Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 12:01:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The Universe  (Read 1004 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:12:15 PM »

Discuss the latest news in space exploration.
gisterme

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »

Well, are we going to try this again?   Looks like Stephen Hawking finally got to take his zero G flight!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6594821.stm
fartonbink

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 11:01:08 AM »

As someone who has bouts of motion sickness, I congratulate Prof. Hawking for not vomiting.
fartonbink

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:46:12 AM »

In space, no one can hear you puke.
kitp

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »

I was very interested in the NYT article on the Cern Collider. Many years ago I was at a conference where they were explaining the parceing out of code and specs around the world for parts. Now it is a reality. Amazing!
KitP
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »

The advent of opportunity to smoosh particles against each other with greater energy, thanks to the new LHC at CERN, prompted me to read UC-Irvine physics professor and SF writer Gregory Benford's 1998 novel, "Cosm," in which another universe is created by means of such a particle collider.  Though his characters are a bit uneven (he attempts to write from the POV of a black woman, and reveals areas of ignorance apparent even to this white boy), the concepts are, as always with Benford, riveting and well extrapolated.  And Benford always does a good job giving us a sense of the politics and clashing egos that goes on behind the scenes in contemporary science, a solid case of "writing what you know."   

Robert Sawyer's "Flashforward" is also a good read in the subgenre of "What Did the Cyclotron Cough Up this Time?"  It is far more fanciful, but better written than Benford's novel.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »

Do drunken astronauts pose a threat to the universe?  The 12 Hour Bottle-to-Throttle rule is a bad one.  You can still be not sober after 12 hours, at least not sober enough to be piloting a jet or rocket.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »

It is interesting that the long lasting conspiracy theory of there not having been a moon shot is still so alive today.  Of course, playing in the conspirasists hands is the real fact that the plans for the " One step for man, one step for mankind" vehicle were destroyed.  Yep. GONE.  So that now there is talk of another moon landing and the vehicle to do it has to come from scratch.  Curious, no? 
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:50:11 PM »

Barton,

Since the astronauts are typically quite healthy, I would suspect they don't go on drinking binges before a flight. Also, until they reach the space station, they aren't doing much piloting anyway. For a single social drink, 12 hours is more than enough time to be ready for work. I really don't think a heavy or binge drinker could make it through the psychological screenings to become an astronaut. It is a smoke screen that is in the news to keep us from noticing something we aren't supposed to be noticing, like the death toll in Iraq, or some new rights that the current administration is taking from us.

liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 03:13:46 PM »

Holy conspiracy theory Batman!

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 08:08:21 PM »

If you have the capacity to get the Science Channel, you may find it of interest that this evening they have a few hours planned of exploring the Solar System, the show now (8pm) is the controversy over dropping Pluto as a planet.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 09:40:01 AM »

I think Pluto could avert some of the negative spin (pun intended) attendant on its demotion by avoiding such demeaning nomenclature as "dwarf" planet...maybe Little Planet or Planet Lite.  My feeling is, if the Little Prince could live on a planet whose diameter was only three or four times his own height, then the IAU has no business messing with the categorization of something so much bigger than that.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »

Thats Le Petite Prince to you

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
sevrox

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 11:21:24 AM »

I need at least 2 shots of Maker's Mark and 3 microbrew drafts prior to shoehorning myself into a cylindrical tube (are there any other types) that will propel itself at around 500 mph about 30K feet above sea level, so I can sympathize with drunken astronauts because they're going a bit higher.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 04:32:03 AM »

I personally could not of sound mind endorse any astronaut that didn't hammer a bunch of beers 8-12 hrs. before launch.  That sounds about right.  You need that edge to PUSH THE BUTTON.  After that you hang on and your cheeks go a little floppy and then you yack and vacuum it up, and it's LOL, welcome to zero gravity gents, I heard we had some motion sickness...affirmative sir, heaving and achievieng, etc., excellent, nerves or Vodka??, we'll CALL IT NERVES LIEUTENANT, [pukes again], YES SIR, LIEUTENANT NERVES REPORTING FOR DUTY.  BOOTY?  NEGATIVE, SIR, DU-TY.  WELL DONE, SOLDIER, REPORT TO ME after you clean up and take that space walk where you fix that thing.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: