Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 11:53:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 10569 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »

I asked what had to be there to prove a Hate Crime.  I wanted clarification.  I said I really want to understand why you defend the national media. 

So just chill with your PMS reactions.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2007, 05:30:03 PM »

What is it about heinous black-on-white crime that isn't newsworthy?  Because it happens all the time? No.

I think the media is too afraid of the reaction to the story.  They don't want to start more racial friction. But let me ask whats worse:  Local handgun sales going through the roof in those neighborhoods or sharing the word nationally that something bad went down?

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2007, 05:35:35 PM »

Who will defend the media on ignoring real news like this, while at the same consuming the airtime and webpages devoted to Paris and Anna Nicole?  Please step up.

-Dave Attell
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2007, 05:36:43 PM »

No, you implied that I took the position that black on white couldn't be a hate crime.  A hate crime is when race (for isntance) is the reason for the crime.  Economic crime doesn't become a hate crime jsut because the races are different.

The media did not jump on the story because there was no story to jump on.  It's a local police story.  Tragedy.  Particularly vicious.  Perps caught.  Big news in Tennessee, not so big in Kentucky, let alone New York.  Tomorrow is another day.

What do you think should happen at the NY Times?  "Holy smokes!  Did you see this AP story?  Two people in Tennessee were killed!  Woodstien!  Bernward!  Yer on it!  Go to Tennessee and don't stop until you bring the sotry home!  Spare no expense!"  Nope.  Bored editor gets the story.  "Two people killed in Tennessee.  Do we got space?  No?  Anything different about it except the viciousness?  No?  Just let it run on the web ticker.  People in the East Village or Queens are going to be more interested in that trash handling story.  Hell they probably don't even know where Tennessee is.:

THAT'S why the main stream media doesn't hadle the story.  There was no point of local interest to it.  How many murder stories from Tennessee do you think the NYT covers, on average, in a given year?  If they report on any it's a paragraph blurb.  This story was never different until bloggers with a race agenda got ahold of it.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2007, 05:41:32 PM »

No, you implied that I took the position that black on white couldn't be a hate crime.

I asked.. i said "Are you saying that...."  I didn't attribute it to you. Thats crazy.

Its a story whenever someone is murdered and apparently tortured.  That to me qualifies as News.  What passes for the news today pisses me off.  Why didn't at least ONE major mainstream news outlet cover the story?  Why do all the major news broadcasts look the same? Why do they all serve us our daily ration of nonsense fluff like Paris Hilton?  Why is Paris newsworthy?  Rich people are arrested all the time, right?  Paris is newsworthy for one reason, because the news reports on her.

What they choose to give us, is all we ever get to eat.

-Dave Attell
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »

Who will defend the media on ignoring real news like this, while at the same consuming the airtime and webpages devoted to Paris and Anna Nicole?  Please step up.
Why is it that the profit motive is so hard to understand?  What do you think sells the most papers or attracts the most viewers:  Couple Murdered in Tenessee, or Hilton Jailed Again?  Why on earth wouldn't you think the profit motive works in newspapers?

Oh, because someone with a clear up front agenda to criticize anything left of Amon Goeth says its part of the MSM's bias.  Well, there you have it.

Local paper ran for weeks on a story about an African American who shot and killed a jeuvenille who was trying to rob him.  Big story locally because the guy who killed the kid had a concealed carry permit, and it was the first time a concealed carry weapon was used in a killing, albeit a justifiable one, and some of the dead kids friends were upset.  Lots of interesting issues raised and reported on.  Coverage in the NYT?  Nope.  Is it because the NYT is trying to avoid stories or slant reporting leftword?  Nope.  it's because no one in New York is going to buy a single paper or watch a minute of news coverage because of it.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2007, 06:05:04 PM »

if thats true, SHAME on the people of New York.

But we were never given a chance to show our lack of interest, someone made the decision not to include it in the paper.

And any news person who thinks covering Paris Hilton is going to give them a journalistic or economic dvantage over the other news outlets is nuts.  SportsCenter on ESPN just opened with Paris Freakin Hilton.  SPORTS CENTER!

What does she have to do with SPORTS?

The media is loathsome.

-Dave Attell
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2007, 06:05:21 PM »

It is at this point that I should note that Criterion's release of Billy Wilder's brilliant, acerbic, cynical and surprisingly still fresh and apt look at the ways in which the media creates stories and covers the stories of their own creation, Ace in the Hole, will hit the streets on July 17.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »

if thats true, SHAME on the people of New York.

But we were never given a chance to show our lack of interest, someone made the decision not to include it in the paper.

And any news person who thinks covering Paris Hilton is going to give them a journalistic or economic dvantage over the other news outlets is nuts.  SportsCenter on ESPN just opened with Paris Freakin Hilton.  SPORTS CENTER!

What does she have to do with SPORTS?

The media is loathsome.
I suspect that there is enough brutal crime in Queens that gets reported locally - much of it black on white - that what happens in Tennessee is not going to be of any real special interest.

What do you think - a newspaper covers EVERYTHING that comes off the wires?  There are, what, a thousand murders in this country every year.  99% are not going to be reported in any specific newspaper, because a newspaper is not an omnibus over everything, every where.  That's why they have people called "Editors."  How was the NYT supposed to know that agenda reeking blogs and talking heads were going to jump on the story five months later?  They treated it like every other out of town double homicide.  EVERY other one.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2007, 06:13:39 PM »

There are what?  10s if not 100s of major newspapers and media outlets.

ONE would be a start.

-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2007, 06:17:49 PM »

How many murders are quintuple homicides that involve carjacking and robbery?? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_Massacre

How many murders are conspired by 5 people on two complete strangers?

Yes, there are thousands of murders.  Not all of them need national coverage.

But who gets to decide which ones get the coverage?  And what makes any particular one worthy?

And what does it say about US that they keep serving us Paris Hilton.

-Dave Attell
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2007, 06:18:49 PM »

It was heavily covered as a local story by the local papers.  Since it went out on the AP, I assume other papers picked it up and gave it a column inch or so as filler.  The others made an editorial news decision not to give it space because there was no reason to.  In other words, it was treated like a regular double homicide sotry because that is what it was.  If there was some element that made it a hate crime, it would have gotten coverage.  No one considered it a hate crime until the blogs with race agendas got to it - it was a local crime story treated precisely like every other local crime story.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2007, 06:31:45 PM »

But who gets to decide which ones get the coverage?  And what makes any particular one worthy?
Newspaper editors.  And note that there was no massive coverage of this particular event in any of the conservative papers, either.  Was it covered in the Washington Moonie?  The Daily News?  The Detroit News?  Was it a focal point of a Bill O"Rielly report?  Show up regulalry on Faux news?  Nope.  And for the same reason it wasn't covered in the NYT: because their editors saw the story and did not think it would spark enough interest in to give it more than a paragraph or an inch of coverage, if that.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »

Well seems they were very wrong about the lack of interest, wouldn't you say?

Its seems to me that it was a hate crime.  Perhaps I am too inclusive in what constitutes a Hate Crime.  Maybe there were no racist slogans spray painted on the walls, but to treat the victims in that manner there must have been some kind of extra grudge.  Thats my take. 

I think this is the precise reason why the story was buried. They don't want us talking about black hate crimes on white people. America doesn't want to confront that there are blacks who hate whites just like there is a KKK that hates blacks and jews. The only hate crimes you will see in the media are white on black or straight on gay etc. The fact is, the white liberal guilt in the media allows us to romanticize about the evil KKK but we have no counterpoint for black on white crime.  Its not made a big deal of. 

Look at England.  They're trying to do the same with Muslim crime.  Marginalize it.  But make a big deal out of crimes where Muslims are the victims.  Its a retarded form of racism.

Report everything. Thats why there are so many damn channels.  Let us decide what sells.  People are itching to talk about race in this country but the media will only talk about race when it fits an agenda.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 06:36:10 PM by kam » Logged

-Dave Attell
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »

Well seems they were very wrong about the lack of interest, wouldn't you say?
No.  There really isn't that much interest in the story outside of the blogs and their readers.

Its seems to me that it was a hate crime.  Perhaps I am too inclusive in what constitutes a Hate Crime.  Maybe there were no racist slogans spray painted on the walls, but to treat the victims in that manner there must have been some kind of extra grudge.  Thats my take.
Well, now, much of the story has been exaggerated in the blogs, so keep that in mind.  But the people investigating the murders see no reason to think that race was a motive behind the crime.  And just because you wish it were otherwise does not make the sherrif and the police biased.

The fact is, the white liberal guilt in the media allows us to romanticize about the evil KKK but we have no counterpoint for black on white crime.  Its not made a big deal of. 
So why does white liberal guilt prevent the story from being printed in Murdoch owned papers?  In the Washington Times?  On Faux News?

Report everything. Thats why there are so many damn channels.  Let us decide what sells.  People are itching to talk about race in this country but the media will only talk about race when it fits an agenda.
EVERYTHING?  How big a newspaper do you think it will take to print every crime story?  1000 pages a day?  Don't be silly.  Every news organ has to filter it out.

Oh yeah, the media and its agenda.  Like the bloggers and right wing people who have made this an issue didn't have one, right?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37
  Print  

Jump to: