Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 04:53:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Middle East  (Read 1263 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:05:56 PM »

Discuss Middle Eastern politics.
teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »

Discuss Middle Eastern politics.

Well -- let there be at least one post here, given the situation in Gaza and the West-Bank -- Mahmoud Abas finally thrown total support by Israel and the West in a probably too-late effort to stave off Islamist Hamas.
teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:26:39 AM »

This is a helpful article -

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/world/middleeast/17assess.html?hp
teddy174c

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »

The lead up to Abbas's move:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2104858,00.html

Wolverine

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 02:22:31 AM »

7 more kids killed by US  Air Force in Afghanistan. Why don't they take those planes away from those idiots until they know how (when) to use them?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 02:08:20 AM »

Pretty tough region to fly in.  Just ask the Russians.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 02:11:08 AM »

I am glad to see the EU will finally unfreeze money to the Palestinian state.  It was ridiculous to hold back funds with the election of Hamas.  After all, Sinn Fein turned out to be more reasonable once engaged at the political table.  A lot of senseless violence has occurred since the EU, US and Israel withheld money, plunging Palestine into a civil war. 
Wolverine

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 01:59:44 AM »

Pretty tough region to fly in.  Just ask the Russians.

Whatever. Even the lapdog Karzai says the Americans are idiots to be trying to kill a terrorist by lobbing missiles into residential houses. It's a damn pity the US Military now seems to be composed of Video Game Arcade whackos who think you just press 're-set' and all begins with a clean slate.

Who's going to start a movement to force the US to destroy their nuclear weapons (before these cowboys get to use them)?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 03:18:21 AM »

Wolverine, I don't think the Americans should be there either.  The restoration of Afghanistan has been an abysmal failure.  Bush has totally diverted the focus from where it should be, the Palestine/Israel crisis.  Unable to deal with it, he chose to pursue other demons, and has saddled the US with two major quagmires that have no resolutions in sight.  And now I hear the military is actively thinking about dropping defoliants on the poppy fields, further echoing their miserable failure in Vietnam.  Anyway you slice it, these have been two failed missions.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:46:58 AM »

The eternal optimist:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070724/ts_nm/palestinians_blair_dc
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 12:02:57 PM »

Defoliants on the poppy fields?  My God Amighty.  It's true.  We never learn.  We should make the poppies legal.  Let legitimate pain reliever businesses buy the crops.  That does two things right away.  Takes the leverage away from the Taliban insurgents (and some away from the warlords), and puts money in the pockets of Afghan farmers (most Afghans are engaged in some sort of agricultural endeaver.)  People are less likely to engage in malarky when they have full bellies and feel safe.  Americans go home unless involved in rebuilding of some sort.  Close the illegal, secret prisons, put away the firepower (of whatever kind) and really get with some peace building.  There is hardly an Afghan left alive that remembers when there wasn't war.

And, let Karzai stand or fall on his own.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 06:20:13 PM »

Defoliants on the poppy fields?  My God Amighty.  It's true.  We never learn.  We should make the poppies legal.  Let legitimate pain reliever businesses buy the crops.  That does two things right away.  Takes the leverage away from the Taliban insurgents (and some away from the warlords), and puts money in the pockets of Afghan farmers (most Afghans are engaged in some sort of agricultural endeaver.)  People are less likely to engage in malarky when they have full bellies and feel safe.  Americans go home unless involved in rebuilding of some sort.  Close the illegal, secret prisons, put away the firepower (of whatever
kind) and really get with some peace building.  There is hardly an Afghan left alive that remembers when there wasn't war.

And, let Karzai stand or fall on his own.

I have always for the last 37 years advocated the saving of the poppy fields, after the eradication of Southeast Asia's Pharmaceutical supply (what they have done of course is simply ship us the contaminated product of this area in trade as a food supply in every grocery and supermarket in the US, on the shelf in cans, and over at the fish counter which is why I always ask "Which gulf did you say these shrimp[or whatever] came from?").

They keep yammering visa vis the State Department that the "terrorists only use it to buy weapons, therefore it must be destroyed.";but, to me,
"fancy pants" Donald Rumsfeld formerly at Defense carries pharmaceutical stock in this country, so you tell me what the jig-saw puzzle is about?  My attitude has always been, we are going to need this stuff when the shit goes down ala Tom Lehr  or was it Tom Lear? Either way, we are just not covered, by this righteousness.

As to your almost end comment,"There is hardly an Afghan left alive that remembers when there wasn't war." One day last winter going into Spring, I found myself writing to the the darn shop at nytimes.com, the photos, where they sell the picture of The Girl with Blue Eyes (no doubt they take their cut from marketing what is copyrighted by a photographer from National Geographic), this was born out in a program they did on where she is now, as mother of several and she never smiles because the bombs still drop, her husband is a baker with a tandoori oven and she takes the kids with her up to her field-garden for what they eat.

I asked the nytimes. shopkeeper or said,"I hope you are sending some of the profit from sales, of-- The Girl with Blue Eyes,to her.  Of course, they never answered. It is a very popular picture. Okantaleonard and I first discussed this back in Western European forum with ohfuchs(who is by the way with a pharmaceutical company in Switzerland)who has changed names for the present forums at Exiles when occasionally posting, probably in years 2003,2004?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 06:29:04 PM »

Dzimas re:#8

I was under the impression that Bush had handed this off to our allies, the care and feeding and defending of Afghanis by the British military (sorry,UK? I'm OK); of course, Mr. Blair  is no longer a power there. There is no there, there anymore as far as London. thantopsy could use your input, tickets to selling of the seats on the board of polling place votes is going faster than fresh cut sugar cane. Is Bob feeling better, or worse? He may crash and burn,if sorting does not happen quickly.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 12:45:37 AM »

Maybe it is the pharmaceutical companies who are behind the bombing of the poppy fields?  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the story a few weeks back.  Jesus, how quickly we forget.  I believe the US also threatened Bolivian cocoa fields when Evo Morales came to power.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 12:51:11 AM »

I was a bit stunned by length of the voting ballot in American history as well.  But, then I guess weezo believes in fairness and transcribed every book that had been mentioned the past two weeks so as not to leave anyone out. Bob seems to be holding up fine.  It is amazing how long he has served as the anchor of the Am History forum.

Anyway, in regard to the ME, I find it interesting that the British press is no longer treating Hamas like a pack of rogues and is actually trying to balance their reporting.  If only CNN would do the same.  Hamas has long been a two-headed front, like Fatah, with a domestic and military wing.  They've done so much work in helping people out at the grass roots level that it is little wonder that they won the last election, and were able to so easily drive Fatah out of Gaza.  Fatah, as BBC correctly noted, is led by returned exiles and has long had a high and mighty tone when it comes to Palestinian politics.  Maybe Blair can cut through some of the hostilities, but I would think Carter has the advantage in the region, particularly in dealing with Palestine.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: