Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 04:58:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who of these early season surprises will finish with the best season?
Jason Kendall - 0 (0%)
Bill Hall - 0 (0%)
Gabe Kapler - 1 (100%)
Mike Jacobs - 0 (0%)
Nate McLouth - 0 (0%)
Mark Reynolds - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 2782 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:29:35 PM »

Who will win the World Series this year?
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 03:16:31 PM »

The Red Sox -- of course!

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
sonora

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:12:47 PM »

Cards all the way.

Si se puede!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:02:18 PM »

Did anyone watch the Cubs-Cardinals game on WGN yesterday?   Maybe they had good reason for firing Stone and Caray for being too critical, maybe they didn't, I don't know.  All I know is that Brenly and the other new guy didn't even give Mark Derosa one ounce of criticism for not running out a wind-blown fly ball that unexpectedly dropped in fair territory.

Derosa should have been standing on third, but instead ended up with a single.  This happened in the bottom of the 9th or 10th inning of a tie game, that the Cubs would ultimately lose on a Pujols HR.  It wasn't a clear-cut "Derosa lost the game" situation, but still, if Derosa is on third base instead of first base in that situation, maybe the outcome changes, who knows?

In any event, it's ridiculous that the announcers didn't take Derosa to task for not running it out.  Sure, the ball clearly looked like it was going to be 10 rows deep in the stands in foul territory, and the crazy wind blew it fair, but still - that's no excuse for not running it out, and there's no excuse for the announcers not calling Derosa on it.

sonora

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:16:59 PM »

We were following it on our crackberries as we traveled CAE-DFW so we didn't get to hear any commentary.

Si se puede!
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 02:56:16 PM »

Pretty good job by NY hiking Daisuke's ERA from 2.70 to 4.00

A few handle hits, agreed.

Nice to see the poor bottom of our oder come through.  Yeah, I can hear Kay today - "well, I toild you the Red Sox would probably hit THIS weekend"

All in all, a great weekend - a nice easing of the Mahnstahhh into the rivalry - and yes - a busting of the sub 2 ERA dream, so it seems (a 27 inning scoreless streak would put Matsuzaka right at 2.00)

Brilliant at times, befuddled, humbled at others:

4 starts

3 Quality starts

12 runs of support

12 ER allowed

31 K

25 hits (great ratio)

6 BB

ONWARD, with great pride and optimism.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:07:56 AM »

REgarding your "great weekend", I am assuming that you weren't too happy with the Mets choking away big games vs the Braves?

As for the Sox "Big Weekend", anything short of a sweep given the Y's current situation, would have had to be disappointing. Sox need to take 2 of 3 minimum this weekend to demonstrate their true superiority. Otherwise,
doubt will creep in.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »

Sox need to take 2 of 3 minimum this weekend to demonstrate their true superiority. Otherwise,
doubt will creep in.

it depends who's starting for the Ys.

They still got a killer line-up. And my rule of thumb, "good teams win 2 of 3 at home" usually works.

btw, RSN and doubt go hand in hand.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 11:20:17 AM »

Good teams win 2 of 3 at home, if they have pitching, which the Yankees don't have at the moment. Even with Wang coming back, he's not 100% and Mussina  isn't back until next week. Pettitte? Not the Pettitte of old...

Yanks are hurtin' Joe Torre wouldn't have managed last weekend the way he did, if they weren't heading into panic mode.

Sox--if they are the Mahnstah that many fans think they are, have to put some real pain into the Y-hides this weekend.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 11:35:41 AM »

Good teams win 2 of 3 at home, if they have pitching, which the Yankees don't have at the moment.

I generally agree. If a team doesn't have pitching its hard to really call them a good team. But that line-up can overcome a lot of shortcoming in the rotation, and they will beat a lot of just so/so teams

I assume that the Ys will have a healthy Wang soon, same with Moose, and Andy is still a good pitcher, even if he's not what he was. 

The sox got holes too. Mostly offensive ones. But if their starters stay healthy, they have an important edge over the Ys.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:39:04 AM by bankshot1 » Logged

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 11:49:58 AM »

The Yanks can win in the regular season with that offense.  The question is whether it can win in the post.  So far it hasn't

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 11:53:46 AM »

Hunter's gift of four bottles of Dom Perignon, which he had delivered to the Royals clubhouse this past weekend, was meant as a reward for the Royals sweeping the Detroit Tigers last September, allowing the Twins to come from behind to win the American League Central. The gift fulfilled a promise Hunter made last fall.

But baseball has rules about this sort of thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2847416

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »

Re:  Mets choking to Braves:

Green's been good.  He ralphed that one badly.

And I expect to lose when Willie trusts Schoenweis as he did.  Better he finds out now.

Pretty good start for the blue and orange crush
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 10:32:21 AM »

Joe Borowski is now 8-8 in save opportunities... with an e.r.a. of 10.00.  I'm already giving him the Wickman treatment, meaning I turn the channel and pray for the best.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »

Pretty good start for the blue and orange crush

Agreed. But there should be some cause for concern blowing two series to the Braves in the early going...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: