Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 23, 2018, 10:42:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Russia and Eastern Europe  (Read 1731 times)
elportenito1

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 09:02:32 AM »

ZIVIJO PARTIZANI!!!!!

in vino veritas
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 06:45:04 AM »

There have been several waves of Russians settling in the Baltics, dating back to the late 18th century, when Russia annexed the Baltics and partitioned Poland.  The question of citizenship is a very complex issue since many Russians consider themselves first and foremost Russian and have little or no allegiance to the Baltics outside of their residency.  Estonia and Latvia never had any independence prior to 1918, subject to one nation-state or another.  Lithuania had a monarchy dating back to the 13th century and then a joint kingdom with Poland from the 16th through 18th centuries, which was conquered and divided by the Russians and Germans.  Nevertheless, Russia and then the Soviet Union tried to deny the Baltics ever had any independence, claiming the countries as their territories.  Hardline Russian conservatives continue to view the Baltics as part of a greater Russia, refusing to recognize their independence.  So, in asking your questions around the Baltic states, you should ask Russians whether they even consider themselves Balts or Russians who happen to be living in Baltic states?

I know from experience that many "Russians" living outside of Russia proper have two passports/IDs. Tatarstan for instance is really at odds with the Russians living there and has been trying to strongarm the Russians to be integrated into Tatar schools. For years and years there were separate schools there. And muslim Tatarstan has been harrassing the Eastern Orthodox Church there too. The were one of the few republics like Chechnya that weren't "allowed" to form their own nation such as Kazakstan, Ukraine, Belarus and others were. Tatarstan however is unique in that it happens to be completely surrounded by Russia proper.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:52:41 AM by CaptainCargo » Logged

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 09:44:15 AM »

Hello Captain,

The same is true in Lithuania.  There are Lithuanian, Russian and Polish schools, each taught in their separate languages.  Of course, there are a lot of children from mixed couples, so the line has long been blurred, but there are those Russians and Poles living in Lithuania who prefer to send their kids to schools that speak their languages and the country accomodates them.  Lithuania has even granted the Romas their own primary and secondary school in Vilnius.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 07:01:03 AM »

I see Russia staked its claim for the Arctic,

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070920/world/russia_arctic

I don't see how an extension of its continental shelf means anything, since the Arctic has been around a lot longer than Russia has.  By that logic the US should be able to lay claim to most of the Northern Atlantic Ocean.  It is a joke for the UN to even consider such claims.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »

Wait till they hit oil!  Just kidding...or, am I?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »

You know, the more i look at that Duchovny babe, the more I feel sure that i know her from some place. I just haven't put my finger on it as yet. She really resembles somebody that I know. Oh, I got it, it is somebody I've watched perform a lot.

Rachel Griffiths as Brenda Chenowith.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 03:41:11 AM »

Wait till they hit oil!  Just kidding...or, am I?

Of course, that's what it's all about, but how does the Arctic being an extension of the same continental shelf Russia happens to be sitting on, justify their claim for the sea bottom?  This is patented nonsense.  By international law, a country's soverignty extends 200 miles out to sea, with adjustments made according to shared boundaries.  This includes the bottom of the sea, as I understand.  Years ago the Antarctic was chopped up by superpowers, and I imagine that will be the case with the Arctic sea bed.  Russia sticking a flag on the sea bed of the North Pole means diddly squat.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »

That's exactly what I had in mind, remembering the Antarctic exploration record but I didn't want to be so bold as to go into that picture as I had visualized. Nontheless we ourselves, in some inter-related US administrations, have investigated the extension of the continental shelf in Southeast Asia. I understand the evidence for this is in Daniel Patrick Moynihan's memoires and I've pondered why I haven't made a big effort to read that book as in:"is it worth it"? , just to do it before Babs censors it?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 08:21:20 AM »

What gets me, maddy, is if the same amount of energy were spent on seeking alternative energy sources, there would be no need to drill into the fragile Arctic.   I'm stunned that the UN would even entertain such claims.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 09:04:59 AM »

While there is much talk about amending the constitution to allow Putin to run for a third term, he has apparently set his sights on the Duma itself, hoping to control the parliament with a political party of his creation.  Of course, he has to put in a proxy for President, so that he can get the necessary legislation pushed through that would invest more power in the Duma so that he can assume the same authority he has enjoyed for the past 8 years.
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 12:23:25 PM »

The new Russia and the republic of the mangods are allied in a quest for fire. Someone show them the way before modern civilization goes up in a cloud of smoke, please.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 07:06:36 AM by luee » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 04:43:48 AM »

Well, there is a lot shaking in Russia these days.  Putin seems to have secured himself the seat of Prime Minister and put a proxy into the president's seat who will sign power back over to the Duma, so that Vlad can continue to call all the shots.  The beauty of the plan is that he can say he is bringing Russia closer in line with Europe's parliamentary system, while securing power indefinitely.  I wonder if he is getting advice from his good pal, Gerhard Schröder.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

Dzimas, what's your take on this one; or, rather, in diplomatic terms, what do you make of this  latest ripple across the pond. As I read the announcement in the post for Sunday( and continued to the follow-up article, I find the alignment off as if something topical is being avoided?)

"Latvia asks Yard for help in billionaire huntLatvian police have approached Scotland Yard for help with an inquiry into the disappearance in suspicious circumstances of a Russian-born billionaire. Leonid Rozhetskin, who is a strong critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin, vanished from his £1m home just outside the Latvian capital Riga a week ago. Traces of his blood were found in his home and in his 4x4 car. The Latvian authorities have indicated that they suspect London-based Russian agents of involvement." (Mail on Sunday)
People: Georgian billionaire died 'of natural causes'

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,682,georgian-billionaire-died-of-natural-causes,17643

Between the quotation marks was from the front page of above thefirstpost for Sunday, March 23,2008; "People" refers to the section which continues the first remarks.

I shall go look for the recommended Mail, today's date.  Well, maybe it does make sense after all; I shall understand in case you don't want to reply to an impertinent question.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »

It is horrors trying to find the news in a British newspaper! But here it is in total, far more complicated than the British are likely to resolve:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=542412&in_page_id

KGB plot fears as London oligarch vanishes and traces of blood are found in his mansion
By DANIEL BOFFEY, CHRISTOPHER LEAKE and PETER ALLEN - More by this author » Last updated at 14:00pm on 23rd March 2008
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 04:30:15 PM »

But, talk about Eastern Promises! Sheesh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: