Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 01:52:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 13801 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2008, 05:13:47 AM »

http://media.nymag.com/fashion/08/spring/44247/

I'm trying to figure out what this is all about?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: February 24, 2008, 11:58:44 AM »

Dzimas,

If you can't figure it out, just imagine how puzzled the female of your species is each change of season  when the runways of fashion houses with the  names of renowned designers occasion photo-shoots which  The New York Times inevitably displays mystifying women as to how to effect some stunning appearance that couldn't possibly be worn in their  neighborhood ?

The Sunday Magazine section is particularly good for this ; and I believe "fashion week" has recently taken place in Manhattan  which leads to bizarre  attempts showing up at the supermarket(even in Church),as approximated  from searching the closet and the needs-to-be-thrown-away makeup drawer.

From a woman's point of view by the time that she is mature enough to catch on, the obvious  marketing even in the cosmetics industry is to  offer "colours" you no longer have around the house and/or have never before been worn at this time of year. This means sales. Certainly, they are meant to dramatically accent the clothes fashioned for the season. Last night in the cooking forum of our venue, one of the posters reminded us of what we had been wearing in the Seventies, as you can see for yourself. I can't even remember what I wore then! (I take that back, I wore quite a bit of Asian clothing as I recall, for convenience. I noticed by the posted content, that many parts of our nation and a younger age group admit to having worn clothing completely out of synch with other areas of the country. Things that had been worn perhaps an earlier decade because there was that much social-difference with the dividing line of 1968 which we recently discussed in History forum.

Which merely reminds me, you know the film is coming out: Chicago Ten. You and I may have thought of it as: Chicago Seven, but nevertheless. Also the promise of an even more hip version in which Phillip Seymour Hoffman gets to play William Kunstler. I think it was said that Sasha Baron Cohn(Borat) will be playing the other "Hoffman".)

Without a doubt, what you were looking at above, is a lingerie enticement  for the lady of the house to fill up the drawer of underthings. I have on occasion notified our friend martinbeck3 when things in the US look explicitly different(beneath it all) because various areas of South America really have produced the physical typology and the bottom line is higher as a matter of fact where women adore having something to display it in.

Back in the immediate aftermath of "1968",  just as an example of the  divisive social disorder, I had a young suburban lady come out to my  German "North Lake" farm house, to ask me what was appropriate as the offering gift ("puja") to present her Indian guru whom she had described to me  on numerous occasions (so, I knew that he was what in India was called,a "fakir").  I suggested to her the kinds of flowers and/or fruit which are acceptable.

Since, as a lady of Scandinavian heritage, she was able to sew clothes that she liked to wear, in thanks for my advice, she presented me with a garment, the kind of dress often seen in the Sixties, that turned out to be perfect where "meditation circles" gathered energy, roomy enough for sitting in lotus asana comfortably. She did however surprise me(since I am a child of the suburban area where she took up married life), when she said something, I no longer recall pertinent to
what(?),explanatory, "But, it is different for you, since you are a hippie." There was the "thinking divide" of the ideological late Sixties.

Needless to say, she came back from India, shocked at what she had seen.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: February 24, 2008, 12:00:43 PM »

Ps, Dzimas, actually, I think that is Lindsay Lohan attempting to screen test for Marilyn Monroe, if I recall the firstpost UK.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: February 24, 2008, 01:52:50 PM »

I always saw Lindsay Lohan as the Ann-Margaret type, but she seems to have the body for Marilyn Monroe.  There is something eerie about raising Marilyn from the dead like this, but I guess it makes for an interesting photo shoot.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: February 25, 2008, 10:54:52 AM »

This is going to sound very flippant but do you recall at least even a smidgen of a style that became popular in US "fashion circles" as reported in The New York Times in colorful details: The Russian Look ?

With colorful Orientalisms included, it came from ideas that Yves St.Laurent brought back from a trip there (Let's consider him the
Celebreality for today's forum in a look back at what was).  He was an astounding, seemingly-passive person who dominated Parisienne Fashion by taking up where Dior had left off.

Soviet women, on hand to guide his visit upon arrival, eventually brought up the matter, "But, what can we do (in terms of fashion)? We have nothing left, we have severe shortages, how can we be at least in some small way fashionable like women in the West today?"

It didn't take him but a few reflective minutes to reply that they must use what they have as their background and talents, for instance, they knit, don't they? Within minutes he was sketching creations, to be made at home, layers of textured draped fabric and wrappings for body and head, long skirts over boots, tunics over pants tucked into boots. "You have those wide belts, don't you?". He immediately set to work showing them how to hammer nails into leather and bend them decoratively. No one knows where in the world, he got these notions that he'd had since he was a young boy.

Nevertheless, the Paris runway that season was a shock to the waiting photographers as they discovered the richness of color displayed in the totally covered up look, the smoldering eyes of the models.  The New York Times was there like all the other ticketed representatives of the industry in the US hoping to sketch enough in their notebooks to produce knock-offs.

All I had to do was pull out the heavy woolen skirt that is wrapped from front to back around the waist leaving enough leg room for a Mongol woman to ride horse-back (made for us by Tibetans up in Vermont),wrap my head in a woolen babushka knotted above my forehead, and accessorize.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: February 26, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »

I could see another remake of La Belle et la Bête.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: February 26, 2008, 02:33:10 PM »

But, the original was so good, still comes up to contemporary standards as far as how splendidly fashioned was the Beast.

Bardem has, on the other hand, affected distinct variables of hair-styling for his roles. His carefully coiffed appearance in Malkovich's film quite different than as a dock worker in Los Lunes al Sol/Mondays in the Sun.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?storyID=18271

Farewell Fidel
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:02:54 AM by madupont » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: February 29, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,724,drudge-blows-whistle-harry-blackout,19061
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: March 04, 2008, 02:18:15 AM »

Hairy Haiku

“Harry is not so bad after all. Even so, it seems very unlikely that he'll ever be crowned King of England. Chances are he will lead a life largely bereft of meaning, plagued by paparazzi and devoid of any real sense of accomplishment. Perhaps the real trouble is that men of royal blood, by their nature, need new lands to conquer. Why not give Prince Harry a crack contingent of Gurkha fighting men and set him loose on some war-ravaged region, where he can establish his own princely state as a latter-day white rajah?”  http://thecurrent.theatlantic.com/

My dear Prince Harry—
You can be my white rajah
Any day you want…

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 03:00:44 AM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: March 04, 2008, 08:13:11 AM »

Harry, Kim Jong, Barack HUSSEIN Obama, and other stuff.

http://www.unclejayexplains.com/

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: March 04, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »

Is Vernon the one to tell Hillary to quit?

Vernon Jordan, the powerful Washington lawyer and fixer who 10 years ago found himself at the epicentre of the Monica Lewinsky storm, is back in the spotlight. If Hillary Clinton fails to win today's crucial Texas and Ohio primaries convincingly, someone has to tell her to give up. If her husband Bill doesn't have the nerve, insiders believe it will be Jordan who'll advise the couple to step aside for Barack Obama.

Jordan, now 72, has been a long and loyal friend to the Clintons. It was he who arranged a new job for Monica Lewinsky when it became imperative, following the scandal of her affair with Bill Clinton, that she disappeared. Which was why, a decade ago this very week, he was hauled before the infamous prosecutor Ken Starr to explain why he took such a personal interest in a young intern's career.

When Bill was finally forced to admit the affair, and went off with Hillary and their daughter Chelsea to Martha's Vineyard, the humiliated First Family left their holiday home for only one date - a birthday dinner with Jordan and his wife, Ann.

Not surprisingly, as one of the most powerful African-Americans in Washington, Jordan has been involved in Obama's rise to fame. Writing on the Huffington Post website last month, George Stevens Jr recounted how in 2003 he was invited to drop by at a Washington fundraiser for an up-and-coming young politician from Illinois. The young man was Barack Obama and the man whose home was used for the event was Vernon Jordan.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: March 10, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/uselection,,larry-david-fears-for-hillarys-sanity,20070
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: March 11, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »

http://www.newyorker.com/nocount/exiting.html
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: March 17, 2008, 02:46:44 PM »

March 14,1879