Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 03:54:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Africa  (Read 1960 times)
sumen

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 07:42:18 PM »

I'm reading an excellent book on the situation in Darfur: Not on Our Watch by Don Cheadle and John Prendergast. Darfur is undergoing a vicious genocidal cleansing. This book has a foreword by Elie Wiesel and an introduction by Senators Barack Obama and Sam Brownback. A good internet site is (www.enoughproject.org). Wiesel quote: Remember, silence helps the killer, never his victims. Susan
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 02:28:45 AM »

I see the the Bush Administration has decided to declare poor Eitrea a terrorist country.  That's a joke.  Eitrea has been used and abused by every Tom, Dick, and Harry for so long there's probably no Eitrean citizen alive who remembers when things were normal.  Ethopia constantly agitating and making up reasons to attack because they want Eitrea's coastline (with the U.S. helping them at every turn.)

If you want to know something about the history of that much maligned little country, read, I Didn't Do It For You, by Michela Wrong and weep.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 02:32:37 AM by Donotremove » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 04:12:31 AM »

Supposedly, the government of Eritrea is "Islamicist," therefore an enemy of America. Of course, we know little or nothing about the Eritrean government, but since Ethiopia calls itself a Democracy, we throw our support behind Ethiopia.  Can't have any more of those "Islamicist" nations sprouting up, and there is nothing Ethiopia wants more than to re-annex Eritrea.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 03:17:42 PM »

Dzimas, how true.  And, thanks for showing me that I left one of the "r"s out of Eritrea.  Oh me, I got so fired up after reading that . . .  I keep hoping some virulent disease will run rampant through the members of the Bush Whitehouse and they will begin dropping like flies to be swept up and sent to the municipal dump where they belong (consigned to the Biblical-like Hades--too delicious.)

So, Jenna's getting married (a Whitehouse wedding diversion?).  Sounds like a scene from The Birdcage, eh?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 05:04:41 AM »

Yea, DNR, the media should fawn all over that one.  Was Julie Nixon the last one to have a marriage reception at the White House?
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »

Dzimas, I believe so.  Reagan's son married while Reagan was president but the wedding was held elswhere.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 02:10:36 AM »

Zimbabwe's inflation rate is staggering.  There is talk now of South Africa financing Zimbabwe's debt if they agree to go on the rand, but it doesn't seem that dear Bobby is biting.  Like Capt. Ahab he seems determined to take the country down with him.  It appalls me to see Zimbabwe in such a ruinous state of affairs.  I was there some 15 years ago, and I thought it had a pretty bright future, with market reforms apparently forcing Mugabe to turn away from his hardline Communist views, especially in the wake of the ANC adopting a more open view to free market principles, and the virtually demise of the Communist party in South Africa, once led by Joe Slovo.  But, sadly, Mugabe seems more entrenched in his views than ever.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 02:41:06 AM »

Mugabe has lotsa bucks stashed in Swiss banks.  Money from IMF and World Bank for projects that never quite got done, other than a showpiece here and there.  He'll fly the coop when he figures all is lost.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 05:49:35 AM »

At 83, it would seem Mugabe is holding onto the bitter end.  Whatever money he has socked away in Swiss bank accounts and other overseas holdings are for his kids and grandkids. The guy simply doesn't know how to let go, and unlike Castro and Qaddafi, appears incapable of changing with the times.  I remember years ago, watching a pickup truck pull into the courtyard of a roadside restaurant and hotel, and project a documentary onto a whitewashed wall showing Mugabe shaking hands with Soviet, Cuban, Libyan and exiled Palestinians and South African leaders in a show of unity.  Most of the persons watching were drinking beers and making jokes about the black and white news reel.  But, sadly, this bit of iconic propoganda film making was apparently very dear to Mugabe, and he has been unwilling to change his views one iota.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »

Dzimas, what is it about the poor (and a lot of the rest of us) that will cause us to keep adjusting and adjusting and adjusting to injustice, dying at an early age (an average Zimbabweans' life expectancy is less than 40 years) after a completely miserable life, rather than taking to the streets, with a good chance of dying there, to protest (or overthrow) despots like Mugabe?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 06:32:24 PM »

Easier to flee to South Africa, which has been the case for many Zimbabweans, which I guess is why South Africa feels that assuming Zimbabwe's debt burden would be a beter solution to the problem.  Zimbabweans were faring reasonably well in 1990, DNR.  Literacy was, and I imagine still is, very high.  They tried to overthrow Mugabe through the election process, but intimidation and voter fraud by the ruling ZANU-PF seems to have taken its toll on the people.  Now they fight for whatever scraps there are left in this once rich agricultural country.  The decline has been rapid and severe but I don't think it is irreversable.  Zambia was going through a similar crisis when I visited the country the same year.  Kenneth Kaunda, like Mugabe, refused to let go of power, until he was driven from office.  It seems revolutionary leaders like to project themselves as father figures, which is what makes Nelson Mandela something special, since he knew when to step down and pass over the reins to other leaders in his party.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:21:07 AM by Dzimas » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 05:23:13 AM »

Saw Amandla! the other night on the History channel.  Beautiful documentary on the role of music to free South Africa from apartheid.  The DVD is worth getting so that you can better remember the many musicians and songs that appear in this film.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »

Of all the countries in Africa, I least expected Kenya to descend into such an awful post-election chaos,

http://www.imcworldwide.org/microsites/kenya_crisis/kenya1.html?gclid=COvV6pW15JACFQrAaAodmzKzXA
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »

Of all the countries in Africa, I least expected Kenya to descend into such an awful post-election chaos,

http://www.imcworldwide.org/microsites/kenya_crisis/kenya1.html?gclid=COvV6pW15JACFQrAaAodmzKzXA

Ironically, this is the kind of habitual response that Barack Obama spoke about during his homeland trip in August of 2006 when he addressed the villagers in his father's village near Lake Victoria in Western Kenya.  He spoke about resisting falling into that preferential loyalty to tribe or family first because it worked against cooperation in times of stress such as  epidemics or genocidal conflict being initiated by no one remembers whom.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »

Dzimas,  on the other hand, I could expect post-election inability of disturbed factions to accept election results in this country. Americans are no longer civilized. They are at their petty worst, after already having demonstrated their inhumane nonchalance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: