Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 07:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Origins of Man (and Woman)  (Read 1181 times)
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 07:47:02 PM »

NOTA,

I've read almost all of Kurlansky's books and see other references to the Basques, but I'd have to look back in "Cod" to see what is mentioned there.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 08:07:03 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/ttv/arts.jhtml?bcpid=1358314062&bclid=1363192294&bctid=1482436596

Warning: Video of the world's heaviest man follows immediately. Not a pretty sight. Close the window fast.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 09:34:39 AM »

Holy moly! Thanks, Ponder - whoda thunkit?

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
obertray

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 11:53:49 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/ttv/arts.jhtml?bcpid=1358314062&bclid=1363192294&bctid=1482436596

Warning: Video of the world's heaviest man follows immediately. Not a pretty sight. Close the window fast.

Isn't that... Well I'm pretty sure (as in I'm positive) that the guy in the Antarctica bit is This guy, who is also famous as the world's heaviest man http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001402/

I think there is intelligent design in that evolution!
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »

Isn't that... Well I'm pretty sure (as in I'm positive) that the guy in the Antarctica bit is This guy, who is also famous as the world's heaviest man http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001402/

I didn't look close nor long enough. That stuff grosses me out.

I think there is intelligent design in that evolution!

Certainly produced creatively.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 03:03:52 PM »

Holy moly!

That would be guacamole with Swiss cheese according to Fred Sanford.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 03:22:52 PM »

Sorry. Read too fast. Thought you wuz referencing the heaviest man in the original vid. I believe you are correct, sir.
obertray

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »

Terry Jones did a great Mini-series on "ancient" scientific "inventions" (I particularly liked the one about the birth control pill in ancient Egypt IIRC it was based on crocodile poop). Actually, now that I look he did quite a few documentaries, I've added a few to my "Q" at netflix
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »

I can well believe that eating crocodile poop would greatly reduce your chances of getting pregnant.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
obertray

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »

Not sure anybody said anything about "eating"

http://www.greenguide.co.uk/files/Pure06.pdf page 22

Suppositories, supposedly.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »

Pomegranate pulp would be sweet.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »

Obertray -- you did suggest an oral route with this....

"(I particularly liked the one about the birth control PILL in ancient Egypt IIRC it was based on crocodile poop)."

obertray

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 07:48:04 PM »

Fair 'nuff.

I didn't mean to deceive.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »

I take everything with a grain of salt....or croc poop, as the case may be.  Actually, your original phrasing served me as a delightful springboard for launching my joke about girls that eat poop don't get dates and such.

Getting back to the topic, has anyone seen the Ben Stein atrocity?  some sort of fake-docu film that makes fun of evolution and, I gather, tries to make the creationists feel better about themselves while all those nasty ol' acadmic types are laughing at them.   I haven't seen it, but am wondering if this thing is getting wide distribution.  Not to indulge in positive stereotyping, but is Ben Stein really smart enough to be a Jew?

obertray

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2008, 01:48:52 PM »

Ben Stein is a smart guy. He's very knowledgeable about a broad range of subjects and he has been savvy enough to make himself a nationally recognizable figure, that's not as easy as one might think.

I just saw the first ad for the movie in the NY metro region... I'm thinking I saw it during The Daily Show, I know I saw the Algore ad with Rev Al and Rev Pat on the couch on the beach (?) during TDS but it could have been elsewhere. I don't know that I'll spend actual money to see the movie but I would like to see it, it should be tedium broken up with laughable snarkiness. the subject matter is likely to be beyond me (they're supposed to be delving into the DNA chain) but that's ok, I figure it's supposed to be beyond most people just so that Evolution "me too"ers (of which I would have to admit, I'm one of. I don't believe in Anthropomorphic God so I am somewhat forced into an "Evolution" mode. ) don't get the free pass that they (we) would like.

Is there a middle ground (or some other location) between Spaghetti god and random turn of events? I don't really even know. I can imagine a list of several other reasons that We Are That We Are (including the I Am that I Am one) but each of them try to stretch Occam's Razor.

My biggest problem with Fundies  is that they seem to more often than not be all about Funding. Like look at these Polygamists, how much is about God and how much is about the Social Security checks?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: