Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584124 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15450 on: June 20, 2019, 09:46:25 PM »

https://wjla.com/news/local/supreme-court-rules-bladensburg-peace-cross-stand-public-land

The Cross can stand, 7-2.
Atheists not faring well this SCOTUS term.

Constitutionalists not faring well on that issue with this SCOTUS ever. The argument that it's an old monument, so we no longer care if it promotes a religion, is pretty specious, IMO, but the ruling was not a surprise.

A better argument would be that its primary purpose was to commemorate valor, rather than establish one religion as favored.   In this case, I can see both sides, but have a hard time really seeing this particular monument as an affront to the Establishment Clause.   If you put it up NOW, of course, it would be an affront to the EC.   The really specious argument in all this is that rejecting a cross is an attack on Christianity - I know Alito believes that, but I have to wonder if he's going to have a problem with taking down a memorial that has, say, a Muslim symbol.  That would be the test for lurking hypocrisy.

Nobody is arguing about primary purpose. "In God We Trust" is not intended primarily to establish religion. The Chaplains in Congress are not intended primarily to establish religion, even as the majority resists tooth and nail having a non-Christian chaplain or even a visiting person running a convocation, at times.

I would love the test, but I don't know that we will get one of quite that sort.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15451 on: June 20, 2019, 09:47:09 PM »

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1141768741203718146?s=21

“President” Trump said in the most recent Time interview that he thinks he doesn’t need to appeal outside of his base, the 40% that support his reelect, to win in 2020.  Outside of that being I think an extremely problematic position for a sitting President to take (“I don’t need to concern myself with 60% of the country I govern”) I’m also pretty sure this is false, born of his living in a bubble of his own internal polling.

Trump’s base almost surely no longer consists of the rust belt working class people who are blue on social spending but red on social issues, as after promising not to cut spending on social welfare programs and raise taxes on the wealthy, as “President” he has done the opposite.  Even if you voted for him because Immigration is your top concern, what has he done to actually address this signature issue of his outside of shutting down the government so that he can fail to build a wall?

In 2016 he got to 46% by tricking some Americans into thinking he wasn’t a typical Republican. Aside from proving that yes he is completely unqualified and ill-suited for the job, he’s also shown that particular part of his sales pitch to be a lie.  And without that broadening of his base of support, depending on rabid Trumpist turnout to get elected won’t (I think) do it for him.

Even if we know kiidcarter8 will be there for him, with bells on.

You need to stop
[/quote

Yeah!

Kiiid hates being accurately described in these posts.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15452 on: June 20, 2019, 09:47:25 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15453 on: June 20, 2019, 09:54:52 PM »

https://wjla.com/news/local/supreme-court-rules-bladensburg-peace-cross-stand-public-land

Constitutionalists not faring well on that issue with this SCOTUS ever. The argument that it's an old monument, so we no longer care if it promotes a religion, is pretty specious, IMO, but the ruling was not a surprise.

A better argument would be that its primary purpose was to commemorate valor, rather than establish one religion as favored.   In this case, I can see both sides, but have a hard time really seeing this particular monument as an affront to the Establishment Clause.   If you put it up NOW, of course, it would be an affront to the EC.   The really specious argument in all this is that rejecting a cross is an attack on Christianity - I know Alito believes that, but I have to wonder if he's going to have a problem with taking down a memorial that has, say, a Muslim symbol.  That would be the test for lurking hypocrisy.

Nobody is arguing about primary purpose. "In God We Trust" is not intended primarily to establish religion. The Chaplains in Congress are not intended primarily to establish religion, even as the majority resists tooth and nail having a non-Christian chaplain or even a visiting person running a convocation, at times.

I would love the test, but I don't know that we will get one of quite that sort.
What’s the “ sort”you want.?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15455 on: June 20, 2019, 10:29:43 PM »

Your density knows no bounds.

Barton wrote: "I have to wonder if (Alito's) going to have a problem with taking down a memorial that has, say, a Muslim symbol.  That would be the test for lurking hypocrisy."

I wrote: "I would love the test, but I don't know that we will get one of quite that sort."

You wrote: "What’s the “ sort”you want.?" (sic)

The sort I want is the sort that Barton described, which I said I would love.

Caught up, yet?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15456 on: June 20, 2019, 10:46:26 PM »

Just because Red fancies himself an educator well-versed in the Socratic method, doesn't mean he's good at it.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15457 on: June 20, 2019, 11:22:48 PM »

Barton wrote: "I have to wonder if (Alito's) going to have a problem with taking down a memorial that has, say, a Muslim symbol.  That would be the test for lurking hypocrisy."

I wrote: "I would love the test, but I don't know that we will get one of quite that sort."

Caught up, yet?
No. Since you( nor Barton) have posed any Constitutional  question.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:26:03 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15458 on: June 20, 2019, 11:27:29 PM »

Just because Red fancies himself an educator well-versed in the Socratic method, doesn't mean he's good at it.
I don’t think you understand the Socratic method.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15459 on: June 20, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »

Hell, I know you don’t!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15460 on: June 20, 2019, 11:35:48 PM »

Caught up, yet?

Dolt.

You haven't used an English language sentence. We didn't pose a question, per se, but we did pose a situation. You just don't seem to be able to grasp what it was.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15461 on: June 20, 2019, 11:37:56 PM »

Your compassionate, humanitarian US government at work, just the way Kiiid and Ward think they should be. Not as harsh as Bambi-ignorance thinks they should be.

https://www.newsweek.com/migrant-children-border-trump-administration-1445090

The Trump administration went to court this week to argue that migrant children detained at the United States-Mexico border do not require basic hygiene products like soap and toothbrushes in order to be in held in "safe and sanitary" conditions. Trump's team also argued that requiring minors to sleep on cold concrete floors in crowded cells with low temperatures similarly fulfilled that requirement.

Arguing in a 9th district San Francisco court about the conditions that they must hold migrant children in, the administration said that they did not violate a precedent set by a landmark 1985 class action lawsuit which established guidelines for the way minors held in federal immigration detention must be treated. The case, Jenny Lisette Flores v. Edwin Meese, created rules around the timely release of migrant minors to their parents, and said that those not released must be kept in facilities that are "safe and sanitary."

But on Tuesday, the Justice Department's Sarah Fabian claimed that the ruling did not list specific requirements like "toothbrushes" or "towels," to establish a sanitary condition.

Safe and sanitary.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15462 on: June 20, 2019, 11:40:32 PM »

I don't think you're an educator.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15463 on: June 20, 2019, 11:40:39 PM »

Caught up, yet?

Dolt.

You haven't used an English language sentence. We didn't pose a question, per se, but we did pose a situation. You just don't seem to be able to grasp what it was.
That’s because you have yet  to pose one. 
You can run, but you cannot hide.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15464 on: June 20, 2019, 11:42:01 PM »

I don't think you're an educator.
Whatever that means.
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 4288