Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 02:51:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Food Matters  (Read 10950 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: June 01, 2008, 02:37:24 AM »

Ps. these are the dishes of rainy days, just on the verge of heat arriving with fulsome humidity, so while it feels a bit chill and damp, you start a dish like this when you  have to stay in reading, or when you would rather not be out and about  shopping too long.  You can always munch on a cup or glass filled with, or jar of: fresh carrot sticks for vitamins while cooking your beans and rice.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: June 01, 2008, 05:48:58 AM »

Drat Maddy.  I'm reading your post at 4:30 in the wee hours and you've made me want to go out to the kitchen and sling some pots and pans. It's 78° here right now and probably will not go more than one or two degrees lower before daylight.  Near 100° afternoons from now on I'll wager.  But with airconditioning, hey!, I can still cook whatever seems good.

I forget the brand, but I let those canning folks do my refried beans.  I open both ends of the can and push the beans out into a storage container.  Then I just spead the beans onto whatever--usually flour tortillas--and nuke just a tad.  Then add cheese(s) of your choice, finely shredded lettuce and onion, chopped tomato and salsa.  Roll up and hold over when you bite into it so's you don't get stuff all down the front of your shirt.

A can of refried beans doesn't last me very long.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: June 01, 2008, 07:01:14 AM »

DNR,

We are not yet to your temps. It only went to 70 last night, and will go to ninety today. We have little green tomatoes on the earliest plants we started. I still have to get potting soil to plant some of the tomatoes and the peppers. We decided to go with containers this year after last year's drought that we got only two tomatoes and no peppers from. But, as you expect, we are having a decently rainy spring at least, so they could have gone in the ground.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: June 01, 2008, 12:44:20 PM »

Madupont, sad to say, The Washington House is no longer operating.  It closed only a few months ago.  The food was good...and they also delivered.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:54:59 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: June 01, 2008, 12:46:20 PM »

Drat Maddy.  I'm reading your post at 4:30 in the wee hours and you've made me want to go out to the kitchen and sling some pots and pans. It's 78° here right now and probably will not go more than one or two degrees lower before daylight.  Near 100° afternoons from now on I'll wager.  But with airconditioning, hey!, I can still cook whatever seems good.

I forget the brand, but I let those canning folks do my refried beans.  I open both ends of the can and push the beans out into a storage container.  Then I just spead the beans onto whatever--usually flour tortillas--and nuke just a tad.  Then add cheese(s) of your choice, finely shredded lettuce and onion, chopped tomato and salsa.  Roll up and hold over when you bite into it so's you don't get stuff all down the front of your shirt.

A can of refried beans doesn't last me very long.

I know what I'm having for lunch today....yumm.  I mix the beans with hot salsa, then microwave.  Spread it onto tortillas or flatbread, depending on which I have in the house.  Or I put the beans on tortillas or flatbread and top with red peppers when I feel like less heat....a rare occurrence.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:49:00 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: June 01, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »

Sorry. But today I have to deal with Falafel and Hummus and Naan, before I lose the knack.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: June 01, 2008, 12:57:08 PM »

Sorry. But today I have to deal with Falafel and Hummus and Naan, before I lose the knack.

Sounds yummy too...I have quite good memories of making falafel with my son....the first time we tried, it was a spectacular mess.  Although, I don't make my own hummus because I live near two Arabic communities who have the formula down pat.  And when I am very lucky, my Lebanse student brings me some that she has made.  (Her recipe is quite delicious.  She adds hot chili peppers.)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: June 01, 2008, 01:38:08 PM »

weezo,

There are more than several Washington House Restaurants, I stuck the recipe slip cut-out of a Sunday newspaper (as recommended by James Beard)into one of my cookbooks and no longer recall where it is.

There is another than the NYC, out here in Pennsylvania around Bucks county that is supposed to be famous for historic reasons, quite different than culinary. Which is something you have to keep in mind in Pennsylvania.

Then suddenly it occurred to me that I usually overlook another factor, when I would go to visit my sister, I would stay at The Washington House; until she moved about a year ago. 

I had described to you in some detail the picturesque quality of Cedarburg as "a mill-town" comparable to those of New Jersey or Massachusetts, so forthwith --although there is another Washington House in West Virginia--
I thought you should see these pictures of what I had been talking about in terms of early working conditions in the mid-19th.century. Those are the mills over the waterfall.(where there used to be a nice restaurant called, Barth's at the Bridge. But times have changed as they inevitably do.)

http://www.washingtonhouseinn.com/cedarburg.html
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: June 01, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »

LOL...Madupont I don't believe Anne addressed your comment on Washington House...and the one you referred to in your earlier post  closed in March of this year.  There may be many Washinton Houses, but the one you cited in Manhattan was not part of a chain and the recipe you referred to was unique to that Washington House.

It would be far easier to put me on ignore than to pretend that you have.  That way you will not inadvertently confuse my posts with those of others and you won't feel obligated to comment on them while pretending not to.  LOL.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:48:57 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: June 01, 2008, 05:37:59 PM »

Laurie,

I was doing a "huh?" at the Washington House post. I don't think I've ever been to a Washington House and don't know where they are.

Maddie, You may want to stop putting people on ignore, if you are going to reply to them anyway. Laurie is really a nice lady, and I do not understand why you two are like oil and water.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: June 01, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »

When you click on Lhoffman's name it shows that zero people are ignoring her. I think that Maddy's post to Weezo was a mistake, that she thought it had been Weezo but it had really been Lhoffman.  I've done this a few times myself (mistakenly attributed a poster.)  No one else has?
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: June 01, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »

True enough Donotremove....just last week I confused MrUtley for Yankguy.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: June 01, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »

Anne..nice lady..thanks.  In my alternate life, I'm a hit man for the mob.  And days when business is slow, I pick up a few bucks auditing for the IRS  Cheesy

So what do you do when you're not writing or preparing for the next project?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:48:26 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: June 01, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »

Sleep .....

occasionally I load some dishes in the dishwasher and run it, or clothes in the washer and dryer and pile them up to fold and put away when I'm waiting for something to download. I live a boring life.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: June 03, 2008, 01:09:40 AM »

The Washington House reference that I made in an earlier post was a topic discussed in American History forum in which I told weezo about the mills at Cedarburg where my sister was living; I just realized when talking about the recipe that goes back a-ways( that there was a coincidence in the names of the establishments )because I think that I first tried it out in the second half of the 1960s.

When I get time, I can peruse the James Beard cookbooks to see if it pops up to compare with the directions that I gave the other night for slow cooking, and the inclusion of sherry.

The Washington House in Cedarburg is however last I saw of it, far less glitzy, and my sister rushed over before work in the morning (she did interior decor at the time with trips into Indiana and Ohio for "pieces"), to join me for brunch to which  TWH pretty much confined itself but it was excellent.  It is a stop over for business travelers coming up from Chicago on their routes and they are unused to the largess of "country cooking" in Wisconsin. Once they discover it, they keep on stopping for more.

The recipe from the New York restaurant was brought up in a post addressed to Barton. Although Lhoffman commented about the restaurant being closed, the subject changed at that point. When I remembered that there was a coincidental name, it's not odd to mention that to weezo as she had occasionally traveled there as well, going up a little further north to Sheboygan, traveling with her mother.

I just find all this fault finding really rude, it seems to happen in out of the way corners, like jumping somebody in the cloak room, at off times at that when I'm responding to a post that somebody will pick up later. In this case it was tomatoes (and beans!) with Barton.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60
  Print  

Jump to: