics. If Mexicans have a strong work ethic, why not include them in our nation?
Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:02:32 PM »

As usual, Cap, you support an action that sounds "good" in theory but in practice would result in the US being swamped by impoverished Third Worlders. Our population is already too high in many areas, especially in the larger cities, and allowed virtually unlimited immigration would be a disaster for our environment, wildlife, and our society. 

Open the borders for the free movement of capital, goods, and PEOPLE from the Arctic to Tierra del Fuego.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."---Scotty, "Star Trek III."
srnich

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »

Employers break silence to fight hiring sanctions

Companies banding together to support a guest-worker plan

The Arizona Republic - Mar. 7, 2007

Arizona businesses struggling to fill jobs are watching the immigration debate, but you won't find them talking openly about it.

Bill Konopnicki, a Republican state legislator who runs several McDonald's restaurants in Safford, argues that the legislation introduced doesn't tackle the true problem.

"Well-intended Republicans are saying it's business' fault" by making work available, he said. "The flip side of that is if there was a labor pool and unduplicatable documents, then business wouldn't be hiring them. Most businesses try to run by the rules because, in the long run, they would have more problems."

Maxine Jones, who runs a Phoenix machine shop that supplies aerospace companies, said she struggles filling jobs, too. And she occasionally is approached by undocumented immigrants.

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special03/articles/0307biz-sanctions0307.html

srnich

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »

As usual, Cap, you support an action that sounds "good" in theory but in practice would result in the US being swamped by impoverished Third Worlders. Our population is already too high in many areas, especially in the larger cities, and allowed virtually unlimited immigration would be a disaster for our environment, wildlife, and our society. 

As usual chak, you miss the whole idea.

Our population would not be affected much if workers could go home.

Duh.
Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

If they are working the fields, they are probably from Mexico or possibly Guatemala or another country in that vicinity, in which case they are probably illegal. Can't be certain of that without checking IDs of course, but logically, if they are keeping such a low profile, it seems likely that they are here illegally.  

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."---Scotty, "Star Trek III."
Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 03:14:28 PM »

Our population would be affected by the fact that allowing virtually unlimited immigration, such as that proposed by Cap, would result in huge numbers of Third Worlders coming here. They might come alone at first, and travel back and forth, but at some point they would want to bring their families here, which would add even more people to our population.   

As usual chak, you miss the whole idea.

Our population would not be affected much if workers could go home.

Duh.

Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 03:27:49 PM »

It isn't necessarily the jobs that are not attractive to American workers; it is the pay and lack of benefits. Illegal aliens will take jobs for far less than an American can accept, and without benefits. If illegals were not available as a cheap labor pool, employers would have to either offer better wages and maybe some benefits to get Americans to take the jobs, or go out of business.

There are already millions of Mexicans "included" in our nation, many of them here illegally. Some have a strong work ethic and some do not. Like other people on this planet, we can't make blanket judgments about them based on their point of origin.

The question is not whether Mexicans, or anyone else, are willing to work, but rather, what effect having such huge numbers of people from another culture and language dumped across our borders will have on our population growth, culture, environment, society and economy. The level of immigration is simply too high and too fast; we need to lower the levels of immigration to more manageable numbers.

Keep in mind that if most of the employers who are pushing for "guest" workers were still paying wages that an American can live on, they wouldn't need "guest" workers; they would still have American employees.

If the people want to work, and we have jobs waiting for them, it just makes good sense to bring them in and let them work the jobs that are not attractive to American workers. Yes, they will send some part of their wages home to their families in Mexico, where the money will undoubtedly go further than at the local malls. This is a good.

I have been told by some local farmer wives who also teach, that the Mexicans are better workers than other Hispanics. If Mexicans have a strong work ethic, why not include them in our nation?

srnich

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 03:39:39 PM »

chak, go back and read what I linked.

"He told members of the Arizona House Government Committee last month that he pays $20 an hour for steel fitters, which is 30 percent more today than he paid six months ago. To fill orders, he regularly has to pay overtime."

"My company is doing everything possible from recruitment and incentives to training and automation, but it is not enough," he told the committee. "No matter what we do, there are not enough workers. I've even looked at Mexican maquiladoras."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 255
  Print  

Jump to: