Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1596999 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #16230 on: July 04, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »

Regarding:

Like Chief Justice Roberts today, Holmes threw up his hands and described the Supreme Court as impotent. If “the great mass of the white population intends to keep the blacks from voting,” he wrote, there was nothing the justices could do. The courts could not get involved in politics
[/b]
Jackson versus Giles was dealt with by the USCongress and the Voting Rights Act.
Partisan Gerrymandering, if a problem, can be changed by Congress, State Legislatures, or the residents of the states through such vehicles as initiative petition.

Mighty selective editing, eh Red?

To paraphrase Paul Harvey, “And now, the rest of the story!”

Oliver Wendell Holmes, recently appointed to the Court by Theodore Roosevelt, wrote the opinion for a 6-3 majority. Like Chief Justice Roberts today, Holmes threw up his hands and described the Supreme Court as impotent. If “the great mass of the white population intends to keep the blacks from voting,” he wrote, there was nothing the justices could do. The courts could not get involved in politics. “Relief from a great political wrong” could only come from the “people of a state” through their elected officials, or from Congress. Holmes ignored the fact that the definition of the “people” of Alabama was precisely the point at issue.[/b] Holmes would go on to a distinguished judicial career. Giles v. Harris, one scholar has written, “is—or should be—the most prominent stain” on his reputation. Chief Justice Roberts, take note.

https://www.thenation.com/article/eric-foner-supreme-court-john-roberts/
Holmes was correct.
So is Roberts.

Must be why it's a stain on Holmes' career, huh?

It’s not.

Then why quote an Eric Foner that explicitly states Holmes fucked up the decision?
The vote was 6-3.
You’re full of shit, Red. Cherry picking an opinion to use it in opposition to said opinion is just ham fisted Orwellian bullshit.
I didn’t pick the case.

You picked the article and selectively quoted from an article that completely contradicts your position.

Fuck off.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16231 on: July 04, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »

It does seem a legitimate debate question: to what degree can white supremacists usurp the original meaning of the Ross flag, and should we credit that usurping in any way?   I can see both sides of the debate here.   With some symbols, the situation is more clear-cut:  no one frets about what the swastika meant to early Aryan peoples, as a symbol of health, luck, and prosperity.   It was permanently and irrevocably stained when the Nazis co-opted the ancient symbol.   With the Ross flag, it's less clear to me that the stain Kaepernick has perceived is irrevocable.   I don't think ignoring this newer attempt to co-opt a classic  symbol of independence and unity makes someone a racist.
I am really not sure, myself, that I want to let the extremist groups rule our perceptions.

You ever think just once to pay attention when black people say, “Whoa?”

We keep seeing this same movie and we know how it ends....

I've been paying attention to black people saying "whoa" for roughly a half century.   You understand I am asking questions here, and haven't made up my mind where the Ross stands in relation to the other flags you mentioned. 

Still trying to plumb the gray areas.   It's like finding a reasonable point between taking down RE Lee statues (yes) and Jeff Memorial (please, no).  If, when, it's clear that a Ross flag is more about slavery and supremacy than about freedom and unity, then I will be at your door with a can of lighter fluid and whatever libation you favor. 

My slowness to decide things is a feature, not a bug.  At least that's what some folks tell me.

Larry only wants HIS views tolerated, not yours.
"Achtung Larry" doesn't practice what he preaches. It would impact his victim status.

Fuck you and your bullshit.

https://medium.com/@timjwise/silence-is-not-a-virtue-racism-victimhood-and-right-wing-concern-trolling-74094666756
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16232 on: July 04, 2019, 04:36:22 PM »

My Shinbone Star buddy Don Lessem’s Trump puppet is on the Mall today!

https://wjla.com/news/local/trump-golden-toilet

Baby balloon 2 feet off the ground

Heh

- What could possibly happen to it?

Nothing can FLY over the mall. Airspace restrictions.

Yes.  I know.  That is why - among other reasons - having it there is funny.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16233 on: July 04, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »

It does seem a legitimate debate question: to what degree can white supremacists usurp the original meaning of the Ross flag, and should we credit that usurping in any way?   I can see both sides of the debate here.   With some symbols, the situation is more clear-cut:  no one frets about what the swastika meant to early Aryan peoples, as a symbol of health, luck, and prosperity.   It was permanently and irrevocably stained when the Nazis co-opted the ancient symbol.   With the Ross flag, it's less clear to me that the stain Kaepernick has perceived is irrevocable.   I don't think ignoring this newer attempt to co-opt a classic  symbol of independence and unity makes someone a racist.
I am really not sure, myself, that I want to let the extremist groups rule our perceptions.

You ever think just once to pay attention when black people say, “Whoa?”

We keep seeing this same movie and we know how it ends....

I've been paying attention to black people saying "whoa" for roughly a half century.   You understand I am asking questions here, and haven't made up my mind where the Ross stands in relation to the other flags you mentioned. 

Still trying to plumb the gray areas.   It's like finding a reasonable point between taking down RE Lee statues (yes) and Jeff Memorial (please, no).  If, when, it's clear that a Ross flag is more about slavery and supremacy than about freedom and unity, then I will be at your door with a can of lighter fluid and whatever libation you favor. 

My slowness to decide things is a feature, not a bug.  At least that's what some folks tell me.

I’m not one of those folks. It’s my personal perspective that some can wait and see because they ain’t the ones being affected by the situations we yell about.

That’s why I ask if the rest of my post had no bearing on my assertion?

Remember when you were a kid snd the Gadsden Flag was damn cool? A symbol of Revolutionary America? After the mainstreaming of above ground racism through the TEA Party that flag tells the world who you are. I see that on a bumper of a pristine F150 parked on Pennsylvania Ave SE there maybe someone in We The Pizza might... that flag is gone.

But we had this same debate...

Before that no one gave a shit about the flag on General Lee because the show was stupid and funny but long before that folks in the South knew exactly what the flag represented at Ole Miss and everywhere else.

We debated loud and long about that flag, right? Is there any debate now?

The Right is conflating patriotism with racism.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16234 on: July 04, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »

My Shinbone Star buddy Don Lessem’s Trump puppet is on the Mall today!

https://wjla.com/news/local/trump-golden-toilet

Baby balloon 2 feet off the ground

Heh

- What could possibly happen to it?

Nothing can FLY over the mall. Airspace restrictions.

Yes.  I know.  That is why - among other reasons - having it there is funny.

Of course it’s funny, that’s the whole point. Kind of like Moe, Larry and Curly mocking Nazis.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #16235 on: July 04, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »

Regarding:

Like Chief Justice Roberts today, Holmes threw up his hands and described the Supreme Court as impotent. If “the great mass of the white population intends to keep the blacks from voting,” he wrote, there was nothing the justices could do. The courts could not get involved in politics
[/b]
Jackson versus Giles was dealt with by the USCongress and the Voting Rights Act.
Partisan Gerrymandering, if a problem, can be changed by Congress, State Legislatures, or the residents of the states through such vehicles as initiative petition.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, recently appointed to the Court by Theodore Roosevelt, wrote the opinion for a 6-3 majority. Like Chief Justice Roberts today, Holmes threw up his hands and described the Supreme Court as impotent. If “the great mass of the white population intends to keep the blacks from voting,” he wrote, there was nothing the justices could do. The courts could not get involved in politics. “Relief from a great political wrong” could only come from the “people of a state” through their elected officials, or from Congress. Holmes ignored the fact that the definition of the “people” of Alabama was precisely the point at issue.[/b] Holmes would go on to a distinguished judicial career. Giles v. Harris, one scholar has written, “is—or should be—the most prominent stain” on his reputation. Chief Justice Roberts, take note.

Holmes was correct.
So is Roberts.

It’s not.

Then why quote an Eric Foner that explicitly states Holmes fucked up the decision?
The vote was 6-3.
You’re full of shit, Red. Cherry picking an opinion to use it in opposition to said opinion is just ham fisted Orwellian bullshit.
I didn’t pick the case.

You picked the article and selectively quoted from an article that completely contradicts your position.

Fuck off.
Incorrect. Josh picked the article. I repeated the the authors interpretation of Holmes decision as it appeared in Josh’s post. And it certainly did not contradict my previous statements.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16236 on: July 04, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »

Regarding:

[/b]

Holmes was correct.
So is Roberts.

It’s not.

The vote was 6-3.
I didn’t pick the case.

Fuck off.
Incorrect. Josh picked the article. I repeated the the authors interpretation of Holmes decision as it appeared in Josh’s post. And it certainly did not contradict my previous statements.

The author decided Holmes made a rookie mistake and you are defending the mistake.

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #16237 on: July 04, 2019, 05:01:27 PM »

The New Yawker article made some good points about the Don't Tread flag, and its shifting meanings.   Thanks, Larry.   I was largely unfamiliar with it except for its colonial history and the later adoption as a libertarian thing.   Does it annoy me when relatively benign libertarian concepts, e.g. smaller government that doesn't mess with my life, get grafted onto white nationalist bilge?  It does.  Has the DTOM flag been corrupted beyond repair?  Maybe.   I liked the concluding paragraph...

We have no real context for what that aggrieved postal worker experienced, or for the motives of his Gadsden-fan colleague. But however that incident is ultimately resolved as a matter of workplace regulation, it’s not going to settle some definitive meaning of the “Don’t Tread On Me” rattler. “Symbols are emotion-charged,” Hartvigsen, the flag expert, said. We care about and interpret them on a personal level. And that’s why the facts of a symbol’s history and associations can be compiled, documented, and studied, but they still won’t be the whole story. “Flags very much have the meaning of the individual who is displaying it, or seeing it,” Hartvigsen continued. More significant, those may be two wildly divergent, but equally fervent, perspectives. The Gadsden flag is just the latest example that disagreements and ambiguity do not undermine the emotional power of a symbol. Sometimes, in fact, they are its source.   

For what it's worth I wouldn't display a Ross flag.   Would I assume someone else is doing so to express WN sentiment, and object to the display?   Probably not.   I need to hear more context.  Just the fact that patriot twits are wrapping themselves in flags of various provenances isn't enough; twits have been doing that for millennia.   To me patriotism is loving and caring for your land, and seeing that it nurtures life, liberty, and the PoH for everyone you share it with.   Flag waving is for the simple-minded. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16238 on: July 04, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »

Anything other than the current flag is disrespecting someone.

Should there be a ban on all non-current US flags?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #16239 on: July 04, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »

Regarding:

[/b]

Holmes was correct.
So is Roberts.

It’s not.

The vote was 6-3.
I didn’t pick the case.

Fuck off.

The author decided Holmes made a rookie mistake and you are defending the mistake.

It wasn’t a mistake.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16240 on: July 04, 2019, 05:25:59 PM »

Regarding:

[/b]

Holmes was correct.
So is Roberts.

It’s not.

The vote was 6-3.
I didn’t pick the case.

Fuck off.

It wasn’t a mistake.

Slap yourself as hard as you can and go sit in a corner.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16241 on: July 04, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »

The New Yawker article made some good points about the Don't Tread flag, and its shifting meanings.   Thanks, Larry.   I was largely unfamiliar with it except for its colonial history and the later adoption as a libertarian thing.   Does it annoy me when relatively benign libertarian concepts, e.g. smaller government that doesn't mess with my life, get grafted onto white nationalist bilge?  It does.  Has the DTOM flag been corrupted beyond repair?  Maybe.   I liked the concluding paragraph...

We have no real context for what that aggrieved postal worker experienced, or for the motives of his Gadsden-fan colleague. But however that incident is ultimately resolved as a matter of workplace regulation, it’s not going to settle some definitive meaning of the “Don’t Tread On Me” rattler. “Symbols are emotion-charged,” Hartvigsen, the flag expert, said. We care about and interpret them on a personal level. And that’s why the facts of a symbol’s history and associations can be compiled, documented, and studied, but they still won’t be the whole story. “Flags very much have the meaning of the individual who is displaying it, or seeing it,” Hartvigsen continued. More significant, those may be two wildly divergent, but equally fervent, perspectives. The Gadsden flag is just the latest example that disagreements and ambiguity do not undermine the emotional power of a symbol. Sometimes, in fact, they are its source.   

For what it's worth I wouldn't display a Ross flag.   Would I assume someone else is doing so to express WN sentiment, and object to the display?   Probably not.   I need to hear more context.  Just the fact that patriot twits are wrapping themselves in flags of various provenances isn't enough; twits have been doing that for millennia.   To me patriotism is loving and caring for your land, and seeing that it nurtures life, liberty, and the PoH for everyone you share it with.   Flag waving is for the simple-minded.

I understand, I just don’t whole heartedly agree only because when folks tell you who they are and then use symbols to show you who they are you should believe them.

I remember the debates over the TEA party when I was told I couldn’t prove they were a racist movement...

Donald Trump has tanks on the grounds of the Lincoln...

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16243 on: July 04, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »

Regarding:

[/b]

Holmes was correct.
So is Roberts.

It’s not.

The vote was 6-3.
I didn’t pick the case.

Fuck off.

It wasn’t a mistake.

right.

That was why it got overturned.

Still no claims about Plessy or Dred Scott, huh?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16244 on: July 04, 2019, 05:50:25 PM »

Throngs of protesters expected today in Washington

So, whose fault will it be if someone were to die?
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 4288