Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 10:36:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 8015 times)
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »

Are you saying that HATE CRIME can never be black on white?  or Gay on Straight?  I really want to understand why you defend the national media on this one.
I never said any such thing, and there is nothing in what I've posted that supports such a strange reading of my posts.  I was relying on the sherrif, who knows a holy f*** more about the circumstances than you do, who said there is no evidence of race animus.

Crap like this happens in major cities all the time.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »

While the major media outlets report on Paris, and Anna Nicole, they bury an American tragedy.

Do not click this link if descriptions of graphic violence and horror disturb you. 

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/05/16/a-horror-story-the-msm-wont-tell/

I don't know whats more shocking.  The crime or the fact that the national media ignored the story?

Both are deplorable.

Actually, there is really nothing to the media's "ignoring" the story.  Sadly, stuff like that - what actually happened, rather than the blogosphere version of what happened - happens on an almost daily basis.  Here's the local paper's ombudsman, a conservative voice, on the media coverage:

http://www.cleveland.com/readers/index.ssf?/base/opinion-0/1179650619169080.xml&coll=2

Incredulous....  How can there be nothing to this??  If the races were reversed there would be a national outcry.  That fact alone means we have a media that is deciding what we deserve to hear and read.

This is nothing more than the news outlets deciding that we need to hear about Paris and Anna Nicole before we need to hear real news.  This story was picked up by the AP after all, why did the national media choose not to publish in their papers?

The reason there would be "national outcry" if the races were reversed is that blaclk America (no disrespect intended), led by Jackson, Sharpton an others, sees near EVERY white on black crime as race related.  And the history of the treatment of blacks in this nation enters the fray - via the huge portion of black America that stands for (legitimately, if not always on point) "we will NOT let this happen again!".

BTW - Whisk - thanks for that link.  Good article.  I hope Malkin, who I like, sees it.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 11:03:59 AM »

Well, yes, kid, but then the story would not be what happened to that unfortunate couple, it would be Sharpton and Jackson are pointing out what happened to that unfortunate couple.  Sharpton and Jackson would make it news.  There really isn't anyone who made it news, until the blogs got a hold of it, and it is now being reported on because the blogs are making it news.  It's sort of a comparable route, if you think about it, except blogs don't carry the newsmaking clout of Jackson and sharpton.

See, that's what kam is missing.  Things like this happen all the time, and unless there's something unordinary about it, they don't get reported outside of the locality, unless someone tries to make it symbolic news.

liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 02:42:43 PM »

Whether she was a distraction or not, the sheriff did not have the authority to change her sentence

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 03:05:12 PM »

The story of the eighteen-year-old from Kansas City who was murdered recently surely is getting a lot of press.  One wonders why after reading about this young couple who were so gruesomely murdered.  I guess if the crime involves a pretty, wholesome-looking young woman, that qualifies it as more important.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2007, 03:18:47 PM »

Pretty wild

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2007, 03:24:33 PM »

The story of the eighteen-year-old from Kansas City who was murdered recently surely is getting a lot of press.  One wonders why after reading about this young couple who were so gruesomely murdered.  I guess if the crime involves a pretty, wholesome-looking young woman, that qualifies it as more important.
Well, you know, whenever a young coed like that is killed, there's always the, "She was so pretty!  It's such a tragedy" aspect.  The logical counter being, if she was ugly, better off dead.  Call it a mercy killing and go on.

The media is about what sells, first and foremost.  Always has been and will be. 

liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 03:33:10 PM »

I didn't mean to imply that the sheriff changed her sentence, just that the practical aspects of holding a celebrity in jail may have been a consideration in the decision as to how/where her sentence was to be served.  Another consideration, evident in the decision to change the first decision, was the public outcry that ensued.

Actually in the original sentencing, the judge specifically spelled out that home detention was not an option

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 03:56:13 PM »

She's screaming, she's crying, but reportedly Paris Hilton is back in jail.
http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp?S=6632651
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 04:00:24 PM »

The Kansas girl was a big topic of discussion at my work.  In addition to the already cited, "she was young, she was beautiful, she just graduated high school" sentiment was the "it happened at Target" aspect.  Apparently, that's something everyone I work with relates to  -- I go there too, guess I just don't think it's some kind of safe haven -- and there's a big "that could have been me/my daughter" factor.  At least, with the handful of women with whom I work, that's the case.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »

She’s becoming a bit player.

Don't tell her that -- she'll start screaming and crying all over again.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 04:32:20 PM »

Well, yes, kid, but then the story would not be what happened to that unfortunate couple, it would be Sharpton and Jackson are pointing out what happened to that unfortunate couple.  Sharpton and Jackson would make it news.  There really isn't anyone who made it news, until the blogs got a hold of it, and it is now being reported on because the blogs are making it news.  It's sort of a comparable route, if you think about it, except blogs don't carry the newsmaking clout of Jackson and sharpton.

See, that's what kam is missing.  Things like this happen all the time, and unless there's something unordinary about it, they don't get reported outside of the locality, unless someone tries to make it symbolic news.

Like.....Huh  I've never heard of anything like this happening. 

I should take the word of a local hack protecting his paper? Or a sheriff who has political motives?  Whatever the reason for this crime, it should have been reported.  Instead we get Paris updates around the clock. How are we a better society? How am i any safer with Paris in jail? On the other hand, what happened to the Knoxville couple could happen again so why wouldn't the news report it?  Why wouldn't they talk about it? 

MM posits its because the story doesn't fit into any kind of politically correct moral narrative.  But Paris... hey everyone hates her so lets talk her up 24hrs a day.  Meanwhile real news happens...

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 04:34:06 PM »

Are you saying that HATE CRIME can never be black on white?  or Gay on Straight?  I really want to understand why you defend the national media on this one.
I never said any such thing, and there is nothing in what I've posted that supports such a strange reading of my posts.  I was relying on the sherrif, who knows a holy f*** more about the circumstances than you do, who said there is no evidence of race animus.

Ok so i show sincere interest in your opinion and ask for clarification and you respond like a dick. Thanks.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »

MM posits its because the story doesn't fit into any kind of politically correct moral narrative.
I would posit it's MM who has the political moral narrative.  But you wouldn't consider that a possibility, now would you - though of course an ombudsman reporter, whose job is to fairly deal with public complaints and who has often been critical of his paper's coverage, and the chief law enforcement official in the jurisdiction - oh, they are biased.  But this conservative talking head, tells the straight story.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »

Ok so i show sincere interest in your opinion and ask for clarification and you respond like a dick. Thanks.
You ask a question like a dick, you get treated like a dick.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: