Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 25, 2018, 09:32:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The Universe  (Read 1341 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 12:48:09 PM »

Is it true that champagne fizzes more in zero-gee and gets your drunker?

"In space, they can't hear you belch."

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »

Soda Bottles:

Seen to collect a number of plastic bottles that once held soda, juice, and even milk. Wondering what I could do to re-cycle the plastic. Can it be melted? Into what kind of mold? At what temperature? Indoors or out?

Anne
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 03:21:13 AM »

Rinse all those plastic bottles out and leave them at a recyling center.  I understand you live in the country and most probably don't have a recyling program.  But some chain grocery stores do and most modest sized towns have SOMEplace to leave recycle material--paper, cardboard (not pizza boxes that have soaked in grease,) steel and aluminum cans, plastic (not styrofoam).  Just make sure the items are well rinsed.

Our recycling here in Dallas is great because you just throw everything in together, you don't have to separate it.  After you start recycling, you will be surprised at how much less "trash" you have.

Remember, those plastic bags they put your purchases in last 600 years.  Please don't send them to the town dump.  Put them in recycle--SOMEWHERE.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 07:29:49 AM »

Donot,

You are right, we live in the country, and have to drive all trash, including anything recycled about five miles to a dump station. We have our choice of two dump centers both about equi-distant from home, one has a recycling bin, one doesn't. Depends on what else we have to do on trash day which dumpster site we go to. If we are headed to Blackstone, we use the one with the recycle bins. If we are headed out for cigs, goodies, and fuel, we go to the one with everything in the same dumpster. We do have a separate trash can in the house for recyclebles. Started out with just drink cans, but have started including the more occassional plastic bottles.

I am somewhat of a crafter, and was trying to think of ways I could recycle some of the materials myself. I know that drink cans crushed up make an excellent (and lightweight) replacement for gravel in a deep planting container. But, that isn't enough of a use to use up the cans we empty.

I am trying to think of crafts that can reuse the recyclables on a home basis. A man on the way to the beach makes air-plane looking wind catchers from old beer cans (soda cans do not seem to work as well for him, or his neighbors would rather empty the beer cans).

I am thinking of putting styrofoam meat trays from the grocery store through the dishwasher to get them clean, then save them to use to cut out holiday ornaments that can be hung outside as well as inside.

But, while I can think of things that can be molded from old soda bottles and juice bottles, I do not know what temp is needed to melt them and remold them into toys or household knickknacks.

And, I realized last night, this should have been put on the environment list instead of the universe list, but here it landed.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 11:47:34 AM »

Trash is a problem for the entire universe, hence:  total relevance = 100%.

I recycle about everything and this has resulted in my total divorced male living alone trash being around one small grocery bag per month.  One thing that helps is I avoid over-packaged stuff and packages, like milk in cartons, that are simply not recyclable.  And there are occasional plastics that are not no. 1 or no.2 type, for which there is no local recycler.  But most plastic containers are now some form of polyethylene, i.e. 1 or 2.   It really helps, in a weird way, that my inner ear requires me to avoid a lot of salt, which means I can't get away with buying frozen microwavable entrees, pizza, etc.  If you end up cooking  your own stuff, there's a lot less trash resulting.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »

Weezo, DO NOT, I repeat, do not melt plastics on your own.  Do not use plastics to reheat foods.  Recycled plastics are usually shredded and turned into something else, or added to something else.   There is a company (I forget the name) that USES recycled plastic bottles to bottle there own organic fertilizers (natural fertilizers) and so when you see them on retail shelves the bottles don't match although the liquid volume does (the bottles are washed and relabled.)  Melted plastic gives off toxic fumes and heated plastic leaches toxins into whatever is heated in them.  Note: other than beer, you need to check the corn fructose/corn syrup in those canned soda drinks you are chug-a-lugging.  Awareness should cause you and your hubby to stop drinking them (diet drinks notwithstanding.)

Barton, as part of the divorced men's club, I too have less trash now that I recycle.  I'm glad to hear you eat less or no processed foods because of the salt content.  This keeps you away from the corn syrup/corn fructose that's in those same processed foods and is so detrimental to the health of peoples of the world.  The gods damn ConAgra to eternal hell.
beso1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

I have seen businesses form with basis in recycling. One guy makes roof tiles of garbage bags and clear plastic. Another makes outdoor furniture. Aluminum can recycling has gone on for years, huge arcs melt cans into ingots. Dry-zone golf courses place split tires below the surface to retard rapid water filtration.

I rarely agree with environmentalists, but on this one, I have to.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »

Beso, do you have a link for that guy making roof tiles out of garbage bags and clear plastic?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »

Beso,

While you are at it, I'd like to know more about making the lawn furniture from recycled plastics. Does it involve melting and a mold? What material is the mold made of?
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 12:00:59 PM »

Check it out:

The image, taken last month, reveals at least four avalanches of fine ice and dust breaking off from a steep cliff and settling on the slope below. The cascade kicked up massive debris clouds, with some measuring more than 590 feet across.

Lucky shot, or is Mars more active than previously thought?

linky thing

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
obertray

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »

And what is it about Mars that it must be viewed on its side? Since when do dust clouds go across and not up?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »

Robert,

If you want the dust cloud to go up, d/l the picture and turn it 90 degrees in your photo-editing software. It's a matter of relativity. Not all of us need to see things in an up-and-down mode.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »

There is no up and down in space.
obertray

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »

Donotremove,

But when you are on Mars, you are not in space and therefore there is an up and down again.

Weezo,

Speaking of dustups... yes, thank you, But then why wouldn't the news agencies have done the same? I saw this picture on the Teevee this morning and they had it sideways too in fact they made comment that it should fit on your widescreen.

Some people accept any shoddy workmanship and some people say WTF?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 05:16:50 PM »

Ober,

Some people would rather see the picture exactly as it was taken and do any editing themselves. That's why I suggested you do your own editing so that it would seem "right" to you. For myself, I have no problem viewing the picture as it was taken and would probably want to dismiss it if it had been editing from the original to make it more "seemly".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: