Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 05:57:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Origins of Man (and Woman)  (Read 1582 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:12:51 PM »

Discuss the origins of humans.
obertray

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »

I hear you want an EV O LU TION
For uum You Knooow
We all want to spread the word.

Yur lookin for some Rev o Lu tion
yeah but you knoooow
this here punchbowl needs a turd.

Cause when we are talkin about the  Chicken egg
your going to tell us to play nice anyway

And you know it's gonna take
all night
before a bit of the bait
we bite!

YEEEEAAAAHHHHH, no.

So there's a chicken and an egg in bed and the chicken is lighting up a cigarette and the egg says "I guess that answers THAT question!"

What of the origins of man?

Well, I'm originally from New York. Does that help?

I do however like trying to understand the Adam and Eve myth. I think that Eve is the Evil one because she was the one that said, "Why don't we just stay here and plant a garden?"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:39:14 PM by obertray » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »

Ober,

What is it about you that you must be judgemental. I can go all day without needing to decide who was evil, but for you, it is the first thing you choose to post.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 04:36:14 PM »

Humans were purely accidental. From primordal soup.
obertray

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »

Ober,

What is it about you that you must be judgemental. I can go all day without needing to decide who was evil, but for you, it is the first thing you choose to post.

Weezo,

But once you've decided!

You do recognize Adam and Eve right Weezo? You have heard of them, right? I don't want to make assumptions about what you know (and couldn't begin to comprehend all that you don't). It's not just me who thinks that she is who brought evil into the human experience. She's very Pandora. You might say that she is the pan Dora.

You do know about the serpent, and the fruit of knowledge, right? Garden of Eden, cast out, Cain kills Abel, original sin you've heard of these things right? It's a fascination story, please let me know if you've never heard of them, you'll be the first person I have ever met (that was able to communicate in English) who didn't and by that you would be a fascinating study.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »

Ober,

Of course I've read and studied the allegories about the Garden of Eden. Do I accept them as literal, no. Do I think they represent the beginning of mankind, no. Mankind existed, and was spreading out from its beginning in Africa for a long time between the emergence of the first "human being" and the alleged dating of the Garden of Eden which is supposed to have taken place in what is now Iran.

Now that you know of my knowledge of your little story, tell me how much you know about the emergence of human beings beginning with Australopithecus Africanus through the Cro-Magnon man?

obertray

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:05:37 PM »

Well the rest of the species developed a sense of humor, but apparently it didn't take in some .

Tell me now that it isn't usual that when someone opens a forum about origins of man that it doesn't usually devolve into an Evolution v. Creationism stupid fest.

Meanwhile, the mythology of Adam and Eve is very interesting and was a part of Jared Diamonds' Guns Germs and Steel .  In any case, for you to hop on me because I called Eve Evil is pretty funny, except that it has become very old very fast.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 06:16:26 PM »

Yeah, it was like your assertion that Utley was a liar. That got old even faster than your prediliction for assigning "evilness" in opening a discussion.

As to you having a sense of humor, it has not yet been apparent, so it would be really, really helpful if you would mark your humor with smileys or some other indication that you are making a funny.

obertray

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »

No, what would be realy helpful is if you just put me on your ignore list.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 08:03:29 PM »

Ober,

I don't maintain an "ignore" list, and you aren't important enough to any of the discussions to make me change my way of enjoying these forums. If you want, you can ignore me, but then you would not get to enjoy my pearls of wisdom except as quoted by others. Your loss.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »

...each society illustrates a distinctive body size

... despite variances even within single families

"So your average Agta (an indigenous Philippine group) is much smaller than your average Inuit (an indigenous Arctic dwelling group)."

My initial reaction is "duh!" The Inuit would benefit from a smaller surface area/volume ratio while a society that lives mainly off the sea would select for classic swimmer-type morphology. Maybe that's not the case, though...

Analysis of average adult heights across the world places Croatian and Dutch individuals towards the top of the height spectrum. Pastoralist groups that have long been involved in nomadic tending of livestock also tend to be tall.

So... why would the Dutch and Croats top the charts? There are obvious reasons why the Masai would be tall, but the selective reasons behind the stereotype Croatian "Hulk" eludes me.

across all hunter-gatherer groups, body size directly relates to population density. The bigger the population, especially within island or island-like communities, the smaller the people will be.

Hasn't Holland been densely populated for a long time? So long, in fact, that they've forced themselves into what used to be the sea?

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
GrannyM

Delenda est Carthago

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 09:25:27 PM »

Hi there.  Hope this works.

My Dad was the descendant of Dutchmen, and was 5 foot 3.  I'm a bit shorter than that.  My Mom, however, was the descendant of Brits, and was 4 ft  5 or so. 

Testing . . . .

Absurdity, n.: A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 09:31:17 PM »

As you know GM, a single data point doth not a study make... and they tracked only females:

"We focused on female adult body mass because we wanted to relate the variation back to female reproduction,"

I have to wonder about their speculations on causality.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
GrannyM

Delenda est Carthago

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »

As you know GM, a single data point doth not a study make... and they tracked only females:

I have to wonder about their speculations on causality.

They are speculations.  Speculations are fun; you don't have to worry about pesky old facts. 

Absurdity, n.: A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »

Yeah, there's that, and the fact that if you speculate enough, you might live long enough to see one of your speculations validated!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: