Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 06:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling the situation with Iraq?
Approve
Disapprove
Unsure

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Iraq in Transition  (Read 2308 times)
elportenito1

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2007, 10:33:41 AM »

donotremove: I don't know why you insist....as a friend used to say:

"people is not bad, is simply that they lack imagination"

in vino veritas
elportenito1

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »

Letters to the editor, The Sydney Morning Herald, September 5,2007

Helping one's mates shouldn't involve criminality

John Howard has finally declared his hand on Iraq ("We're in Iraq for US, says PM as Bush flies in", September 4). The logic of this admission is that it doesn't matter that we helped create the disaster that is now Iraq but that you should always support your friend if it is in our national interest. I wouldn't have thought it was in our national interest: to be joined at the hip to George Bush; to have invaded Iraq based on flawed intelligence; to have ignored international opinion and the United Nations; to invade a country that was no threat to us; and to continue to be party to the continuing casualties in Iraq.

I would have thought a true friend would offer wise counsel rather than simply follow a misguided, deluded, unlawful and destructive policy advocated by a powerful friend.

Our less than honest Prime Minister has convinced the electorate on four occasions that he should be returned. A fifth will elude him. History will not be kind to Howard and nor should it.

Richard Egan Paddington

The Howard Government has sunk to an all-time low by politicising our military in Iraq in order to justify a continued presence in that unfortunate country. As a bit player in the last misadventure Australia followed the US into in the 1960s and '70s, I find it abhorrent that this Government can so shamelessly use these men and women to paper over what has become an embarrassment and election issue.

Dallas Fraser Mudgeeraba (Qld)

Tony Blair managed to get his people out of Guantanamo Bay when John Howard could not. Britain is currently withdrawing its troops from Iraq when Howard will not. Now NSW taxpayers get to pay millions of dollars so Howard can invite his old mate George Bush over to play. When will we gain some advantage from Howard's constant attempts to build an "alliance" with Bush?

Janis Donnelly-Coode Penrith

Can somebody remind the Minister of Defence that the Australian Defence Forces exist to fight for all Australians, those intending to vote for Kevin Rudd as much as those intending to vote for John Howard. And since when do the troops, how ever supposedly "angry", tell their leaders where they will or won't fight and when they'll withdraw? We're still a way yet from being run by the military aren't we, Minister Nelson?

Garry Bickley Elizabeth Downs (SA)

Brendan Nelson should tell our troops in Iraq that John Howard has just changed their job description. It is no longer to restore some kind of normality to a society that our invasion destroyed but it is simply to keep us in George Bush's good books.

John Truman Chatswood

in vino veritas
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »

So if you cannot trust your elected officials who can you trust? The mangods from Qom university of course.  Well versed in good and evil and telling the bad animals from the good animals. Can find devils with little trouble. Love the spectacle of a public hanging.
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2007, 11:56:02 PM »

Libs, Neocons, no such thing. Just holy warriors or dead criminals.

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=12304
Iran hangs 17 in one day
Wed. 05 Sep 2007
Iran Focus

Tehran, Iran, Sep. 05 – Iranian authorities hanged 17 men on Wednesday, the latest in a spate of group executions.

State media said that the 17 were hanged in the north-eastern province of Khorassan Razavi.

“Following legal procedures, 17 individuals were hanged for drug smuggling in Khorassan Razavi province this morning”, state television reported.

Iranian authorities routinely execute dissidents on bogus charges such as armed robbery and drug smuggling.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2007, 01:28:28 AM »

Elportentia, sad to say your John Howard is in bed with Bush The Younger.  Any chance of getting rid of him next election and getting back on track?

I was watching a documentary on the International History channel about Pinochet, and Margaret Thatcher was an apologist for him right up to the very end.  I'm a non believer, but if there is a Hell I hope Pinochet landed in the hottest part.
elportenito1

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »

Donotremove: We have Dubya sleeping at our place, so to say, he's actualy minutes away from our place, Australia seems to be losing her sence of humour, yesterday a group of comedians from a tv show called The Chaser, who do satyre of current affairs etc, penetrated the thick security meassures, which include a wire fence some 10 feet high and messuring some five kilometres ( let's say 5000 yards) this fence isolates the area in downtown Sydney where  APEC Conference's 21 leaders are meeting andstaying. The comedians hired a limousine and posed as the ambassador from Canada, and with another vehicle behind, and some of the comedians wearing suits and impersonating special  agents, drove thru the checkpoints and got some one hundred yards from where Dubya was. One of the comedians in the car was dressed as Osama Bin Laden, mock beard included.

Now the police chieff is telling the media he is "very angry", more like very humilliated. One of the comedians told the press "it could have been worse,it could have been Alkaida" , I don't think that will go well with the police chieff.

Seriousness and self-importance is the main characteristic of dictatorships. You can't laugh at a dictatorship.

The comedians will be taken to court now, they may end up in jail for breeching this and that and the other one too.  Just like in Argentina during the military dictatorships, only in English.

LAUGHTER VERBOTEN!!!!

(....come to Australia  Pik Botha, all is forgoten..)

in vino veritas
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2007, 10:53:30 AM »

Didn't some of those Drs. of death from London have pals down under? Masquerading as an Al Qaeda hit squad what a yolk. Strange how people can be so very touchy about that. Comedic geniuses can do prison shows in quatmo.
elportenito1

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »

luee:  Commedy, a hard job in Australia:

"The NSW Police Minister, David Campbell, and the Police Commissioner, Andrew Scipione, lambasted The Chaser over the highly embarrassing security breach, claiming that they put themselves and their crew in danger from being shot.

But Licciardello said he didn't believe highly trained police would have "taken pot shots at a guy dressed up like Osama bin Laden".

"The footage we've got shows that the police weren't too worried - some of them were laughing.

"We have got more faith in the Police Minister's snipers than he does."

The following is the article in today's Sydney Morning Herald:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/chaser-pair-thought-gag-would-fail/2007/09/11/1189276719718.html

in vino veritas
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2007, 08:48:54 AM »

Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling the situation with Iraq?

Oh, I think he's doing a fine job. Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfSwS4OO51w
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2007, 08:51:31 AM »

Ayatollahs got no reason
Ayatollahs got no reason
Ayatollahs got no reason
To live

They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Ayatollahs
Don't want no Ayatollahs
Don't want no Ayatollahs
Round here

Ayatollahs are just the same
As you and I
(A Fool Such As I)
All men are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's A Wonderful World)

Ayatollahs got nobody
Ayatollahs got nobody
Ayatollahs got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Don't want no Ayatollahs
Don't want no Ayatollahs
'Round here

They come from Qom
tell you they're always right
They have a magic book
so don't bother to fight
They'll chop off your fingers
They'll hang you high
only safety is for them to die
They hate all moderns
They've built a nuke
Its enough to make you want to puke
Don't want no Ayatollahs
Don't want no Ayatollahs
"Round here.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2007, 08:37:31 AM »

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/circello

I am writing you today, not asking for forgiveness for what I decided to do, but to give you an idea of what brought me to that decision to leave the Army and speak out against the Occupation. Though some will claim I left for other reasons and will try to force the discussion away from the facts and at the same time attempt to assassinate my character with half truths and out right lies, these are the facts. If later we wish to get into more of my personal life, we can do that: I have no fear of it.

I will first like to say that I am no longer a member of the United States Armed Forces. When I left the military on Easter morning, April 2007, I have officially resigned from service to that military. There are no ties between myself and an oppressive military regime set on occupying groups of impoverished indigenous people...
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2007, 02:53:14 AM »

Yes I had similar feelings during the Vietnam era.  But I joined a reserve unit and served my six years without action even though I was totally against that war. But in those ancient times there was no choice or an all volunteer army. The Viet Cong never came to US soil to kill innocent civilians nor did their leaders call for death to America.

Frankly I do not understand how you can modernize and democratize the primitives. Saddam was toppled hang a sharp right and on to Teheran, terror command central. Another two week war, another toppled mangod and no more threats.

Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2007, 02:25:49 PM »

I had a cabbie from Iraq when visiting St. Louis a few weeks ago.  I asked him what he thought of the occupation.

He spoke english very well, and told us that he had lived in Iraq until about 6 years ago.  He supported the war.  He described the Husseinity as the hell I somewhat imagined.

There's also a family of Iraqis who live in my apartment complex and have migrated recently to America.  They too, support the war.

Just thought I'd drop that.

I doubt anyone will ever have a chance to hear about something like that in the media.

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2007, 03:14:16 PM »

Uri,

If these two people support the war, what are they doing migrating to America? Why don't they stay and help duke it out? And, out of curiousity, what end do they expect from the war in Iraq? How will we know when we have achieved our "goals"?
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2007, 03:19:24 PM »

We didn't get into the finer details, cheezo.

Both exchanges lasted less than 5 minutes.

And I would imagine that both gentlemen preferred America's democracy to Hussein's "rape rooms".

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: