Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 10:39:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 10624 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2007, 06:56:51 PM »

EVERYTHING?  How big a newspaper do you think it will take to print every crime story?

A)Thats why newspapers are going the way of the dinosaur. 

B)I didn't say that. Not every news-paper has to report every crime, but on TV we have the capability. Onlline we have the capability....

C) this wasn't a NORMAL murder where 'man stabs man' end of story.  Report this kind of abnormal stuff... its news! 

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »

Onlline we have the capability....
And it was available on line, right?  The AP, the Tennessee papers....  How do you think the bloggers got ahold of it?

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2007, 07:48:28 PM »

And hopefully we can make it to color tee-vee someday.  Just as soon as america gets its fix of Celebreality!

Angry

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2007, 03:37:01 AM »

No, you implied that I took the position that black on white couldn't be a hate crime.  A hate crime is when race (for isntance) is the reason for the crime.  Economic crime doesn't become a hate crime jsut because the races are different.

The media did not jump on the story because there was no story to jump on.  It's a local police story.  Tragedy.  Particularly vicious.  Perps caught.  Big news in Tennessee, not so big in Kentucky, let alone New York.  Tomorrow is another day.

What do you think should happen at the NY Times?  "Holy smokes!  Did you see this AP story?  Two people in Tennessee were killed!  Woodstien!  Bernward!  Yer on it!  Go to Tennessee and don't stop until you bring the sotry home!  Spare no expense!"  Nope.  Bored editor gets the story.  "Two people killed in Tennessee.  Do we got space?  No?  Anything different about it except the viciousness?  No?  Just let it run on the web ticker.  People in the East Village or Queens are going to be more interested in that trash handling story.  Hell they probably don't even know where Tennessee is.:

THAT'S why the main stream media doesn't hadle the story.  There was no point of local interest to it.  How many murder stories from Tennessee do you think the NYT covers, on average, in a given year?  If they report on any it's a paragraph blurb.  This story was never different until bloggers with a race agenda got ahold of it.

I'll take Kam's side here

Could you envision the 4 defendants committing this crime (the rape and murder) vs a black couple?

I can't.

Thus race factors in although it may have initially been an economic crime (the robbery).
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2007, 08:53:03 AM »

Could you envision the 4 defendants committing this crime (the rape and murder) vs a black couple?

I can't.
Why not?  Black on black crime exists, and it can be as brutal as you wish to imagine. 

What does it matter?  All is grace.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2007, 02:08:50 PM »

Nah - sorry - can't imagine it
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2007, 12:17:24 AM »

I see it didn't slip David Duke's attention:

http://www.davidduke.com/general/1998_1998.html
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2007, 12:18:23 AM »

But, I'm not sure what this all has to do with celebreality.  Everyone knows that the most important story is the reincarceration of Paris Hilton.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »

Okay, I confess.  I bought a NY Daily News yesterday pretty much because of the headline "Princes and the Pee."  I just love a good New York headline.  Anyway, five showers later, I still feel dirty. 
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »

But, I'm not sure what this all has to do with celebreality.  Everyone knows that the most important story is the reincarceration of Paris Hilton.

Funny...

Was this as big a story everywhere else in the country as it was here in So Cal?

I heard the Sheriff's press conference live on the radio.  He was basically being called out by everyone from the judge to every radio host all day prior to appearing.  He threw a lot of it back at the judge for grandstanding and refusing to listen to closed chambers disclosure...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2007, 07:56:34 AM »

Hell, Paris was all over CNN International and BBC.  Even the Lithuanian newspapers covered the story.  The way these celebs have seeped into the "real news" is really something.  I thought that was what entertainment programs and channels were for.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »

Hell, Paris was all over CNN International and BBC.  Even the Lithuanian newspapers covered the story.  The way these celebs have seeped into the "real news" is really something.  I thought that was what entertainment programs and channels were for.

Well, my wife is usually watching those when I get hom (entertainment channels) so I can;t tell the difference half the time anyway...
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »

I'm so sick of this already.  The only good that came out of it is that a celebrity can go to jail and it might make law  officials think twice before letting a celbrity get out of jail free card.

Now the fuss is about how her parents skipped forward in line to see her while lowly peons had to wait hours or return another day.

Remind me never to go to a Hilton hotel.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2007, 12:12:18 AM »

The thing is she should have never gone to jail in the first place.  The judge was the one responsible for turning this sordid episode into a three-ring circus, simply because he felt he had to teach little Paris a lesson.  It seems to have only increased her celebrity stardom, as so much sympathy has been directed toward her as a result of this fiasco.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2007, 08:55:56 AM »

She drove on a suspended license on multiple occasions as a result of a DUI, as far as I'm concerned jail was well merited

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37
  Print  

Jump to: